Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

I barely bothered with Strikeforce between 2006 and 2008. I went out of my to watch Frank Shamrock's fight with Baroni (yes, I know, Frank wasn't really relevant in 2007), but the rest of their shows I could take or leave. 

It was only in 2009 that I started following them properly. 

• Paid Members

That Shamrock vs Baroni fight felt big time though (even though it really wasn’t) so I can understand why it hooked you in. I remember the buildup to that fight being fun and it made the fight more anticipated than it really had any right to be. Especially by 2007.

2009 is about when I started watching them regularly as well. I’d dipped in and out before that, just the odd show. I think Nick Diaz vs Frank Shamrock was my proper starting point. Then not long after that you had stuff like Cyborg vs Carano and Fedor signing. Then the 2009 end of year show with the Le vs Smith 1 and Melendez vs Thomson 2 double header absolutely sealed the deal. If you weren’t a Strikeforce fan after that show you never would be. 

I forgot about Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le in 2008. I was well into that fight as well. 

It was only me, and the fans who attended the HP Pavilion in San Jose to watch his fights, that really cared about Franky Shams in the late 2000s. And even I knew deep down that he wasn't anywhere near a top fighter anymore.