Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Panhead said:

Junior Dos Santos has been released from the UFC. I didn't expect that! Bellator next? 

I think the writing was on the wall with that one, to be fair. He’s coming off 4 stoppage losses in a row now.

Overeem’s gone as well.

Whether he’s been ‘cut’ or this is part of him retiring, I don’t know. Either way he’s gone. I’m guessing it’s more Overeem’s decision in this case because he was on a winning streak before the Volkov fight. I don’t think they’d have just cut him loose off that one loss. 

You know, Wand, I'd completely forgotten that he'd lost his last four. I don't know if it was the void of 2020, but for some reason I thought the win over Derrick Lewis was only a couple of fights ago for him. 

I wonder if money has anything to do with Overeem going? He always seemed to be making decent coin on the disclosed fees. Didn't he get a couple of hundred grand more than Stipe in their title fight? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

He isn't, hes fighting at 205lb in Bellator. 

Ah, my misunderstanding. I thought you'd posted a link to something saying he was slated to compete at WW, rather than just making an observation on his size.

• Paid Members

Don’t know where it started and I’m yet to see it anywhere I’d consider really reputable but there’s all sorts on Twitter that Robbie Lawler has been cut now.

E48C1F39-13E0-4A2A-87C4-81E0D15DADE8.gif

I mean, I get why. I get why. But still. Not Slobberknocker Rob.

Urijah Faber’s the other name going around but meh. I can live with that. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Surprising if true. I'd have thought Lawley still carried a decent amount of value to the UFC? Unless he's getting paid a shit tonne & wasn't up for taking a pay cut?

Yeah, like JDS, he’s coming off 4 straight losses but I still think he’s worth keeping around. His last 2 losses were to Covington and Magny, who are tricky for most fighters at 170. And one of the other losses was the Askren one which was a weird fight all round and Lawler was giving him a hiding for most of it.

They’ve been shite at matchmaking with Lawler lately. Nobody wants to see him ragged about by top contenders. He’s not in that mix anymore. The Mike Perry booking for late last year got me hoping they’d realised that and would match him with guys like that going forward but it fell apart. It’s mad that in a division full of potentially great fights for Lawler with the likes of Perry, Niko Price, Santiago Ponzinibbio, a Carlos Condit rematch, even Dan Hardy, he kept ending up in these grinding fights with legit contenders who are in their prime. Nobody wants that.

Just looked at his Wiki page and he turns 39 in a couple of weeks. Pushing 40, 0-4 in his last 4 etc. I can see why they’d let him go (if they even have), but it’s still disappointing. Maybe you’re right though. These things always come down to dollars and cents and you have to imagine Lawler is on decent coin given his tenure there. He could still probably get a sweet offer elsewhere. 

Sucks balls though. In the last few months the UFC have parted ways with Anderson Silva, Yoel Romero, Rumble Johnson, Anthony Pettis, Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos and possibly Lawler and Faber. Not to mention Khabib and Cormier retiring. That’s a big chunk of names to lose in a short space of time. Some of them I’m fine with. Anderson and Faber just feel like a case of ‘it’s time.’ JDS too really. But I’m still not over Yoel going, I’m gutted we’re probably never getting that Jones vs Rumble fight now or even Rumble vs Ngannou and I still think there was mileage and fun to be had in keeping Pettis around. And Lawler. Meanwhile, Jake Collier and Bethe Correia are still on the roster. Yay. I know they’re cheaper but there’s a reason for that. They’re fucking shite. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Well, at least there's now a chance that Lawler/Pettis could still happen if Lawler signs for the PFL.

EDIT: A thought occurs. Coker might try and sign Lawler so he can book Lawler/MacDonald III. I know it's already decided as a trilogy, but he might bank on people being so high on II that it might move the needle to book it.

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Well, at least there's now a chance that Lawler/Pettis could still happen if Lawler signs for the PFL.

EDIT: A thought occurs. Coker might try and sign Lawler so he can book Lawler/MacDonald III. I know it's already decided as a trilogy, but he might bank on people being so high on II that it might move the needle to book it.

Unfortunately Rory has gone to PFL so if Robbie does go there then there’s two possible mouth watering fights for him.