The origins of UKFF (questions)

Maikeru

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Statto said:

He did, but not a huge amount.

Chris Hamrick did as well, for a bit (when he was working for FWA semi-regularly).

Didn't know off-topic posts counted towards your count now? TIL something, I guess.

Fascinating - was he well received, or were people asking him stupid questions all the time?

13 hours ago, Maikeru said:

Appreciate all of the answers may not be known; any responses would be great. 

4) What are some of the funniest threads in history to check out? 

There are loads from Off Topic but in particular the Facebook thread: 

Many of the replies have me howling and I revisit it at least once a month.

• Paid Members

I've said it before but when I was training to wrestle, it felt like everybody in BritWres at least lurked here, although I don't think that's the case anymore with all the other avenues like Twitter. 

UKFFer was basically an insult and still is in some circles - which is a shame as the board is probably the sanest place to discuss wrestling on the Internet, despite it's bad rep. I think people still think of it as the place Alex Shane ran angles, full of Dem Wanz posters, when it's very much the opposite now. 

• Paid Members

If you're looking for a good thread to read, they don't come much better than the one in Off Topic Gold titled 'all sorted'. You'll be tittering to yourself throughout the whole thread. The Barry Collins thread in gold is also worth a browse.

• Paid Members

The principle mover behind the forum, which began in late 98 or early 99 IIRC was Junkman. There are still a few of us around from the very early days - Astro Hollywood or Neil (is Neil still here?) may remember more.

• Paid Members

I joined either in 2001 or 2002. I was certainly reading this place in 2001 as I remember the 9/11 thread. 

Something that hasn't been mentioned is we used to have an e-fed subforum. 

• Paid Members

My friend recommended this place to me around 2002 after FWA put on a local show we decided to pop along to. He heard about FWA from listening to the Tommy Boyd/Alex Shane wrestling show on Talk Radio whilst working at his uncle's shop. I mainly used to come on here to find out FWA news (such as which import they were 'bringing over' next etc).

Probably the earliest truly great thread I remember was the Rob Feinstein sting. It was incredible reading that story unfold.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

My friend recommended this place to me around 2002 after FWA put on a local show we decided to pop along to. He heard about FWA from listening to the Tommy Boyd/Alex Shane wrestling show on Talk Radio whilst working at his uncle's shop. I mainly used to come on here to find out FWA news (such as which import they were 'bringing over' next etc).

Probably the earliest truly great thread I remember was the Rob Feinstein sting. It was incredible reading that story unfold.

Link? I'd like to read that. Is it in Gold?

• Paid Members

Add me to the list of people who discovered this place via it hosting the FWA. 

Sign up date for me was Feb 2002 which makes me 15 at the time. I'm sure I was lurking for a while before that but the wrestling promoter who was taking advantage of me at the time wanted me to plug his shows on here and sort out his website. 

If I recall correctly, I found Rev Pro promoter Andy Quildan advertising his web services through classifieds and he built a few websites in exchange for some tapes. Ah the good old days. 

• Paid Members

I forget which forum it was, it was either Rajah or the Tape Traders forum, but I first heard about this place due to a thread saying "Is The UKFF Down?" (I think it was mentioned in Power Slam once or twice as well). This was around 2003. 

I didn't get off to the greatest of starts, mostly due to being new to the Internet and also just generally being an arse (I've matured now, honestly!) 

Favourite threads? The "Design a Bad Wrestling Poster" from a couple of years ago still has me howling now. 

Sgt S. Lorter, The Fat Bloek, An Actual Undertaker! 

There's a lot here that used to be on the old wrestling channel forum right? 

I was active on that a decade ago, I was like 14/15 so was a bit of a pillock. I might have posted on here very briefly, but only really started reading the place after getting back into wrestling in 2014. Started posting about a year afterwards 

Got a couple of negative end of year awards nominations for being "white noise" (I do ramble a bit) but I'm glad this place is about. Refreshingly sensible graps chat for a change, for the most part and some good laughs to be had. 

I discovered this place sometime in 2004, when I was being a shitarse with some shitarse promotion. They told me that if I wanted to "make it" in Britwres, I should never sign up to or even look at UKFF.

So naturally I started lurking. I think I eventually signed up in 2005 or 2006, I'm too lazy to click one button to find out. This place helped me realise that I didn't belong in a wrestling ring, which I'm thankful for. Had I continued "wrestling" I undoubtedly would've been on the shitarse 50. An accolade I wouldn't have been proud of, unlike Ronin.

One of my favourite threads on here is in off topic gold. The one about Midas and unrequited love. I re-read it last week, suffering that awful pink tank-top photo again. Such a funny thread.

Archived