The origins of UKFF (questions)

Maikeru

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil is brill said:

So naturally I started lurking. I think I eventually signed up in 2005 or 2006, I'm too lazy to click one button to find out.

Nov 2005. Only had to hover on your username :)

1 hour ago, neil is brill said:

One of my favourite threads on here is in off topic gold. The one about Midas and unrequited love. I re-read it last week, suffering that awful pink tank-top photo again. Such a funny thread.

Brilliant stuff that. Dunno why but I've still got the pic he posted of the girl. She was nice.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, eugenespeed said:

Favourite threads? The "Design a Bad Wrestling Poster" from a couple of years ago still has me howling now. 

Sgt S. Lorter, The Fat Bloek, An Actual Undertaker! 

"An Actual Undertaker"  from HarmonicGenerator is still fucking brilliant. Just checked the thread and laughed like I did the first time

• Paid Members

When did TWCF close down? Was it 2006? That's when I signed up here and I think it was because TWCF closed.

In regards to funny threads - you have to check out the "All Sorted" one that has already been mentioned.

What was the thread where someone on here got a scammer from Africa to send a picture of him with a sign, which said something like "UKFF sells fish" or something like that? Sorry I have a terrible memory. If someone can remember more details, or even post a link to it, I would be very grateful!

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, waters44 said:

What was the thread where someone on here got a scammer from Africa to send a picture of him with a sign, which said something like "UKFF sells fish" or something like that? Sorry I have a terrible memory. If someone can remember more details, or even post a link to it, I would be very grateful!

"I sell Yorkie Terrier meat to Ji Sung Park". It's in one of the 'post of the year' awards threads.

I started posting back in the early 2000's also, a few years usernames/accounts later but this forum has always been a constant source for wrestling news and views, I pretty much do not visit many other wrestling sites. I have always enjoyed reading the opinions of most people here in both the on topic and off topic forums and  there has been some cracking threads/posts over the years.

The wrestling poster thread needs a part 2 I think!

15 minutes ago, waters44 said:

When did TWCF close down? Was it 2006? That's when I signed up here and I think it was because TWCF closed.

It must have been later than that, I distinctly remember hearing about Chris Benoit's death on TWCF and then following the story in complete awe as it developed. 

That was the main reason I didn't follow wrestling for a few years afterwards, the business just made me feel grubby for a while and I thought I'd 'grown out of it' 

When did the channel cease to be? The founder of it posts here right? Wish it was still about. TWC and Channel U were the only TV channels I used to bother with, both gone now :(

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, JNLister said:

IIRC, Fight Network bought it out in January 2008. It then shut down in December 2008.

All I remember from that period was the loud bald bloke off Cage Rage shouting "this is gonna be a great fight" every 10 seconds.

I do wonder what you'd get if you had a wrestling channel in 2017? There's so many promotions about. And there's more hardcores around these days that might make a New Japan or PWG a success on the channel.

• Paid Members

In the age of on-demand, I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to set up something like the wrestling channel these days without being able to offer some pretty significant rights fees.

Something like Floslam is probably indicative of the sort of promotions that you'd see featured if it did happen - NJPW and PWG already have models in place that work for them.

Edit: I found this place in 2004 after meeting Moj at a show and going for a pint with him afterwards. I lurked for a year before signing up and then refused to use capital letters and signed off all my posts :(  I was super active on here for a while (hence the positive award that's still my user title some 9 years later) but then went through a horrific break up and got super depressed and withdrew from pretty much everything, all this whilst trying to run the 2009 Secret Santa. Sorry about that.

• Paid Members

Think I was recommended to go to this forum in 2004 or so, when I met up with The Mighty LC (and later Catfish Jake, and still later many more currently active UKFFers like Gadge and UK Gingerman) through attending live shows, but had no real way of getting in touch with them. LC reached out to me at the forum I modded at and I signed up here, and went on to be rubbish to varying degrees and volume for the next 13 years. I don't post often now, and I also don't watch much/any wrestling (haven't watched a WWE show in a year or so), so it's all a bit pointless now. Had fun, though.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Three posts into that thread gives us one of the best zingers in UKFF history.

Don't know how I missed that, absolutely perfect.

• Paid Members

Probably been mentioned but the phishing scammer getting scammed and the associated pictures/Photoshop efforts were incredible. Revisited it a few weeks ago and still got a laugh out of it. Gold from start to finish.

Archived