It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I'd guess that Trump's 'concession statement' will probably be just enough to ward off any serious talk of Amendment 25 being activated now.

I think it is a toss up now. The events of yesterday might be enough for proper republicans to invoke the 25th. Retrumplicans won't. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No chance they invoke. I'll take that bet any day.

I think we are close than ever but I think you are probably right. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably they'll just lame duck him out for two more weeks. 

Think of the damage he can do in the next two weeks though. 

• Paid Members

The video of "Elizabeth from Knoxville, Tennessee" is crazy. It's astounding how many of these fuckwits don't seem to understand that they've committed actual crimes. Not fucking minor ones either. She just casually admitted that she was trying to overthrow the United States Government. Mace is the least of her problems.

Same with the guy who not only broke into Nancy Pelosi's office and stole stuff but happily posed with it for journalists. How can he possibly think he's going to get away with that?

• Paid Members

The sad thing is they probably will get away with it.  The inauguration could be  a horror show.

• Moderators

I don't know who these Republican legislators with a moral conscience are that you've imagined but if you can name one person other than Mitt Romney who would be likely to do this then please let me know. And the only reason he doesn't give a shit is because he is the only one who doesn't rely on Trump's base to get elected. They went all in on Trump and regardless of how they feel about anything he's done and how much they want to draw their distance they are shitting themselves trying to figure out the most politically expedient way to do so. 

There's no way they manage to agree something as big as invoking the 25th 2 weeks before the end of the presidency unilaterally with him so embedded in the party now.

20 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't know who these Republican legislators with a moral conscience are that you've imagined but if you can name one person other than Mitt Romney who would be likely to do this then please let me know. And the only reason he doesn't give a shit is because he is the only one who doesn't rely on Trump's base to get elected. They went all in on Trump and regardless of how they feel about anything he's done and how much they want to draw their distance they are shitting themselves trying to figure out the most politically expedient way to do so. 

There's no way they manage to agree something as big as invoking the 25th 2 weeks before the end of the presidency unilaterally with him so embedded in the party now.

There was a video yesterday circulating of Todd Young (Rep-Indiana) saying that while he wanted rump to remain President, he took an oath and opinions don’t matter.

The highlight though is the woman in the red coat at the end

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There was a video yesterday circulating of Todd Young (Rep-Indiana) saying that while he wanted rump to remain President, he took an oath and opinions don’t matter.

Completely meaningless words though. Any of them might spout off but they all fall in line if there's something to actually vote on. 

• Paid Members

If you wish to maintain your sanity, I suggest you don't look at Newsmax's Twitter feed and definately steer clear of the responses. Fuck me....It genuinely scares me what these robots will believe.

Edited by garynysmon

I know there's some quite serious systemic issues of trust in the fabric of America's politics and media, but you'd have to wonder if even half the yee-haws who showed up yesterday really believe in this stuff. The reasons for the news media to make a big deal out of this are sincere and just, but there's another angle here. And that is that after near on two months of giving it socks, there simply wasn't enough conviction there in the end from Trump's support base.

Jesus, if I thought Ireland's elections outcomes were being genuinely manipulated to such an extent I'd probably be chained to a government building myself. With respect to the disgrace that it was, surely it pales in comparison - thankfully - to the disgrace it could have been. Most of the crowd showed up for a good ol' time. Their Glastonbury. A relatively tiny minority done a smash and grab on government buildings that seemed to last about as long as a few games of Fifa. 

There's no doubt Trumpism is here to stay, and there'll doubtless be future threats and violence, but it's worth remembering in between all the shock and outrage how utterly toothless most of this lot are. The t-shirts, the chanting. It's the "Fuck everything establishment" brigade having a tailgate party. 

• Paid Members

Yep the right wing Trump lot for the most part definitely seem to lack bottle and follow through. They get into the building but once they're in they have no fucking idea what to do and the whole thing becomes a bit of a lark. You feel like if a left wing group got that far they'd still be chained to the walls, fighting the police and getting the guillotines ready. Same thing with the Brexit thugs over here, they'll cause a bit of a fuss but cave and give up quick as anything because really what they believe in as completely shallow and not really worth fighting particularly hard for.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if the BLM and civil rights protestor had gotten in there they would have just razed stuff to the ground and made it as difficult as possible to remove them. This lost just looked like an overenthusiastic group of holiday makers with the way they tended to stick to one side o the velvet ropes and the like. A few got away with "souvenirs" and showed their haul off to their mates and the media like it was something to tell the grandkids.