2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It’s very sad about Walter Beckers’ passing. I’m a huge fan of the Dan and Fagens’ solo work (Beckers’ solo work in fairness, not so much) so this one has made a serious dent on me.

Have tickets for both upcoming Dublin shows, so on a personal, selfish level, I’m gutted I won’t get to see those two wonderful, glorious men perform together again.
The albums Aja and Two Against Nature along with Fagens Nightfly and Kamakiriad are in my top ten albums of all time as I don’t think I’ve heard more perfectly performed, produced or crisper recordings than those particular albums.

Herbie would be an even bigger fan than I of the Dan so I immediately thought of him when I heard the news and wouldn’t be surprised if he goes on a creative binge and writes a multitude of songs in tribute to the great man himself over the next while as his way of dealing with it.

On 03/09/2017 at 6:04 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Ah right, fair enough. Anyway, one of my all time favs. For anyone interested their Classic Albums studio doc regarding the album Aja is brilliant.

Probs on YouTube and has been on sky arts a few times.

Yep it has been on Sky Arts a few times. Think it might be on the Sky on demand service too. In fairness many of the classic albums are excellent. The DVD versions are slightly longer. 

• Paid Members
On 03/09/2017 at 10:50 PM, Abe Mikkel said:

Shelley Berman who plays Larry David's dad died yesterday aged 92.

Coincidentally, I've been rewatching Curb in recent weeks in preparation for the new season. At the end of the episode where Larry dies and is then sent back, I thought the guy playing his dad was a different actor to usual and that maybe he'd died and they'd replaced him. Googled it and he was still alive. Until how. His best performance in Curb is the episode where Larry brings a hooker and weed to his house. 

Former BBC Look North (North East) and Tyne Tees newsreader Mike Neville has died at the age of 80. He was to the North East what Richard Whiteley was to Yorkshire and Gordon Burns was to the North West A stalwart for the local area. 

Probably his biggest claim to fame though is the Viz character Roger Mellie off the telly was based on him. So if it wasn't for Mike Neville we would not have the Profanisaurus. 

Archived