Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The British Bushwacker said:

On the subject of legends matches/shows , i quite liked the 'Old School RAW' that they did a couple of times, old graphics, titantron etc and legends popping up in random matches and segments,  you'd think with 3 hour RAWS they would have done more of them

I would definitely watch if they did another of those.

As someone who doesn't watch Raw week to week, and haven't done so regularly for around 7 years now, I do miss the guest hosts. I know they were far from being universally popular, but I remember tuning in specially if there was someone interesting hosting the show, Bob Barker, Jesse Ventura, Piper etc spring to mind.

1 hour ago, AshC said:

If the Jannetty/Martel match had gone ahead as originally advertised, the Model would have faced the Rockers in singles at successive SummerSlams.

I need new hobbies.

And in '89 he faced them both in a six-man tag.

• Paid Members

Meanwhile Davey Boy Smith and Warlord faced off at all five PPVs in 1991 (first guy Warlord went after in the Rumble, singles at WrestleMania, six-man at SummerSlam, opposing team at Survivor Series, singles at This Tuesday In Texas.)

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I would definitely watch if they did another of those.

As someone who doesn't watch Raw week to week, and haven't done so regularly for around 7 years now, I do miss the guest hosts. I know they were far from being universally popular, but I remember tuning in specially if there was someone interesting hosting the show, Bob Barker, Jesse Ventura, Piper etc spring to mind.

Jesse Ventura as guest host was one of my favourite episodes of RAW in years - I was gutted they never went anywhere with his suggestion that there was a conspiracy in WWE to keep John Cena on top; I must have fantasy booked about two years' worth of TV off the back of that!

In 2009 Jesse said there was a conspiracy to keep Cena as champion; in subsequent years you got R-Truth going full conspiracy theorist, CM Punk doing "shoot" promos about worthy talent being held back, Daniel Bryan's angle against the Authority, and Bray Wyatt talking about "the machine" and so on. Imagine if they had kept Jesse in their good books as a semi-regular guest, and managed to tie all of that together, would have been brilliant. Or a convoluted mess.

17 hours ago, JNLister said:

Meanwhile Davey Boy Smith and Warlord faced off at all five PPVs in 1991 (first guy Warlord went after in the Rumble, singles at WrestleMania, six-man at SummerSlam, opposing team at Survivor Series, singles at This Tuesday In Texas.)

Oddly (or perhaps not), they were then placed as numerically far apart in the subsequent Royal Rumble as possible.

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Jesse Ventura as guest host was one of my favourite episodes of RAW in years - I was gutted they never went anywhere with his suggestion that there was a conspiracy in WWE to keep John Cena on top; I must have fantasy booked about two years' worth of TV off the back of that!

In 2009 Jesse said there was a conspiracy to keep Cena as champion; in subsequent years you got R-Truth going full conspiracy theorist, CM Punk doing "shoot" promos about worthy talent being held back, Daniel Bryan's angle against the Authority, and Bray Wyatt talking about "the machine" and so on. Imagine if they had kept Jesse in their good books as a semi-regular guest, and managed to tie all of that together, would have been brilliant. Or a convoluted mess.

Ventura was the best guest host of Raw by a country mile.

• Paid Members

Guest host time was probably the last period I watched frequently. Bob Barker was my favourite too.

Always remember though, for every Jesse Ventura or Bob Barker, there was a Jeremy Piven...

Edited by Gus Mears

On 02/08/2017 at 0:51 PM, AshC said:

If the Jannetty/Martel match had gone ahead as originally advertised, the Model would have faced the Rockers in singles at successive SummerSlams.

I need new hobbies.

That's a pretty tenuous link. 

Edited by MrK