UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

There was talks off a Rockvato relationship when the both posted Instagram pictures off identical shit tattoos on their finger. 

Reported that the plan is to go back to the Gardens November next year which is quite surprising, Like it though if it's used for November "Supershows"

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Where else do you go with JJ now? I think Dana said he likes the sound of KK/Gadelha, which I'm all for

Yeah I love the sound of Kowalkiewicz vs Gadelha. And they might as well go ahead and make that a #1 contenders match. I know they've both just recently lost to Jedrzejczyk but fuck it. I think it's pretty clear that those two are the top two challengers for JJ in that division. They've both lost to her but they've both given her a hard night's graft. Gadelha's 0-2 but it doesn't tell the whole story of their rivalry as both fights were close (the first especially). And, after last night's fight, I think there's legs in a JJ vs KK rematch in Poland sometime next year.

Sod it, do Kowalkiewicz vs Gadelha and have the winner go for the title. As you say, what else can they do at the minute with Joanna. And at least this way, they give the division some time to work itself out and hopefully a couple of new contenders emerge.

Here's how the strawweight division's looking today...

Champion - Joanna Jedrzejczyk

1- Claudia Gadelha

2- Karolina Kowalkiewicz

3- Carla Esparza

4- Rose Namajunas

5- Jessica Andrade

6- Tecia Torres

7- Joanne Calderwood

8- Paige VanZant

9- Valerie Letourneau

10- Maryna Moroz

11- Jessica Aguilar

12- Michelle Waterson

13- Jessica Penne

14- Alexa Grasso

15- Juliana Lima

You can eliminate most of that lot from the running because they're either coming off losses or not ready. Esparza lost so badly to JJ that I can't see them ever doing a rematch of that one. Namajunas and Calderwood both just lost. Paige is still in rebound mode after her loss to Namajunas. Waterson and Grasso both need more octagon time.

I think they might end up doing Jedrzejczyk vs Jessica Andrade next, actually. Andrade is the highest ranked fresh opponent for JJ. She's only 2-0 at strawweight but she's looked like a killer since making the drop. She bulldozed Penne and Calderwood like they were nothing.

Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade for the title

Kowalkiewicz vs Gadelha in a #1 contenders match

Have the winners face off

That's what I'd like to see.

• Paid Members

205 last night/this morning really delivered that's for sure! An amazing performance from McGregor. Even when I tried to visualise how he might win I didn't picture it being anywhere near as dominating.

Joanna is different gravy, but Karolina had incredible heart and put in a great performance in the loss.

Woodley v Thompson was great, I didn't see it going the five rounds, and really based on the action it's amazing it did. Wonderboy hung in when he was in a lot of danger and they both deserve a lot of plaudits for very good performances. I definitely like the idea of an immediate rematch. And also, as odd as it is, I liked seeing a draw get given, partly based on the fight itself as I think it was a fair result, but sometimes judges seem very reluctant to give draws and 10/8 rounds and it's good to see that they will definitely use these scoring and result options should the situation warrant it.

What a knee from Romero. What's happened with Bisping refusing to fight him? I take it he isn't being given an option?

A good win for Edgar and the same for Khabib, they both looked very good. Khabib is like an anaconda, he's just going to suffocate people at will. But I'm definitely not going to think he's going to run away with things either. He is all wrong style wise for McGregor certainly, but after last night's performance it's only reinforced that Conor only needs the chance to hit you once, and he's going to hit hard and on point and if Khabib or Ferguson can weather that then fair fucks to them.

He just announced at the post fight press conference that he's having a baby.

HE'S having a baby?! Is there no end to the man's ability to make history?

That's the modern thing to say right? "We're pregnant" etc.

You get what I mean.

Not according to Mila Kunis

• Paid Members

I've spent today shaking my head in disbelief every once and a while. McGregor beating Alvarez for the belt is something, but to do so in the manner he did is incredible. One of the greatest performances you will ever see in the UFC. The perfect fight.

Post match was brilliant too.

I had the co main as a draw. Granted, Woodley did more damage in the two rounds he won, but they were never 10-8s. Dana is saying they'll do a rematch; poor Maia.

The Weidman KO was brutal. I was wondering why Yoel wasn't engaging much early doors, but he was probably pacing himself and you can't mess with what he did. He came on strong when he pushed and that knee was out the Matrix.

The post match was fantastic with Yoel marching towards an enthused Madonna, followed by his mental interpreter acting out everything. Bisping got a good ovation too.

Miesha retiring now is commendable. She's clearly on the slide, as that was a shocking performance in truth.

Khabib is terrifying. Dana said during the fight Khabib was screaming at him to give him a title shot.

On Dana, he made mention of how annoyed he was at his production team during the event. He's right too. They very nearly screwed up the Tate retirement and, of course, some numpty forgot McGregor's other belt.

Apparently the belt that Dana gave to Connor after the fight was Woodley's Welterweight belt.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/dana-white-got-tyron-woodleys-belt-to-put-around-conor-mcgregors-waist-after-ufc-205-win/

The UFC belts are all the same arn't they? In that they don't have Heavyweight/Light-Heavyweight etc. on the belt, I always thought it was just the UFC letters with Ultimate Fighting Championship underneath

The only thing that surprised me about the main event was that so few people saw it coming. 

Back on topic, does anyone think that Alvarez is a perfect opponent for McGregor? He's certainly far more suitable for him than Dos Anjos was, that's for sure.

I see McGregor stopping him late 1st or early 2nd.

Alvarez was a perfect opponent for McGregor, the kind of fighter who's decent at most of the game, but outstanding at nothing. Also, he takes plenty of punches, which is what set the alarm bells ringing for me when the fight was announced.

Was always going to finish as it did.

Apparently the belt that Dana gave to Connor after the fight was Woodley's Welterweight belt.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/dana-white-got-tyron-woodleys-belt-to-put-around-conor-mcgregors-waist-after-ufc-205-win/

The UFC belts are all the same arn't they? In that they don't have Heavyweight/Light-Heavyweight etc. on the belt, I always thought it was just the UFC letters with Ultimate Fighting Championship underneath

I was wondering the same. But they actually went backstage and asked Woodley if they could borrow his belt for McGregor to use.

The only thing that surprised me about the main event was that so few people saw it coming.

Back on topic, does anyone think that Alvarez is a perfect opponent for McGregor? He's certainly far more suitable for him than Dos Anjos was, that's for sure.

I see McGregor stopping him late 1st or early 2nd.

Alvarez was a perfect opponent for McGregor, the kind of fighter who's decent at most of the game, but outstanding at nothing. Also, he takes plenty of punches, which is what set the alarm bells ringing for me when the fight was announced.

Was always going to finish as it did.

Them MMA fans when they are right they act like they knew all along and when they are wrong you hear nothing for months

• Paid Members

How do you reckon that party ended up going at Maggie's Waterfront Cafe in Philly, eh?

Few more thoughts on the show...

It's pretty much all been said about Alvarez vs McGregor. It really was a scary performance though. That finishing combo especially was a thing of beauty. Every fucking shot connected. Alvarez is granite to have took all those shots and survived the knockdowns in round one. Then when he got finished in round two it took about a good 4 or 5 hit combo right on the button to put him away and even then he still wasn't completely out.

BT editing McGregor's promo was "weak as piss". What are we, toddlers? Are we going to be corrupted if we hear the word 'fuck' at 5:30am or whatever it was? I've always said BT have been the best channel for UFC coverage by far over the years but this was lame as fuck.

I was disappointed McGregor changed his walkout music again. The Foggy Dew into Hypnotize by Biggie is the best entrance in the game, I'd prefer if he didn't fuck with it. I'm not a superstitious chap but he used a different song at UFC 196 when he lost to Diaz and when I heard his walkout music last night I thought it might be a bad omen again. Pathetic and devoid of all logic, I know, but there we are. Saying that, 50 Cent's "I Get Money" definitely fit him given it's all he goes on about a lot of the time!

Woodley vs Wonderboy gradually built into a hell of a fight. The fourth round was one of the best of the year. I'm not upset at all that we'll no doubt be getting a rematch. Hopefully Woodley's performance will put Rogan's constant banging on about him 'fading due to his muscles' to bed. Or at least cool off on it a bit. Woodley's best round and the closest he came to a finish was the fourth! If his cardio was that bad he wouldn't have had the pop in his punches to drop someone the quality of Thompson twice.

It was weird how he just stopped wrestling as the fight went on though. You'd think him having that success on the ground in the first round, he'd stick with that approach but aside from the odd half hearted attempt he seemed to forget about his wrestling and opted to just stand as a stationary target in front of Wonderboy for much of the fight until his big fourth round.

Bruce Buffer had a nightmare, didn't he? In his hideous jacket that made him look like he was about to be shot out of a fucking cannon. Starts announcing the decision only to stop, leave the cage to make sure he knew what he needed to say, then STILL cocks it all up and announces Woodley the winner when it was a majority draw. Jesus wept.

Really liked Jedrzejczyk vs Kowalkiewicz. Like Woodley vs Thompson it took its time heating up but it turned out to be a very good fight. First time we've ever seen JJ badly hurt like that and it's one of those fights where the loser actually raised their stock even in defeat. I think Kowalkiewicz will have gone up in most peoples' estimation with how she fought last night.

Liked Joanna's post fight interview as well. Fuck this anti JJ movement that's been building lately. She's badass. And most of her haters are probably the same ones who jizz themselves dry over McGregor or Diaz antics. I think she's one of them, like a Diaz, where she's so intense she has to see the opponent as the enemy until the fight is done and dusted. She's usually very respectful after the fight.

Really enjoyed Romero vs Weidman and the finish was spectacular highlight reel stuff. As always with a Yoel Romero fight, it wasn't without controversy. This time it was Romero splashing water all over himself between rounds to make himself slippy. He's a rascal that one. Thought Weidman was looking good early but you can never tell with Romero. He doesn't seem to give much of a shit about winning rounds, he just bounces around like a coiled spring not doing that much but waiting for a chance to explode. You never know when you've got him on the back foot or if he's just plotting your demise. And when he does something, fuck me he makes it count.

I love Yoel. I can look past his dodginess because he's fucking awesome. What of it? There's just something about how he carries himself. He's a loveable maniac. That whole post fight bit was weird as fuck but I loved the mental march and saluting to a stunned crowd who didn't quite know how to take him.

Then the stuff with Romero and Bisping was just gold. Bisping giving the thumbs down then the middle finger, then Romero rambling in his Don Corleone meets Iron Sheik way, Bisping looking confused. All the while Romero's lunatic looking translator (a middle aged man with a topknot bun on his head, for fucks sakes!) hovers over proceedings. It just felt barmy. As the post fight bit of nearly every Romero fight does. Bisping vs Romero has to happen now after that. I fear for Bisping's health if it does happen but at the same time, the build up and press conference between him and Romero will make it all worthwhile. Bisping's going to get savaged though. The fairytale's over.

Oh and Rogan needs to rewatch Yoel Romero vs Tim Kennedy if he thinks Kennedy "brutalised" Romero. Nothing of the sort. It was very much the other way around. Kennedy did rock Yoel pretty bad at one point but he never brutalised shit. And while Rogan was giving Romero shit for sitting on the stool too long in that fight, and fair enough rightly so, he neglected to point out that the reason Kennedy was able to "brutalise" Romero was because he was being a dirty cunt himself and preventing Yoel from defending himself by grabbing his glove...

tim-kennedy-yoel-romero-gif-illegal.gif

So spare me the 'poor Tim Kennedy' bit. They were both guilty of a bit of cheating that night. Romero just isn't sneaky about trying to hide it, he does it blatantly!

Khabib was great. His performance and post-fight interview were brilliant. I thought it was probably his most entertaining fight to date as well. Really enjoyed it and he got the finish. Lightweight is in a funny spot now because I don't know who the shot should go to out of Ferguson and Khabib. They both thouroughly deserve it. I think Ferguson might get it but Khabib's post-fight promo might start some momentum now on a Conor vs Khabib fight. We'll see.

I like Raquel Pennington but she isn't the brightest bulb, is she?

"Like I always say...err, I dunno"

"I've got a whole toolbox full of...tools you haven't seen yet"

Oh dear :blush:

On a more positive note, biggest win by far of her career. Surprisingly lacklustre fight I thought but that fucking guillotine! Christ. Looked nasty.

Really good show. 2016's been full of 'em.

Archived