UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I've noticed that such was Conor's dominance and brilliance during the main event, I've heard/read a number of people say Alvarez isn't anything special. A shame some think that because it means Conor's legendary performance is lost on them a bit. It was the MMA equivalent of that El Clasico where Barcelona won 5-0 and made a Madrid featuring Ronaldo look like East Fife.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie's a very tough scrapper but I always felt McGregor would be able to pick him off at range. The worry was always if he couldn't put him away early. I think the big tests for him at 155 are Khabib and Ferguson, but the former was rocked by Michael Johnson and the latter rocked by Lando Vanatta. I suspect Conor hits much harder than both. 

• Paid Members

Such a brilliant event - Conor's PPVs always deliver top to bottom and this might have been the best yet. The only fight I wasn't feeling was Tate v Pennington. 

Conor was on another level and Alvarez looked like a rabbit in the headlights. I've never seen anyone hit like McGregor, it looks like there's nothing on his shots but they are so precise and timed to perfection. His takedown defence is rock solid now. The Weidman KO was genuinely scary. Woodley vs Wonderboy was absolutely insane, particularly the fourth round. 

Only downer was the wrong call giving Woodley the split decision and them not having Conor's belt. Made them look a bit unprofessional. It sort of felt like UFC and McGregor moving into a new stratosphere and perhaps the old guard of Dana, Rogan, Buffer et al getting left behind.

It was Conor's responsibility to bring the belt apparently, not Dana's / UFC's!

• Paid Members

Such a brilliant event - Conor's PPVs always deliver top to bottom and this might have been the best yet. The only fight I wasn't feeling was Tate v Pennington.

Conor was on another level and Alvarez looked like a rabbit in the headlights. I've never seen anyone hit like McGregor, it looks like there's nothing on his shots but they are so precise and timed to perfection. His takedown defence is rock solid now. The Weidman KO was genuinely scary. Woodley vs Wonderboy was absolutely insane, particularly the fourth round.

Only downer was the wrong call giving Woodley the split decision and them not having Conor's belt. Made them look a bit unprofessional. It sort of felt like UFC and McGregor moving into a new stratosphere and perhaps the old guard of Dana, Rogan, Buffer et al getting left behind.

Yeah, but if you're in the production team then you spend fight week double checking shit like that. Surely!?

• Paid Members

Yeah, but if you're in the production team then you spend fight week double checking shit like that. Surely!?

Without question. During the event, the fighter's don't carry around their belts, and nor do they walk out with it. On top of that, you get a new belt with every defense. 

The UFC should have had that shit nailed down tight due to the potential moment in their history. They dropped the ball big time.

• Paid Members

Who was that guy they cut to after Conor won, standing next to Ellie Goulding, who was stoney faced and sulky? Is he a celebrity? It was hilarious watching him all sad that Conor proved to be as good as he always said he was. How you could watch that performance and be anything but joyous was beyond me. A seriously special moment.

The whole of Conor's run has felt similar to when Brock was on top, when even during it you realised what a special time it was, and the fear was that it would eventually come crashing down. The only difference is that this feels even more special, and Conor is ten times the fighter that Brock was, ten times as fun, much younger, and continues to get better. The idea that this could go on for years to come fills me with such happiness.

"I'd like to apologise...to absolute no-one!"

I can only imagine how many millions of dollars WWE are going to throw at him to get him to appear at Wrestlemania.

Great show, it has to be said. Lived up to the hype a lot more than these bigger shows often do.

McGregor's history making performance was just awesome. Don't particularly like the circus that surrounds the guy but when it comes to fight night, people keep doubting him and he keeps coming up with the goods.

There's plenty of big fights available to him at Lightweight so he might as well stay there for the time being unless they can organize an Aldo rematch. Khabib is the match everyone's talking about and he again showed in the prelims that he's an absolute beast, but he also showed that he can be vulnerable standing up so I don't think that's as foregone a conclusion as what some are saying.  

The rest of the card delivered too. Woodley/Wonderboy was awesome, such a close fight and Wonderboy surviving being knocked down twice and then getting out of that guillotine was just insane. Can't wait to see that again. I'm sure Jedrzejczyk/Kowalkiewicz will happen again as that was another strong fight despite the champion retaining.

Romero's knockout of Weidman was brutal too, looking forward to seeing him face Bisping but certainly not confident we'll still have a British champion at the end of it! Tate/Pennington was the least exciting fight of the night as it looked on paper but was still entertaining enough and while the Tate retirement was unexpected, she obviously didn't just wanna stick around if she wasn't gonna be at the top any more so that's fair enough. 

• Paid Members

There are guys in my office who, having heard that I bet against him, have argued I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm not a proper fan, like they are.

They're clearly right. You should watch more of this stuff, educate yourself a little.

And "thevestofdeanambrose" - brilliant.

• Paid Members

That was Odell Beckham Jr who is in the NFL I believe - EDIT in answer to Supremo

The weird thing with that is he posted an image backstage with him on instragram after the fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvfyQhgSRV/

I think perhaps initially he wasn't happy as he's apparently formed a friendship with Tyron Woodley, and it came not long after the altercation with Mcgregor and Woodley with Mcgregor labelling him a bitch over and over. 

However, it seems when he came face to face, he bottled it. 

• Paid Members

With hindsight you're probably right! Although im not sure how high up their list of priorities it would be considering everything going on. Did we ever find out where the other belt was? Just in Conor's dressing room I presume?

In Ireland because Mcgregor didn't bring it? The belt they brought out for him was borrowed from Woodley.

That was Odell Beckham Jr who is in the NFL I believe - EDIT in answer to Supremo

The weird thing with that is he posted an image backstage with him on instragram after the fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvfyQhgSRV/

I think perhaps initially he wasn't happy as he's apparently formed a friendship with Tyron Woodley, and it came not after the altercation with Mcgregor and Woodley with Mcgregor labelling him a bitch over and over. 

However, it seems when he came face to face, he bottled it.

In that photo he looks like a kid that was left unattended and decided to break into its parents' wardrobe to try on all their clothes at the same time.

• Paid Members

Lol at the thought that Beckham Jr bottled it.

Assuming you are laughing at the thought of a guy that size unlikely shitting themselves, you're taking it a bit too literal Keith.

The chance for some good PR came about, and he took it. He obviously doesn't like the guy yet decided the PR was worth it. Complete bottle job. 

He probably gets paid millions and NFL players only play 16 games a season, so why would he even want to fight anybody when he probably played yesterday or tonight

He probably feels weird because the two times I've looked at that picture I've been drawn to Conors fucking cock, he looks like he's packing down there.

Anyway besides Conors cock, he looked great still want him to go back down to 145, fight Aldo. Let Khabib fight Tony Ferguson and he can fight the winner, he should also slow down a bit, go down to two fights a year like Mayweather and guys like that and he can stay a draw for more years to come.

Archived