UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

During the Embbedded shows for the Manchester Bisping V Henderson show. There was a bit where Bisping rings Dana, and asks if he needs to bring the belt with him to Manchester. He was told not to bring his belt as they would have one for him. It seems that they just neglected to have two belts on hand for this unique occurrence.

They give you a new one after every title defense, so Jon Jones, GSP & Anderson Silva probably have loads, I don't know if Alvarez brought his own out with him but that's what they normally do. Conor should now have an Interim FW belt, a FW belt & a LW belt.

That's crazy. There's going to be a mountain of the things! You'd think they'd just have a belt for each champion that goes to the events.

Guess it's too much hassle to trust fighters to bring it with them to fights etc.

The cost in the grand scheme of things must be pretty low. Also quite nice as a thing to give the fighters. (Although, yeah, not so relevant for those with really long runs as champ).

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Conor vs Ferguson would be an absolute barnburner, but I'd take Ferguson to win that one every day of the week. He's basically a fitter, harder-hitting, slicker Nate Diaz with better footwork.

I'd also choose Khabib & RDA to beat Conor as well. Outside of those three though? Who knows? 

Exciting times ahead if the guy actually fights again any time soon.

I'm not as sold on Ferguson as others. I saw his fight with Vannata, and he had to survive some hairy moments in the opening round. In fact, he was all over the place at times. Now granted, I didn't see the RDA fight, which was probably his best performance, but I think there would be scope for McGregor to polish him off. The same applies for a potential match-up with RDA. One thing I was impressed with by McGregor on Saturday was his takedown defence. That could serve him well in the future. 

I agree about Khabib though. That would be a long night for McGregor. 

As Ebb said, that fight was a one-off really, plus Vannata was a weird, unorthodox guy. I doubt many fighters look good against him.

From what Conor's been saying he's not wanting the fight with Khabib;

"He's fought once in eight years," McGregor said. "He ain't fight too frequent for my liking. For me to commit to something like that, I need to see solid proof that people are gonna show up and he's a consistent pull-out merchant. He had a good performance tonight. Fair play to him.

"I need to see active. I need to see activity. I need to see consistency. I need to see me. If you want me to come and change your life, if you want me to come pick you, you better have some damn reasons for me to do that."

That's Conor-speak for not liking the idea of facing a guy who's all wrong for him style-wise. 

I can't say I blame him. There's losing to someone via submission after seeing the fight turn against you quickly, and being fucked up for 2 or 3 rounds and being completely dominated. That kind of performance doesn't make you look good no matter who you are.

Unless Conor caught him quickly, he'd get ragdolled and beaten up.

• Paid Members

I think Conor vs Ferguson would be an absolute barnburner, but I'd take Ferguson to win that one every day of the week. He's basically a fitter, harder-hitting, slicker Nate Diaz with better footwork.

I'd also choose Khabib & RDA to beat Conor as well. Outside of those three though? Who knows? 

Exciting times ahead if the guy actually fights again any time soon.

I'm not as sold on Ferguson as others. I saw his fight with Vannata, and he had to survive some hairy moments in the opening round. In fact, he was all over the place at times. Now granted, I didn't see the RDA fight, which was probably his best performance, but I think there would be scope for McGregor to polish him off. The same applies for a potential match-up with RDA. One thing I was impressed with by McGregor on Saturday was his takedown defence. That could serve him well in the future. 

I agree about Khabib though. That would be a long night for McGregor.

As Ebb said, that fight was a one-off really, plus Vannata was a weird, unorthodox guy. I doubt many fighters look good against him.

From what Conor's been saying he's not wanting the fight with Khabib;

"He's fought once in eight years," McGregor said. "He ain't fight too frequent for my liking. For me to commit to something like that, I need to see solid proof that people are gonna show up and he's a consistent pull-out merchant. He had a good performance tonight. Fair play to him.

"I need to see active. I need to see activity. I need to see consistency. I need to see me. If you want me to come and change your life, if you want me to come pick you, you better have some damn reasons for me to do that."

That's Conor-speak for not liking the idea of facing a guy who's all wrong for him style-wise. 

I can't say I blame him. There's losing to someone via submission after seeing the fight turn against you quickly, and being fucked up for 2 or 3 rounds and being completely dominated. That kind of performance doesn't make you look good no matter who you are.

Unless Conor caught him quickly, he'd get ragdolled and beaten up.

Conor could well catch him quickly, Johnson caught Kabib numerous times in the 1st minute of there fight. Saying that I would fancy Kabib to get him down and once there wouldnt fancy Mcgregors chances of surviving

It's smart that they'd want to avoid the fight, if there's several other oppurtunities available, why pick the hardest?

Technically, it shouldn't be him or Kavanagh who picks anything. The company should be booking title fights with the challengers who are more deserving. I've always said that as much as I get the whole business side of things, you really do have to protect the integrity of the title otherwise there's no point. Boxing has become a bit of a joke, with titles meaning fuck all. I hope MMA doesn't go down the same route.

If McGregor isn't interested in fighting the top challengers then he should relinquish both titles, be happy that his name is down in history as a two-weight champion and go about fighting those fights that draw him the most money.

• Paid Members

That's a little unfair to suggest McGregor will be the sort of fighter that would avoid challenger given who he has fought so far. Khabib really isn't any more deserving than Tony Ferguson right now so Conor decision will likely sway who the UFC chooses...then away from that the Diaz trilogy is seems a no-brainer.

That's a little unfair to suggest McGregor will be the sort of fighter that would avoid challenger given who he has fought so far. Khabib really isn't any more deserving than Tony Ferguson right now so Conor decision will likely sway who the UFC chooses...then away from that the Diaz trilogy is seems a no-brainer.

He's already made noises about Khabib not being worthy of a title shot, and his coach has said in the media that they want Diaz again. That suggests to me that he could very well be looking to avoid legitimate challengers.

He's also not defended a title that he won almost a year ago now. That's not really on, is it? We all gave him the benefit of the doubt a few months back, but the time has surely come where he either defends it or drops it?

• Paid Members

I actually agree he should probably look to drop the FW title. Either that or he needs to defend it immenintely. As for him Khabib , Ferguson is probably slightly more deserving anyway. Khabib will be the uglier off the 2 match ups for Conor mind.

What I'm expecting to see is Conor drop the FW title. Fight Diaz, then fight the winner of a Khabib vs Ferguson matchup.

David and Ebb - Fair points about Ferguson. I still have the RDA fight on my "must watch" list. I will get round to it eventually.

Even though it would be taking further liberties with the ranking system, I would be up McGregor vs Diaz 3. It has a great story to it, and it will almost certainly make for the best show. The actual fight won't be a dud either. They gel perfectly with one another. 

Dana said him and Ari are flying in to Russia next week, with the hopes of bringing a big show there.

I would assume it would be a Fight Pass/Fox type fight because of the time difference, so I would guess it would be Khabib Vs Ferguson headlining it and Conor can fight Aldo or Diaz in Brooklyn early next year, then have time to spend with his baby and if Khabib wins he won't be fighting during or around Ramadan anyway, so that leaves a potential big match for the end on 2017, no matter what happens.

• Paid Members

He's already made noises about Khabib not being worthy of a title shot, and his coach has said in the media that they want Diaz again. That suggests to me that he could very well be looking to avoid legitimate challengers.

He's also not defended a title that he won almost a year ago now. That's not really on, is it? We all gave him the benefit of the doubt a few months back, but the time has surely come where he either defends it or drops it?

He'll have to drop the 145lb gold eventually, i dont actually think he plans on defending it. He probably always had the idea of holding two belts at one time in mind, he made history, once the dust settles i think he'll vacate.

...and I wouldnt look to much into him saying he doesn't want to fight Khabib, that's just Conor stirring the pot, its no different to Michael Bisping claiming that he'd never fight Yoel Romero last week.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain Conor drops the 145 belt. Didn't Dana come out following 194 and say that Jon Kavanagh told him the weight cut was dangerous, or something along the likes of this? He's got the belt, he's beaten the best guys in that division with the exception of Edgar - there's nothing left for him in that division. 

The money fights for him lie in the 155 pound division, to be honest. He's already garnering interest in a fight with Khabib, he's exchanged verbal sparring with Cerrone, they could still always do the RDA fight if Dos Anjos can find his feet again, not to mention to Diaz trilogy, which would be the highest selling PPV of all time. 

I only see Conor fighting another 2/3 times before he decides he doesn't need to get punched in the head to make a living anymore. He's loaded, and his wage slip is only increasing with every fight. I'll say he defends the Lightweight belt against Ferguson/Khabib, if he loses, fucks off to Welterweight to challenge that champion, and then closes out his career with the Diaz trilogy.

• Paid Members

I think McGregor may just be trying to stir the pot with the comments about Khabib. He's the most likely fight to happen and it's time to drum up interest in it without actually committing to it just in case other opportunities present themselves.

I don't like the idea of Ferguson fighting Khabib unless McGregor is taking a break (Not that it wouldn't be a great fight to see, it's just time to protect them a bit as challengers). If McGregor fights between now and May, then pick one of them and then keep the other on the back burner for down the line.

Khabib is a nightmare for McGregor in grappling exchanges, against the cage and on the ground. But from looking at those performances at the weekend, it's every bit as likely McGregor smokes him before it even gets to those positions.

Archived