UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Wonderboy's leading the poll 28-13 over Woodley at the moment then. With the majority picking him to KO Woodley.

I hope you're all right but I'm not sure at all about that one. If Woodley's overconfident in his standup now and chooses to just try to trade strikes with Thompson then yeah, I can see it going badly wrong for him. But he's got that wrestling to fall back on and I'm yet to see where Thompson has really shown a strong wrestling defence. He's obviously got incredible movement and distance control so that helps his cause but he's never faced a wrestler like Woodley, has he?

And even the cardio thing, again I think that 'Woodley fades' thing is massively overblown. Joe Rogan's done a grand job embedding that into everyone's brain as a weakness of Woodley's but when you look back at his fights, there's not much evidence to really back it up. He's slowed down a bit in a couple of fights later on but not drastically or anything. Rogan makes it sound simple like if you get past round two Woodley turns into Scott Steiner in the Triple H match at Royal Rumble. It's a bit of a myth.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think there's a good chance Khabib is getting beat. I almost wish he had a higher ranked guy - I think he squeezes past Johnson.

That Khabib hype train is getting de-railed. You heard it here first. :p

Quick change of mind there Chunk.

Haha. It can be de-railed even if he wins. He should blow past Johnson with ease. If he squeezes past him and looks rusty, it'll take heat off his attempt for a title shot, no?

Ariel is such a pro in that interview. At times it's quite tense but he handles it with ease.

Can anyone else see them booking Diaz as the challenger should McGregor win and that way promoting the rubber match as a title fight?

I can see it happening, sadly, but it would be fucking ridiculous if they did. Diaz belongs nowhere near a title shot.

I think they'll want to wait to do the trilogy, Conor especially.

It's a fight I see Conor wanting toward the end of his career as his final whopper of a payday.

I can see Khabib being shocked, actually. Johnson looked fantastic against Poirer, and Khabib hasn't fought anyone of top ten caliber in well over two years. A hell of a lot can change in that time. Ask Renan Barao, or Anthony Pettis. I'm not saying that'll happen to Khabib, but I wouldn't be shocked if we see him lose. Good point as well in regards to a title shot, unless he flattens Johnson, which is completely against his style, I wouldn't begrudge Tony picking up the next title shot. Undefeated he might be, he's only beaten one guy within the current top 10, which took place more than 800 days ago or thereabouts. 

I can see Khabib being shocked, actually.

Even if Khabib wins (which I think he will), there's a good chance he'll get passed over for Tony Ferguson, and rightfully so in my opinion. Imagine a Ferguson vs McGregor fight? That would be all kinds of awesome.

• Paid Members

They absolutely should. Can you imagine the business if Conor returned from a layoff to fight for the belts he never lost? Nuclear.

If he is definitely taking a break then they should do this as you say. And it'll do crazy business. Like wise if he loses at the weekend, takes a break and they strip him of the 145lb belt due to inactivity, then a return fight for that belt down the line would be bigger than a straight up defence.

"I wonder how much a chair would have cost me?

When Dana was restraining Conor, I bet he was pissing himself on the inside thinking: "Thank fuck for this guy" If McGregor wins, and that's a big if, and takes a sabbatical, I think the UFC would strip him. If the UFC were clever, they would book his return against Nate. The third fight has money written all over it. On a personal note, I really want to see it again, just at 155lbs. The spectacle and build up would complete the package.

In an ideal world, I would like to see McGregor turn Ferguson's lights out. While that's unlikely to happen, I will say that Ferguson is not bullet-proof. I saw his fight Vannata, and he weathered some hairy moments in the first round. I haven't had a chance to see the full fight with RDA yet. 

Archived