UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah it really doesn't feel like it's only a week away, does it? I know they'll be pumping stuff out this week, well starting from tonight's show really, but it doesn't feel like this one's been hyped as heavily to me. I know there's probably some good stuff on YouTube if you go digging but it doesn't seem like there's quite that 'counting down the days' feeling to this one like there was for some of 2016's other big shows. UFC 196 and 202 in particular with the two McGregor vs Diaz fights, the anticipation for those was insane. Even 199 felt like it had more buzz.

I can't put my finger on why either. Maybe I'm alone on it, I've been a bit distracted lately so maybe my finger isn't really on the pulse of this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm buzzing for this show myself, but it doesn't feel like we're just a week out from such a massive show and probably the deepest card they've ever done.

Even looking at the BT listings for this week, there's not much content on for 205. Just the standard Countdown airing a couple of times in the week and a short preview on the night. For 196, 199, 200, 202, 203 and 204 the fight week coverage was almost non-stop with different little hype shows and preview stuff. Hopefully they'll at least whack the weigh ins on BT live like they did for a couple of McGregor's previous fights.

Are they complacently just expecting that the card's depth and McGregor's name means they don't need to go to town so much in promoting this one? Again, I know they'll be kicking things into a higher gear this week but you'd think with the extended gap we've had between shows over the last few weeks that that would've been the perfect time to be blasting us with 205 shit incessantly.

I'd love to have seen one of those Counterpunch things with McGregor and Alvarez. I think those two would've been a riot going back and forth on that.

• Paid Members

Since we don't live in the US its hard to tell Wand, but from what I've read there's billboards and ads everywhere over New York.

On top of that BT are definitely treating this one differently.

For the first time I can remember for a US ppv they are doing some live build up from studios in the UK the night of the event.

Jim..have faith. Everyone I've read is counting out Mcgregor but the guy is best when people doubt him. I believe we will see something special from him here.

Jim..have faith. Everyone I've read is counting out Mcgregor but the guy is best when people doubt him. I believe we will see something special from him here.

Hope so.

I always get this feeling before McGregor's fights. I think it's because I don't want the ride to be over. I'm certainly more confident in McGregor's chances against Alvarez than I was against RDA. As some were saying in the other thread, it really looked like RDA was going to be a P4P kingpin before Alvarez overturned his applecart. 

You are right. McGregor seems to win when his peers and critics are betting against him. His last fight was a reflection of that. The bookies tend to be a bit kinder to him. 

• Paid Members

I'm certainly more confident in McGregor's chances against Alvarez than I was against RDA.

Definitely agree with that. In that way I think the way it's worked out has ended up being slightly better for McGregor in that I think his chances of becoming a two division champ are better now than if he'd fought RDA in March as planned.

I think Alvarez poses some of the same problems RDA would've for McGregor, but I think Alvarez is more likely to be dragged into a brawl and more susceptible to getting tagged than RDA. I know that sounds wrong when we just saw Alvarez put RDA away in a round but styles really do make fights and I think Alvarez is a more doable task for McGregor than Dos Anjos was.

Still a tough one though. Alvarez has the kind of toughness, resilience, stamina, relentlessness and solid wrestling that means he's always going to be a challenge for McGregor. McGregor's best chance is if Alvarez comes mostly to strike and even then Alvarez is still dangerous. It's such a great fight.

The promoting the event, I would assume will be hurt early this week with the US election and fall out.

They ran some countdown type show on Fox on Sunday, I would assume with the Cubs doing insane ratings the largest in 25 years for Baseball and the World Series, that has easily been the biggest sports story in the US this past few weeks and the UFC didn't want lost in the shuffle.

Aye, that makes sense.

It usually only takes one press conference or interview to get people buzzing for McGregor's fights anyway. The hype for the 2nd Diaz fight was spearheaded by waterbottlegate. The first fight by that unplanned press conference. Plus, it's UFC in New York.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I remember being underwhelmed by the build up to Mcgregor/Diaz 2 until that chaos of the press conference. 

However, at least for me, there's no need to hype anything for this one. The card is the greatest in history, and we are nearly there with every fight in tact. Fuck jinx's, we should be ok now despite the fact anything could happen in these 5 days.

Furthermore it's Mcgregor going for history and on top of that, I'm a bag of nerves for any fight involving Mcgregor.

• Paid Members

I just can't believe we are seeing this card in one event...fucking hell. I know initially when UFC 200 was announced the card was great, for me it was only great in terms of name value. The fights weren't that great on paper though. This time, it's an amazing mix of megastars and fantastic fights. 

PPV MAIN CARD
Eddie Alvarez vs Conor McGregor - Lightweight Title
Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson - Welterweight Title
Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz - Strawweight Title
Chris Weidman vs Yoel Romero 
Donald Cerrone vs Kelvin Gastelum 
Miesha Tate vs Raquel Pennington

Frankie Edgar vs Jeremy Stephens 
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Michael Johnson 
Rashad Evans vs Tim Kennedy 
Tim Boetsch vs Rafael Natal

Jim Miller vs Thiago Alves 
Lyman Good vs Belal Muhammad
Liz Carmouche vs Katlyn Chookagian

My normal setting the alarm for the last 2/3 fights won't be doable this time. It's going to be a long night!

Archived