UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thanks for the insight on the wrestling stuff. Interesting.

I've actually read that stuff about Mcgregor taking a break at a few different places. All of them not very credible, which is why I didn't bother to post it. I guess it comes as a result of the comment Dana made just after the fight with Alvarez was announced (that I now can't find anywhere ...).

• Paid Members

Dana (quite unprofessionally) telling the press that Conor is going to make a personal announcement after 205 reminds me of the supposed personal issue that GSP had, which played a part in his retirement.

Did we ever find out what the personal issue was with GSP? I remember a lot of rumors involved him getting someone pregnant. I even remember reading that he wanted the woman in question to get an abortion, such is the rumor mill.

Thing is, if you actually look at McGregor's fight record since he joined the UFC just over three years ago he'll have fought ten times after the Alvarez fight. Throw in the media that he's been doing since the Brandao fight onwards for the most part and you can understand why he needs a break. 

I don't see why he can't beat Alvarez, relinquish the 145lbs belt and then sit out for nine months to a year before defending the lightweight title in maybe September or October of 2017.

• Paid Members

If he beats Alvarez and becomes a 2 weight champ, there really isn't much left for him anymore. He always stated that his intention was to get in, and get out quick, with a shit ton of money in tow. In his early interviews i remember him talking about fighters taking too much punishment resulting in ill health later in life and saying that he refuses to go down that road.

I think after that only 3 fights will interest him, GSP and Nate and Nick Diaz. 

• Paid Members

If he beats Alvarez and becomes a 2 weight champ, there really isn't much left for him anymore. He always stated that his intention was to get in, and get out quick, with a shit ton of money in tow. In his early interviews i remember him talking about fighters taking too much punishment resulting in ill health later in life and saying that he refuses to go down that road.

Surely he'd want to defend 1 of the belts at least once?

• Paid Members

Surely he'd want to defend 1 of the belts at least once?

It depends on the opponent really. Whilst I would say from a legacy perspective you're possibly right, the fact he would be the first ever 2 weight (at the same time) champ would probably be enough for him. He would always have that tag he could use for the rest of his life.

On top of that, he's only getting wrecked by Khabib really who would be his next opponent if he beats Alvarez. I just can't see anyone the division beating Khabib. 

• Paid Members

On top of that, he's only getting wrecked by Khabib really who would be his next opponent if he beats Alvarez. I just can't see anyone the division beating Khabib.

I'm not on-board the Khabib hype train as much as everyone else. His RDA win was 2 years ago and he's done nothing since. I'm not saying he isn't a contender, I just don't sign up to this idea that he's a killer that destroys everyone else in the division.

Thing is, if you actually look at McGregor's fight record since he joined the UFC just over three years ago he'll have fought ten times after the Alvarez fight. Throw in the media that he's been doing since the Brandao fight onwards for the most part and you can understand why he needs a break. 

I don't see why he can't beat Alvarez, relinquish the 145lbs belt and then sit out for nine months to a year before defending the lightweight title in maybe September or October of 2017.

It's a fair point. He also had pretty serious knee surgery and rehab in that time too.

• Paid Members

I'm not on-board the Khabib hype train as much as everyone else. His RDA win was 2 years ago and he's done nothing since. I'm not saying he isn't a contender, I just don't sign up to this idea that he's a killer that destroys everyone else in the division.

The man wrestled bears growing up Chunk...FUCKING BEARS.

• Paid Members

The man wrestled bears growing up Chunk...FUCKING BEARS.

Haha. Well yeah, there is that ...

I genuinely don't think Conor will be interested in fighting Nate ever again and I seem to be the only one with that opinion.

• Paid Members

You maybe right, but the fact Mcgregor said in his post fight interview and conference after the 2nd there would be a trilogy fight at 155llbs suggests to me he's at least interested.

That said he certainly doesn't need it.

I genuinely don't think Conor will be interested in fighting Nate ever again and I seem to be the only one with that opinion.

I agree with you. I think he managed to go in and get the win the way he did, and that he won't be looking to repeat it. He's never going to knock Diaz out, or submit him.

Basically, lightning isn't going to strike twice in the same place.

Archived