Wrestlers who you thought were someone else

The King of Old School

Bare with me for a min on this one..

Just been watching the " Tuesday in Texas" PPV when the Warlord shows up, and it got me thinking and chuckling for a while about my mate who was totally convinced around 20 years ago When Stone Cold showed up in the WWF that he was the Warlord under a different name, and to quote " off the gas" now because the WWF were cracking down on all that sort of thing. I think we were well into the Austin era before he admitted defeat on that one.

Has anyone else ever had any thoughts like this where they were totally convinced that a wrestler was someone else from a past era?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Back in the days before internet, I remember looking in a WWF magazine in 1995 and I was quite pleased with myself for realising that Kama used to be Papa Shango. I went all Columbo and compared pictures of them next to each other. The tattoos sealed it.

My brother swore blind that when Ed Leslie showed up in WCW as The Disciple in 1997 or whenever it was, that it was The Ultimate Warrior with a beard. He was adamant it was the Warrior. Right up until the actual Warrior showed up in 98 and him and Beardy Beefcake were on camera together.

• Paid Members

I missed a year or so of wrestling the mid 2000s. I thought JBL was a completely new guy. Took me a good couple of months before I realised he was Bradshaw from the APA.

I always forget that there was about a year of APA Bradshaw where he had the head of JBL.

Remember APA Bradshaw with the blonde highlights and gleaming white teeth? What an odd look.

I think when Adam Rose debuted, Braun Strowman was a Rosebud and Eugene was working backstage at NXT.  I'm sure I remember people online saying it was Eugene, with at least the fact that Eugene would have been there meaning it could have been him, even though it obviously wasn't.

Strange one, they don't look similar.

Archived