Agatha Christie's Paige discussion.

IANdrewDiceClay

Should traffic wardens be armed?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Or Kane from Spain? I wonder if they'd ever have him as Spanish if they ever did a WWE World Cup type thing. Have they ever referenced it on telly? I know they used to love mentioning it on the website and magazines.

I noticed it the new SmackDown Live graphics they listed his home (Knoxville, TN) as opposed to pretending he hails from Parts Unknown.

It's mental that they ever billed him as from parts unknown. His entire reason for existing is that he's Undertaker's little brother so surely he should have always been billed from Death Valley -- or Houston, on the days that Undertaker's from there.

Taking Paige as an example, those who went to shows that featured Brittani Knight and saw her early steps can feel some connection to her later success. It's still a bit stupid but it's as understandable as supporting your local football team or your national team in a World Cup. It's also a two-sided coin, in that someone like Finn Balor, who very much started on the UK & Ireland indies, had to put 2 years in at the performance centre before he was deemed ready for the WWE main roster. Is he still a UK & Ireland success story? It blurs at that point.

Soooo.....Paige spent 2 years in FCW / NXT but is a British success story because she wrestled in Britain first, but Finn Balor wrestled in Britain first, and then spent 2 years in NXT and the point blurs for him...?

• Paid Members

See I couldn't really give a fuck about being British, it's just by luck and chance I'm here.

The only real way I consider myself British is simply down to Geography. Yes it's an 'artificial construct' a label or whatever you want to call it, but it makes filling forms in a hell of a lot easier.

I consider that anyone born on this Island, a tiny bit of another Island and all the Isles associated with mainland UK to be British. I think it's somewhat narrow-minded to consider Brits who have been a success abroad and learnt their craft abroad not a British success story because they didn't work in front of 57 people in Lower Gornal, Dudley whilst the fishman sold crabsticks and cockles and 10 people sat there mildly amused waiting for Rob Hunter to get battered by Super Dragon hoping and praying there's no pointless fucking rumble on this show.

It's odd that the thoughts I have on this get me branded Jingoistic and Patriotic, because nothing could be further from the truth. I once got called a racist because someone posted a pic of me on their myspace sitting in front of a Union Flag. There I was a young man, grade 1 all over in front of the Union Flag, must be a Jingoistic, Xenophobic 'Paki Basher' right? Nope, just a young man with a love of design that had heard of De Stijl before the White Stripes released their album, would have loved to have worked for Bauhaus and considered that flag a resounding bit of awesome design so it adorned my room next to a massive fabric print of the album artwork to 'Unknown Pleasures' that my ex made down in the basement of Aston Uni.

It's like the music industry and your one of those horrble NME readers post Britpop boom Linus. Well like Layla, Spacehog are a fucking great band, Resident Alien is a brilliant album and In The Meantime is an epic song, great success in America, but seeing as they are from Leeds they are a British success story.

Was Layla even billed as being British? I didn't even know she was from here until well into her WWE run.

Yes, for a while she was called Layla London when she managed Regal

Regardless of where she learned her trade Layla is a British Wrestler because she is British, end of in my book.

In terms of the most successful British Wrestler any answer you give is going to split opinion. imo I would say it's Davey Boy because everybody knows who he is, on top of that he won every belt in WWE except the Worl. Even if wrestling is 'fixed' that is still quite the accomplishment

My 2 cents on Paige is she looked impressive in NXT at first because the others in her NXT were not up to her standard but eventually not only did they catch up they over took her. I'm not knocking her it's just my honest opinion. Any future spot in the company will be putting over others, she will basically end up as the new Natalya, which depending on who you ask is either good or bad.

on top of that he won every belt in WWE except the Worl. Even if wrestling is 'fixed' that is still quite the accomplishment

So did Regal to be fair, as well as winning King of the Ring. Well, except the US title I guess (could have been a good US champ too). Not that I disagree that Bulldog's bigger, just saying it's not the best measure.

Edited by Sphinx

Davey was one of the big factors over here in the big WWF boom of the early 90s. It got massive when he came back with the dreads and began to die off when he got fired. Not saying it was all him, but he was a big reason. Regal, as much as I love the fella, hasn't really done anything other than being a part of the show. Nothing would be different if he was or wasn't there. With Davey, there's a chance the WWF wouldnt have exploded over here as big as it did.

• Paid Members

Time period though, Davey was shite in the late 90s and had what, roughly 10-12 years in the big leagues?

William is still a house hold name, different position obviously, but in terms of success and accomplishments, he must be top of the list?

He's on TV weekly, 18 years or so since his WWE run started, granted with absence in between. But yeah, my dad wouldn't know who he is because I haven't asked for a pencil case with his face on it.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

William is still a house hold name

Is he really? Was he ever? If you took a survey of folk in this country, how many people would actually know who he was? I think more people today would still recognise Davey Boy over Regal.

Edited by PunkStep