UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This whole discussion hinges around Ian's assertion that it is 'arguable' he wouldn't pass the WWE's medicals, let alone the UFC's.

I was just providing examples that suggest it's not outrageous to suggest that that's the case.

He definitely got back doored by the Ohio commission, so it's not too far a suggestion to think he got helped across the medical finishing line. They just finished up allowing Brock to subvert Usada, to be fair.

But yeah, as we're discussing something being arguable, I'm pretty happy to be assuming. In the exact same way you're assuming.

It's how discussions work when you're not in the loop. The internet thrives on such discussions. If it didn't, I'd only be allowed to discuss my wife's tits, what I do for a living and how many shits I take a day. That'd be rubbish.

Also, don't be so patronising you tit.

Yeah my bad. That tone wasn't necessary I admit. 

Although I'm surprised their hasn't been a 'how many shits' I take thread on here at some point.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone ready for Paydays and Ian's mental breakdown?

The UFC paid CM Punk $500,000 for fighting Mickey Gall at Saturday’s UFC 203 event in which he lost by first round submission

Courtesy of MMAFighting.com, here are the UFC 203 salaries:

Main Card

Stipe Miocic ($600,000) def. Alistair Overeem ($800,000)

Fabricio Werdum ($375,000) def. Travis Browne ($120,000)

Mickey Gall ($30,000) def. CM Punk ($500,000)

Jimmie Rivera ($48,000) def. Urijah Faber ($160,000)

Jessica Andrade ($46,000) def. Joanne Calderwood ($25,000)

Preliminary Card

Bethe Correia ($50,000) def. Jessica Eye ($25,000)

Brad Tavares ($56,000) def. Caio Magalhaes ($20,000)

Nik Lentz ($76,000) def. Michael McBride ($12,000)

Yancy Medeiros ($48,000) def. Sean Spencer ($17,000)

Drew Dober ($38,000) def. Jason Gonzales ($10,000)

Gall has utilised his spot well, although I feel Super Sage will comfortably beat him.

You mean the guy who tapped to a head and arm choke that your average white belt would have survived? Gall will choke the life out of Northcutt.

The outcome of Punk/Gall wasn't suprising. Gall's grappling is good, held his own against Gordon Ryan and that's not an easy task.

If you measure it in terms of how many buys they likely generated for the show by being on it, Punk's pay seems fine to me. Maybe even a little on the low side.

Amusingly though he seemed to have a real issue with it when these names generating buys got paid more than he did for facing him at WrestleManias past.

Gall has utilised his spot well, although I feel Super Sage will comfortably beat him.

You mean the guy who tapped to a head and arm choke that your average white belt would have survived? Gall will choke the life out of Northcutt.

The outcome of Punk/Gall wasn't suprising. Gall's grappling is good, held his own against Gordon Ryan and that's not an easy task.

In all fairness it's been widely noted that during that fight Northcutt had a staph infection, his throat was fucked completely as was the rest of his body from the side effects of that and realistically shouldn't have fought.

If you measure it in terms of how many buys they likely generated for the show by being on it, Punk's pay seems fine to me. Maybe even a little on the low side.

Amusingly though he seemed to have a real issue with it when these names generating buys got paid more than he did for facing him at WrestleManias past.

It's not really the same though, is it.

If Punk had just main evented UFC 200 with a title shot and been paid more than his opponent, then you might have a point.

He didn't just walk into one of the single best pay days of the year and take someone's place, he created a big payday just by being on the card himself and gave young Mickey Gall the chance to make himself a star.

In all fairness it's been widely noted that during that fight Northcutt had a staph infection, his throat was fucked completely as was the rest of his body from the side effects of that and realistically shouldn't have fought.

Still, when respected coaches such as Mike Brown are telling all & sundry that you're "no ordinary" 2-0 guy you know you have something going for you, especially seeing as he's not even an ATT guy.

And as Ghost says, Gall put in a respectable showing against Gordon Ryan at 2015's NAGA World Championships;

For those who don't know, Gordon Ryan is the latest superstar to hit the BJJ scene. 

He's Garry Tonon's 1st ever black belt, and was promoted to black belt at the age of 20 when he'd been a brown belt for only six months.

In recent times he's subbed Keenan Cornelius, won the EBI Absolutes as a late replacement and won the EBI middleweight title on Sunday night.

Gall isn't as high level as that on the ground (yet), but he's no slouch, that's for sure. The more you hear about the guy the more laughable it was that the UFC would even consider putting him in there with Punk. In fact, if Punk even knew half of what that kid was capable of he was probably bricking it before the fight.

• Paid Members

Punk was stitched up!

Confused at the amount of hate coming out about Punk's fight purse. Surely everyone was aware that he was getting a fair whack before the fight had even happened. Unfair maybe, but expected.

Stitched up is maybe going a bit far, but considering most people assumed he'd be given a somewhat easy ride by the company he was actually given the exact opposite and handed a fight with a prospect who is considered one of the best around.

There are a few longtime UFC veterans that I could see Gall blasting through if I'm honest.

Archived