UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Rogan's just doing his macho caveman routine because he knows that Punk would most likely make for a far better and more polished sidekick to Goldberg than he has of late.

I can see Punk moving into the commentating/media side of things eventually. He's not a great fighter, but he's knowledgable, knows his stuff as far as BJJ goes, and is terrific in front of the camera.

Get Joe to fuck basically, with his big HGH heid and sweat-stained black shirt.

Yeah, would actually love to see Punk in that sort of role. He's obviously a great talker.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The reaction to Punk has been fairly brutal. I said prior to the show that i'd avoid stuff because i knew it was coming but i can't help but get caught up in it. The thing that annoys me the most is the 'i told you so...' crowd, like they are some kind of fighting nostradamus, and the outrage at the money Punk made. I don't think anyone who watched Saturday night was surprised, it played out really as it should have. There seems to be two distinct camps, the one that says Punk had a go and it took balls to do so, then the other who just think the whole thing was a joke...the joke camp are now countering the 'Punk was brave' camp by saying that anyone would have taken the fight for the money Punk made. What a crazy situation.

As for the actual fight, i think Punk it's gonna haunt Punk forever that he charged across the cage and straight at Gall. It appears he followed the gameplan and they probably thought they may catch Gall by surprise but Punk literally gave the takedown to Gall and it was all defensive from there.

The actual show was weird as fuck, every now and then the UFC has shows where everything seems to go wrong, this was one.

I can't really get my head around Alistair Overeem's performance. He's been known to run in the past but i can't recall seeing a heavyweight of such pedigree fight with such terror, the guy was bricking it, he seems to have lost all faith in his abilities yet still carries that massive power that he can pull out of the bag from time to time, Overeem also clearly knows the game is up for him as far as being hit is concerned, he's now been KO'd 13 times between MMA/Kickboxing, bad knockouts too.

Then there was Travis Browne. What the fuck happened to him? The finger injury was horrible and clearly hindered his performance but he's not what he once was. I used to have a pop at Browne for being a heavyweight that tried to fight like Dominic Cruz, yet it seems that he's lost all the athletisicm that brought him to tha dance. I don't know if it's the change in camps? the USADA thing? Ronda? but he is half the fighter he used to be.

• Paid Members

That's him, yeah. He talked about being offered the WWE writers position and I was genuinely fascinated to hear more about that. But Rogan got all uncomfortable and had to go into mid life crisis Neanderthal mode and shout him down. I reckon he'd have had a very different, less piss takey tone about it if it was Josh Barnett sitting opposite him rather than an 8 stone soaking wet camp comedian.

Yeh i remember that. Like with a lot of subjects though Rogan appears to have changed his tone tone on pro wrestling. During the Jeremy Stephens podcast the subject came up and Rogan almost defended it (Stephens himself is/was a fan). Rogan changes his opinion like the weather, Hinchcliffe must have just caught him on a bad day.

Wasn't Rogan just messing about with his pal, who also happens to be a vicious roast writer? Comedians are forever goofing on each other. He clearly decided to tone it all down after he got a silly amount of abuse from wrestling fans that take it all a bit too seriously.

He's a comedian talking to another comedian. I wouldn't take it at all seriously.

• Paid Members

Then there was Travis Browne. What the fuck happened to him? The finger injury was horrible and clearly hindered his performance but he's not what he once was. I used to have a pop at Browne for being a heavyweight that tried to fight like Dominic Cruz, yet it seems that he's lost all the athletisicm that brought him to tha dance. I don't know if it's the change in camps? the USADA thing? Ronda? but he is half the fighter he used to be.

The corner work from Edmond Tarverdyan during that fight was some of the worst I've ever seen. Did anyone spot that? Basically his approach was to scream and swear a lot.

• Paid Members

The corner work from Edmond Tarverdyan during that fight was some of the worst I've ever seen. Did anyone spot that? Basically his approach was to scream and swear a lot.

Yeah, he's a useless cunt. "He's got nothing on you - he's afraid of you - fuck him up".... after Travis got completely outclassed.

Kinda like when the Wolfslair guys were cornering Rampage. "Fackin ave him Rampy! Deck the cunt!"

To be fair his voice was completely shot. The guy couldn't speak.

Did anyone else find it ever so slightly ironic that in the build up show Travis Browne says he showed up for his first day of training with Edmond Tarverdyan only to be told that he "didn't know how to throw a simple jab", only to go on a 2-3 run under the Glendale team and lose two of his three defeats via KO? 

UFC record under Greg "can't teach a jab" Jackson? 6-2, with 4 wins by kO/TKO.

He went on two 3 fight win streaks whilst at Jacksons, and I personally think he looks like shit since his move.

• Paid Members

It has to be one of the best examples of a top fighter going backwards after a camp move. He may corrected Travis' technique in certain areas but he's completely stripped him of everything that made him successful.

• Paid Members

Browne looked utterly embarrassed post fight when Edmund was having a go at Werdum.

I'm not a hateful guy, but Id love to see Travis and Ronda leave him in the dirt. He'd be absolutely fuck all without them and would likely fade into obscurity.

• Paid Members

It's a strange team, does Edmund train other UFC fighters at the moment?

The post-fight thing was ridiculous. Browne for a second looked like he was gonna get involved, then stood there and though 'fuck this'. Werdum/Browne II is gonna go down as one of the strangest fights in modern day UFC, it was just weird.

I wanted to start hating on Werdum who looked under-prepared to me, but he got me back onside with his post-fight press conference, very hard to dislike that guy.

• Paid Members

To be fair his voice was completely shot. The guy couldn't speak.

Probably because he'd spent the whole day shouting bollocks at Travis Browne!

Archived