UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It does surprise me a little bit about the shocked reactions with regard to how Punk got absolutely dominated and looked shit in there. I'm not saying he wasn't comprehensively beaten but from some of the reactions you'd think that sort of thing never happened in MMA. Someone scoring a quick take down and then a submission is hardly that rare.

I almost feel we didn't get a chance to see how bad (or good?!) Punk is because the fight was over so quickly. Questions about his stand up and cardio for example were basically completely unanswered.

Edit: And I thought Rogan's commentary was laughable. I'm normally more tolerant than most when it comes to Rogan but the one-sidedness of his commentary was bordering on embarrassing. Ok Joe, we get it, you don't think amateurs with an 0-0 record should be on a UFC PPV and BJJ is better than anything else. Now get on with your job!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The balling up and using his feet on the cage was a massive red flag, to be fair. And, the weird rocking motion he used on his advance, which made the takedown easier.

I wanted Punk to win, but it's simply not the case that he didn't look fucking terrible. That wasn't a pro's performance.

He was still making the same mistakes he'd have been making in his first few weeks training. I think the two people who made the most sense around this fight were Mickey Gall and our very own David. David said that it was being over egged how comfortable he'd be in front of the audience and that a real fight is different and Mickey said that, basically, the minute he got in the cage and realised that, bad habits would start to leak through.

I think that's exactly what happened.

Yeah Rogan came across like a right bitter cunt IMO. He seemed to kinda try and even out what he was saying at the end of the broadcast when him and Goldie where covering the night's events, but he just seemed perplexed by the idea/situation and instead of understanding it just shat all over it.

• Paid Members

Joe seems to really dislike pro-wrestling and he's a "mans man" so I imagine it really got to him that a guy like Punk came in just like that at that level.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd take a 2-3 minute battering from Mickey Gall for 500 grand, no worries.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I haven't been keen on Rogan for a while. 

He's become overexposed in recent years. When someone as animated as him is on your screen at least once a month for over a decade, they are going to get tiresome. I'd like it if Brian Stann replaced him at some point. 

• Paid Members

I think the two people who made the most sense around this fight were Mickey Gall and our very own David. David said that it was being over egged how comfortable he'd be in front of the audience and that a real fight is different

Oi! I said that a bunch of times in this here very thread.

Then again I also said Punk winning wouldn't be as big an upset as Bisping vs Rockhold. Knowing a bit more about Gall's credentials now, I wholeheartedly take that back. Punk never had a chance, did he?

Joe seems to really dislike pro-wrestling

Yeah, who was that comedian/friend of Rogan's who Rogan ripped into for ages on his podcast because the guy was a huge wrestling fan? Really camp fella, can't remember his name. Fuck me Rogan was a bit of a twat on that. I mean, like or dislike what you want but Rogan went on for ages and seemed to be protesting way too much to not be deep in the closet of pro wrestling fandom.

I think the two people who made the most sense around this fight were Mickey Gall and our very own David. David said that it was being over egged how comfortable he'd be in front of the audience and that a real fight is different

Oi! I said that a bunch of times in this here very thread.

Then again I also said Punk winning wouldn't be as big an upset as Bisping vs Rockhold. Knowing a bit more about Gall's credentials now, I wholeheartedly take that back. Punk never had a chance, did he?

Joe seems to really dislike pro-wrestling

Yeah, who was that comedian/friend of Rogan's who Rogan ripped into for ages on his podcast because the guy was a huge wrestling fan? Really camp fella, can't remember his name. Fuck me Rogan was a bit of a twat on that. I mean, like or dislike what you want but Rogan went on for ages and seemed to be protesting way too much to not be deep in the closet of pro wrestling fandom.

Tony Hinchcliff. Super talented bloke, got offered a WWE writers job, also writes for ton's of big shows, heavily involved in the most recent Comedy Central roast. Your right, Rogan came across stupid during that interview.

• Paid Members

That's him, yeah. He talked about being offered the WWE writers position and I was genuinely fascinated to hear more about that. But Rogan got all uncomfortable and had to go into mid life crisis Neanderthal mode and shout him down. I reckon he'd have had a very different, less piss takey tone about it if it was Josh Barnett sitting opposite him rather than an 8 stone soaking wet camp comedian.

• Paid Members

I hope Punk got a percentage on the PPV. Nice big addition to his "fuck you" money.

Dana has said Punk is probably done, but I wonder if he'll change his mind quick fast if it does something silly? No idea how a second fight with Punk does, considering the battering he got.

I like the idea of having a TUF show based around Punk. Take 8 complete novices, and have them fight for the right to face Punk. They could have a series of guest coaches, similar to the format they used on TUF 4. Punk's fight wouldn't even have to take place on a UFC card. The final episode could be shot live, and feature Punk taking on the winner. 

Dana is in a position now. If Punk wants to continue and he let's him go Punk can walk straight into Bellator fresh off of HUGE UFC promotion (and time, effort and money), earn a mint, likely get matched with a no hoper and do BIG ppv numbers for them.

Punk really is win/win here. Another UFC payday, Bellator for big money or off to Japan for limited dates on BIG money.

Fair play to him. How many sub 200lb indie guys who aren't Mexican and named Mysterio have been WWE champion and made big money like he has from 2 genres and has the options he has. Say what you what but Brooks is a smart man.

I think Dana is done with Punk. He likes the guy but he realises just having him in the UFC makes the UFC look daft. Dana hates anything that makes the UFC look bad.

What to do with Punk though is interesting if he wants to keep fighting. I've seen on twitter suggestions to send him to Pancrase or somewhere else shown on Fight Pass. Punk will want his money in his contract though, so the UFC is then paying $500'000 to him, to fight on a small card they make no money from. They are then hoping he makes it back by people signing up for Fight Pass for that one show I guess.

They could let him go but then he turns up in Bellator the next week . Or Rizin. CM Punk vs Sakuraba anyone, Rizin would love that.

They could sit on his contract and set up no fights for him. Punk is the kind of guy who would kick up a massive fuss in the media and send his lawyers in if you tried that though.

I've seen send him to TUF. Surely he could just say fuck that, its not in my contract. You agreed to pay me this amount for so many fights. Not to go on a reality show and fight a bunch of amateur fights you won't pay me for.

Maybe they stick him on a Fox Show draw a rating and have someone else fuck him up and make a name for themselves.

Dana won't do a bum of the month tour for Punk. They brought in a guy 1-0, gave him a gimme to set up the Punk fight and he then destroyed Punk. They bring in someone 0-0, 0-2 or 1-4 or something everyone will take the piss.

Archived