UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always really disliked Werdum but he guaranteed my support in the fight with his crazy flying kick, well that and I dislike Browne more. Trying to front kick Edmund just put the icing on the cake for me, he has a new fan.

Edit- Doesn't Edmund train most of the Armenians that have passed through UFC like Manny Gamburyan?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ever since Ronda's own Mum came out and said Edmond is an awful coach, she's only been vindicated. From the way he handled Rousey during her Holm fight to now Browne turning into a nothing, he's clearly one of the lesser coaches in MMA. Be interesting to see how things go for him when Rousey packs it in.

• Paid Members

Edit- Doesn't Edmund train most of the Armenians that have passed through UFC like Manny Gamburyan?

I think they were all associated at one point. All the Armenian MMA fighters seem like volatile characters though, im sure there was some big divide at some point.

Meltzer was saying this on early indications has done well over 300,000 buys. There was a report flying round about it doing nearly 700 but big Dave shot that down as being highly unlikely. So if we hazard a guess that it sits around 400/500 thousand, it's a cleae indication there was a fuck load of interest in Punk, people weren't buying this card for the other fights by and large and it was mentioned in twitter a fair bit in the days leading up from numerous sites that if this does above 300,000 then it'll have been a huge success.

Out on a limb here, if Punk truly wants to the UFC will have him fight at least once more if not twice IMO. Have him co-headline a huge Fox show against some bum and have a decent scrap hopefully win, then you might be able to spin the idea of Punk on PPV being worthy again. Nobody's buying another punk fight after he barely landed a punch in the last one right?

This is never going to happen of course, but I would love for two ex-wrestlers to go the same route as Punk and then get matched against each other on PPV, only to then take the absolute piss in a worked fight with Irish whips, spinning headscissor takedowns, the lot, hamming it up like HBK against Hogan. I'd be able to watch the crowd's reaction again and again till the day I die.

This is never going to happen of course, but I would love for two ex-wrestlers to go the same route as Punk and then get matched against each other on PPV, only to then take the absolute piss in a worked fight with Irish whips, spinning headscissor takedowns, the lot, hamming it up like HBK against Hogan. I'd be able to watch the crowd's reaction again and again till the day I die.

Even for the fun of it, it wouldn't be worth the fine they'd get from USADA I'd imagine for a staged contest.

• Paid Members

It's the most bizarre situation, because Punk probably shouldn't be fighting in UFC now we know for sure he's not up to it, as Dana sort of said after the fight, but if Punk did great business then it's probably worth the time giving him one more go. One thing Punk has done brilliantly is position himself as an incredible underdog. Particularly with his sizeable fan base.

Bellator and Scott Coker for sure are phoning him up and offering him a reality show, film deals and everything else they failed to deliver for Rampage.

Anyone remember the chat of a prospective Batista vs Lashley match up years back?

Anyone remember the chat of a prospective Batista vs Lashley match up years back?

Yeah, it died down quickly after Dave's abysmal debut. I think Lashley would have mauled him though.

• Paid Members

There seems to be two distinct camps, the one that says Punk had a go and it took balls to do so, then the other who just think the whole thing was a joke.

To be fair, both of those things are true. It did take vast balls to do what Punk did and the whole thing was a joke. That's not to say I disagree with the UFC doing it. The proof is in the pudding. The show seems to have been a success and that's mostly on account of Punk's involvement and the curiosity factor he brought with him. And although it didn't work out how Punk would've liked, from the UFC's POV they've pulled in more buys for 203 than they would've without Punk involved. And they've now got a shiny young talented and marketable prospect in Mickey Gall who got the rub and exposure you rarely get and he's hit the ground running.

But the whole thing was a mad joke really. It's undeniable.

I can't really get my head around Alistair Overeem's performance. He's been known to run in the past

Yeah, there were definite shades of Overeem's second fight with Sergei Kharitonov in K-1 HEROS about this one. It was a strange fight all round, wasn't it. It was basically Overeem running...Overeem drops Miocic...Overeem guillotines Miocic...Miocic definitely DOESN'T tap...Miocic up...Overeem running...Overeem running...Overeem sleeping...Miocic shouting "OH" over and over again.

I was cringing during the post-fight stuff with Overeem claiming Stipe tapped. Rogan might've had a point that Overeem having been knocked out cold could've distorted Reem's memory on that though. Probably was just a case of sour grapes and am attempt to save face but I'll roll with Rogan's excuse. Reem might well have still been scrambled. Rogan's been saying he thinks he shouldn't really be interviewing fighters right after they've come around from a KO and when you actually think about it, it's madness that they do that anyway.

Then there was Travis Browne. What the fuck happened to him?

Like others have said, Edmond Tarverdyan. Edmond Tarverdyan is what happened to Travis Browne. You're right. I don't think Browne was ever quite going to get to champion level in the UFC but he seemed like he had legit potential to be a perennial title challenger at least. A heavyweight Urijah Faber, if you weeeel (RIP Dusty). His KO wins over Overeem, Barnett and Gonzaga show that when Travis Browne was on he was a risk to a lot of guys.

Browne leaving Jackson for Tarverdyan is the MMA coach equivalent of turning down Paige VanZant for Susan Boyle.

Wasn't Rogan just messing about with his pal, who also happens to be a vicious roast writer? Comedians are forever goofing on each other. He clearly decided to tone it all down after he got a silly amount of abuse from wrestling fans that take it all a bit too seriously.

He's a comedian talking to another comedian. I wouldn't take it at all seriously.

Oh yeah, there definitely was a bit of that and a bit of a mate needling a mate thing. And Hinchcliff seemed to take it in good spirits. But it went on and on to the point I just thought Rogan was being a bit of a helmet about it. It didn't bother me or anything but I just thought he came off as somewhat of a twat.

It's the most bizarre situation, because Punk probably shouldn't be fighting in UFC now we know for sure he's not up to it, as Dana sort of said after the fight, but if Punk did great business then it's probably worth the time giving him one more go. One thing Punk has done brilliantly is position himself as an incredible underdog. Particularly with his sizeable fan base.

Bellator and Scott Coker for sure are phoning him up and offering him a reality show, film deals and everything else they failed to deliver for Rampage.

They own and make money on Fight Pass, they have admitted Fedor did big numbers on there and he's probably negotiating with the UFC (and others) so they didn't need to say that, Cyborg in Invicta as well, the UFC was paying her purse, no reason they couldn't do the same for CM Punk in one of the lower level US promotions they own, he probably adds a few subscribers, if advertised right. Ari Emanuel would probably get Punk a part in a movie/video game easier than Viacom but I don't think Punk even wants to act, who knows though.

I agree with Wand & Rogan, they should probably leave knocked out fighters alone, unless it's a Ken Shamrock type I was fine thing, like in the second Tito fight.

Archived