UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to be fair, he left WWE bitching about part timers taking the top spots, and then he spends 2 years getting paid to train and then got a spot on a card where it was obvious by his skill level shouldnt have been anywhere near. He got paid a lot of money for that beating. He isnt a charity case.

Part timers in wrestling is entirely different to coming into MMA like he did. Wrestling only has so many big pay day slots, where as in UFC one was created for him. He hasn't taken away that spot from anyone else, in fact it only gave a big earner to Gall who otherwise would have probably had to wait a long time to get that kind of money

• Paid Members

Judging by his skill level, I'd say there's a million people who could have taken his spot. Wasnt like it was a hugely profitable experiment either, to be honest. He's been getting paid for 2 years. It took a while to get to this PPV. For me, Bellator was the gig he should have went for. I suppose you cant turn down UFC, but I reckon Bellator's mix of obvious bullshittery and real fighter would have protected him a lot more.

Funnily enough, Punk's UFC stint reminds me a lot of the Miz when he entered WWE. He had a name from another TV show and they paid him to train and he worked incredibly hard and eventually got on the roster. Its quite sad you never hear anyone praise the Miz for his hardwork and dedication.

Well to be fair, he left WWE bitching about part timers taking the top spots, and then he spends 2 years getting paid to train and then got a spot on a card where it was obvious by his skill level shouldnt have been anywhere near. He got paid a lot of money for that beating. He isnt a charity case.

Part timers in wrestling is entirely different to coming into MMA like he did. Wrestling only has so many big pay day slots, where as in UFC one was created for him. He hasn't taken away that spot from anyone else, in fact it only gave a big earner to Gall who otherwise would have probably had to wait a long time to get that kind of money

Unless I'm mistaken, the same logic could be applied to part timers in wrestling. Kevin Nash made the point years ago that if The Rock is on the Wrestlemania card, the underneath talent will get a better payday. 

Punk's fight received more promotion than 95% of other UFC fights. Not that I'm complaining, as it warranted the attention. The fight generated more interest than most marquee UFC fights. 

There probably was a million people who could have taken Punks spot but who wants to watch Mickey Gall Vs. Some random on PPV? Let's not forget if CM Punk didn't sign with the UFC Mickey Gall wouldn't have either.

Punk was brought in to sell tickets/PPVs and just overall get people talking really. It's something he wanted to do and he got his chance to do it, good on him

• Paid Members

Judging by his skill level, I'd say there's a million people who could have taken his spot. Wasnt like it was a hugely profitable experiment either, to be honest. He's been getting paid for 2 years. It took a while to get to this PPV. For me, Bellator was the gig he should have went for. I suppose you cant turn down UFC, but I reckon Bellator's mix of obvious bullshittery and real fighter would have protected him a lot more.

Funnily enough, Punk's UFC stint reminds me a lot of the Miz when he entered WWE. He had a name from another TV show and they paid him to train and he worked incredibly hard and eventually got on the roster. Its quite sad you never hear anyone praise the Miz for his hardwork and dedication.

Yeah. I was thinking that today. After his interview and all the talk of positivity, wasn't he the biggest moaning, negative pain in the arse during his stint on top. 

Unless I'm mistaken, the same logic could be applied to part timers in wrestling. Kevin Nash made the point years ago that if The Rock is on the Wrestlemania card, the underneath talent will get a better payday.

Punk's fight received more promotion than 95% of other UFC fights. Not that I'm complaining, as it warranted the attention. The fight generated more interest than most marquee UFC fights.

Your logic only works because you highlighted half my point. Punk didn't take a big money match from anyone, he only boosted the buy rate for everyone. In wrestling a part timer will boost the show for everyone, but take a big money spot from a regular. In UFC, Punk is the big money spot. Nobody has missed out so Punk could have his spot

• Paid Members

One thing that's been lost in the Punk discussion which kind of struck me when watching the show, was how relaxed and composed Mickey Gall looked walking out to the cage. The one doubt I had about Gall going into this fight was if he'd be swallowed by the moment and the pressure. Yeah he'd fought in the UFC once before but that was nothing like this. Fighting Mike Jackson on the Fight Pass prelims doesn't measure up to being CM Punk's UFC debut opponent on PPV. And watching his entrance, he didn't really look like a 2 fight rookie.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with Gall now. Him bagging the Punk fight could wind up being both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because he's got great exposure from this, got in the UFC sooner than he probably otherwise would've and no doubt made better money than he would've fighting another faceless nobody on the prelims. All good. But in the end he's still a rookie. The curse could be that with this new exposure, he'll get rushed along quicker than he's ready for. This win was great for him but he beat a 37 year old 0-0 bloke whose body is probably being held together by hopes and dreams after years as a wrestler. Gall has undeniable potential but if they try to have him run before he can walk then he might come unstuck. I do like the Northcutt fight idea, though.

• Paid Members

Your logic only works because you highlighted half my point. Punk didn't take a big money match from anyone, he only boosted the buy rate for everyone. In wrestling a part timer will boost the show for everyone, but take a big money spot from a regular. In UFC, Punk is the big money spot. Nobody has missed out so Punk could have his spot

But you're working on the assumption that everyone on a UFC card, like a WWE show, gets paid a percentage of the gate/PPV buys, which (unless you're one of the few that has PPV points in their contract) they don't.

What having Punk on a UFC card does theoretically do, however, is put more eyes on those elsewhere on the show - potentially making them bigger stars going forward.

I thought the Sage Northcutt call out was a brilliant move by Gall. When he was saying "theres someone I want to fight...". I was thinking oh no he is going to say Conor or GSP or something stupid and look like an idiot.

Northcutt though would be a great fight to make. Sage as the cookie cutter nice guy, Micky as the trash talker giving him grief. One known for his striking, the other for subs. Would make a great main card fight on a big Fox show. They are both so young a loss would hurt neither that much.

Dana said post show that Northcutts camp has already been in touch and want the fight. Dana seemed down with the idea as well.

Archived