Brands that you can't help but love

Briefcase

• Paid Members

Ocean Pacific.

It started out as my preferred sponsor on California Games, back when I didn't even know if they were a real brand or not, just because the name sounded cool.

As it turned out, the majority of their designs are right up my street so I've amassed various shirts and T-shirts from them and I'll always check them out each year.

Fat Willy's Surf Shack.

As a pre-teen, there was a time when any clothing with fluorescent colours on was considered cool. Add in the surfer vibe and the hilarity of being able to say "Willy" without your parents telling you to act your age, and Fat Willy's was king. I pick something up from their shop whenever I'm in Newquay and there's been a sticker in the back window of every car I've ever owned.

Zoom.

Back when I started playing guitar Boss were the king of effects. Digitech were a challenger for the title, but I liked Zoom because while the sound quality wasn't quite up to the standard of the others, they excelled at having more extreme effects and higher levels of whacky noises. I started out with a 2020 model, upgraded to a 4040 and then to an 8080 Super Player. Unfortunately, the subsequent ranges have been shit in comparison, so I've gone down the Boss and Digitech road, but I'll always have a soft spot for Zoom.

Earlier this year I actually bought a new Zoom multi effects that - on paper - sounded fantastic. In reality it was horrifically un-user friendly and the sound quality was worse than my 15 year old 8080. There were some good ideas in the design, but overall it was pap.

Minolta.

Minolta made bloody good cameras and lenses. Then they got caught up a big lawsuit, put their development of digital cameras on hold, and the market just erupted without them. Still bloody good cameras though and I always keep an eye out for lenses that aren't priced stupidly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GAF...Gaffer...Boss, did you get to Penneys?

Not yet sport. It's going to be a weekend job, me crowdsurfing through the baying mobs to get to the Kevin & Perry uniform I so desperately deserve.

• Paid Members

Levi Roots' Reggae Reggae for me.

Stick that on anything and I'll eat it. I even bought a second bag of Reggae Reggae Caribbean Mix, despite not liking it at all. Banana chips with Reggae Reggae seasoning on just didn't work. But I had to give it a second try.

I'm loyal to quite a lot of food brands but can't think of which ones right now.

Andrex - I'm fussy about toilet paper, needs to be good quality.

Always - only sanitary protection I will buy.

Adidas - beats Nike for me.

Samsung - I own so much Samsung electronics and they are always my go to for some reason

• Paid Members

I pretty much buy my wardrobe on Surfdome, Monkee. As you said, they’re the sturdiest, best quality gear out there.

I buy a lot from Surfdome too. Last thing was some Adidas summer shoes that were on sale for £20.

I used to love X-Large Clothing (Beastie Boys) as well. They had some great T-shirts and I went through a phase of buying up as many as I could. Haven't heard of them for a while now though.

Also, talking of supermarkets - Tesco. I think it's familiarity but I'd always choose to shop at Tesco over any other store. I don't like Asda or Morrisons, don't mind Sainsbury's but Tesco is always my first choice.

• Paid Members

Supermarkets are an interesting one, aren't they? (a-ha!).

I think Tesco is a load of old shit nowadays, but we shopped there when I was a yuuf. Consequently, if I was stood next to all of the traditional big 4 (ASDA, Sainsbury's, Morrison's/Safeway and Tesco) I would still choose Tesco out of habit.

I'm all about Lidl and Aldi now though since they Leicester'd it and broke up the big 4 monopoly. My Mum is even worse, she treats Lidl with the same religious fervour as a recently converted Jehova's Witness. It's mental the way she'll attempt to talk about how great they are in any given conversation. If you hear a knock on the door this evening, it's probably my Ma spreading the good word of whole legs of Serrano Ham for £29.99.

I'm the opposite Monkee, I'm a Tesco hater and will always pick anywhere but Tesco! Though that has changed recently as I've moved to West Brom and the only supermarket near me is a massive Tesco, I have to make an effort to go elsewhere - which I do some weeks but it takes a lot of effort

• Moderators

My Father in law is like that for Aldi. Always preaching the word of our German supermarket saviours.

My town is basically built around the most enormous Tesco I've ever seen, so that's my default. But I'd always just go to the biggest big supermarket near where I live, I have no real brand loyalty. As long as it's not fucking Asda. I'd travel further to avoid Asda.

I've re-fell in love with Dr Martens, actually off to buy a pair of Cherry Red 1460's tomorrow. I don't really have any other clothing brands these days, most of my clothes are from charity shop's and bands.

I drink waaay too much Pepsi Max Cherry and i adore the cider company Dunkertons.

When it comes to video games i'm more inlove with individuals than whole companies, Hideo Kojima being the main guy.

Completely immortal to any brand bar maybe wwe these days I guess.

Closest I come is my local tailor which is a famous one on the backpacker street in Saigon. I could get better fabric elsewhere and cheaper but they speak great English and at 15 quid a shirt 20 quid trousers or 50 quid a suit exact for my body shape and funky slightly 70s shirt patterns I keep going back.

I've got a couple.

Tennent's Lager - popped out for a couple of beers and catch up with some mates in a pub that has about 200 pumps all serving this IPA or that craft beer. My two mates worked their way through a few of them but I had one Guinness then stuck to my old faithful T from then on.

Duffs - doesn't matter what style they make the comfiest shoes bar none.

Archived