Brands that you can't help but love

Briefcase

I got a pair of Vans for my 12th Birthday, I'm 25 now and I've had a pair in rotation pretty much the whole time. It's now got to the point where I am rebuying the black 'old skool' pair when they ware out.

As a kid getting in to skating and punk music I thought the Vans stores were pretty special and even now with a big cardboard cut out of Black Flag era Henry Rollins in the window and (some) of my favourite music playing on the speakers...I'm just a sucker for it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cadburys for chocolate. Still the best, although I'll occasionally flirt with Terrys or M&Ms, I'll always crawl back to Dairy Milk.

Nike. When I was a kid growing up, my family weren't well off enough for me to have a pair (Hi-Tecs is what I got lumbered with, if you're asking, which you probably weren't). As soon as I was working and could afford a pair, I bought some, loved them, and have bought them ever since.

Sony - at one stage or other, I've owned PS1, 2, 3 and 4, and a PSP. My TV is Sony, as is other stuff around the house.

WWE - I've tried watching WCW, TNA and other stuff over the years, but always end up back with Vince. Even when WCW was great in the mid-to-late 90s, I resolutely stuck to King Mabel, Man Mountain Rock and Duke Droese.

Yeah I guess you could count WWE, given that if I had to pick between the worst year of Raw or the best year of Nitro for a desert island, I'd pick the worst year of Raw. It's definately 'my' wrestling. I've had fun catching out on all the WCW whackiness that I missed but I basically only grew up with one game in town, and it's the game I come back to usually after being only able to watch a few nights of any other promotion or indie at a time.

• Paid Members

I'm a sucker for Under Armour. On weekends and days off, I can often be found dressed head to toe in their stuff.  Takes me back to my American Football days - it was really starting to emerge over here around 2008 and our American guys off the base would turn up wearing it.  Love the logo, the fabrics, the cross over stuff they do with the military, Marvel etc.  Before it was readily available here in the UK, I was on holiday in Florida and stumbled across a sports outlet store, bought everything they had in black and royal blue (my club colours), so much so I also had to purchase a holdall, which had to be checked in as additional baggage on the flight home.

In fact, as I type this I'm wearing one of those very tops..

meua_zpsaimcoolx.jpg

I've got a massive soft spot/hard on for Entertainment Film Distributors same goes for ORION, . Whenever I walk past a charity shop or through a car boot, if I clock these logos, you can be sure i'll stop to have a look...

hqdefault.jpg Orion_Pictures_logo.png

Teen Wolf, Kickboxer, Best of the Best, Dark Angel, Men at Work, Kuffs, First Blood, The Woman in Red, Terminator, Remo Unarmed and Dangerous, Robocop, Throw Momma from the Train, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to name just a few of the VHS on my shelves under these two labels.  That's one hell of a body of work.

• Paid Members

Mambo, Billabong and Adidas (Coz Korn) clothes wise.
I also love Cream. As in the Club brand. My record bag and slip mats have been adorned with that logo since back in the day.
Penneys/Primark are selling Cream vests now. Nearly shite myself so I bought 6 of the cunts. All medium so they’re wellied on!

• Paid Members

Apple. Love their kit and tune in for the annual WWDC keynote (this year’s was on Monday just gone). I don't think they're infallible, mind.

Wrestling-related: NXT. Their brand and presentation is pretty much exactly what I wanted New Era Wrestling to be all those years ago. The colour scheme and branding, use of top independent talent, proper building of matches and rivalries. It's as though Triple H reached into my brain and took the blueprints. Except he had the budget and knowledge to execute it, where as I had neither.

• Paid Members

Mambo, Billabong and Adidas (Coz Korn) clothes wise.

I'd totally forgotten about the Korn-Adidas thing until I saw them at Download last week. Didn't they get sponsored by Adidas at some point?

I'm very attached to Converse. I've had at least one pair on the go over the last 10 years or so. I'm partial to some Adidas too. I hate Apple on the whole but have an iPhone and would never get an Android.

I love surf/skate labels too and try to go for them first if I'm looking to buy something, e.g. Volcom, DC, Etnies, Roxy, etc. I just associate those labels with quality products that are well made and long lasting.

Never really thought about it before, but there's several brands I seem to have remained loyal to.

LG - Majority of the TVs I've owned have been made by them, and never had a single problem. Usually solid bits of kit which have really good features for their price range.

Pepsi - I'll make a point of asking for a Pepsi in a pub if I know they serve it instead of Coke. And I ask it with pride damnit.

Adidas - if I'm looking for new trainers then they're the first brand I check out. Not even too sure why, I think the simple black with white stripes design appeals to me as it isn't too flashy or obvious.

FAB Press - the best damn cinema books in the business.

Arrow/88 Films/Eureka/Criterion/Third Window - Always keep an eye on their announcements and upcoming Blu-rays. 88 have been dodgy at times, but for the most part everything those companies release has been fantastic.

• Paid Members

If I go through a car-boot sale and I see any ex-rental VHS videos from CBS Fox or Medusa Home Video, I'm having them.

Arrow and 88 Films is a good shout in modern times too. Arrow especially. Very impressed with what they've done with the few Walerian Borowczyk films they've released over here.

• Paid Members

I pretty much buy my wardrobe on Surfdome, Monkee. As you said, they’re the sturdiest, best quality gear out there.

Me 15th birthday – in and around that – in 1994, I saw Korn on Headbangers Ball and they mentioned Mr.Bungle in the interview which piqued my interest as I was/am obsessed with Bungle. Went and bought their album on the back of that out of me birthday money, got heavily into Korn and walked around decked out in Adidas tracksuits and runners for a good while.

I actually can’t look at or hear the word Adidas without thinking of Korn.

Got a lovely fitting – probably one of the best fitting tees I ever bought – Oakley tee from Surfdome two months ago. Wore it to Underworld a few weeks back, top came off, tucked it into my combats, lost it. Fuckin devastated...really am. And I went to order it again and it’s sold out. Ebay’d, Googled it...niente. I’m just going to wear Cedarwood State tops to gigs in future.

GAF...Gaffer...Boss, did you get to Penneys?

Archived