You've just bought TNA, what do you do?

Undefeated Steak

I'd sign Rock, Undertaker and Vince McMahon in my first month. It's no more absurd than every other cunt in the thread killing the existing TV deal, which is the company's only real source of revenue.

I'm certain at this stage TNA's only real revenue comes from people stupid enough to invest in them and Dixie remortgaging any property she owns. Which is what a lot of companies rely on, just not for 15 years like TNA have done. I fail to see how Pop or whatever channel they're on now can throw any real amount of money at them. What return are they getting? They're not even getting 300,000 viewers and nobody wants to advertise on wrestling shows at the best of times. Unless we're missing something, it's probably all just a big circle jerk for companies to piss money away instead of paying it to the IRS. I'd love to know how much TNA get from their TV deal but I don't imagine it's much. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got an already operational company (despite all the changes that would need to implemented). You've got a TV deal which is more than most companies have - regardless of how little money it brings in, it's a step further than starting from scratch. You've still got a few names on board. A library of old footage. I'm clutching at straws here.

I get your point, and in the real world you'd probably be better off starting from scratch than trying to turn TNA around. It was just a throwaway idea for a scenario I was thinking about and wondered how people would approach it rather than saying 'you've got a million quid to start a wrestling company, what do you do?'.

• Paid Members

The first thing I'd do it get an subscription on demand channel set up and get some money coming in from the back catalogue. There's bound to be die-hands who will part with their cash to watch TNA from yesteryear, and also those who want to watch the likes of Sting, AJ, Joe, etc.

It's been said, but I'd also drop 'TNA' completely from the company branding, and fully re-brand as 'Impact Wrestling'. None of this "is it TNA or Impact? If it's Impact, why are there TNA champions?" confusion. Drop to three titles: Impact title, tag titles, and women's title. Drop that secondary "Legends" title or whatever it's called this month. Also drop Xplosion. No idea what that show is. Impact Wrestling every week, core four PPVs (Bound For Glory etc) with those One Night Only events filling the gaps of the other months. Kinda like pre-recorded In Your Houses.

Also, said before but change focus as WWE has PG audience so no point trying to target them, go for the teen/adult market.

Set up on demand

Take 2 hours of tv down to 90 mins amd a 30 mins Saturday morning highlights show. No ppvs, just build tv

Strip it down to just world title, keep focus on title & gives it more prestige.

Tapings in places that can be filled and look full. Icws use of nightclubs would suit tna's crowd sizes for most shows.

Get some veteran to be a jack Tunney style in and away again authority figure.

Check drew Galloway for piles

• Paid Members

Set up on demand

Take 2 hours of tv down to 90 mins amd a 30 mins Saturday morning highlights show. No ppvs, just build tv

Strip it down to just world title, keep focus on title & gives it more prestige.

Tapings in places that can be filled and look full. Icws use of nightclubs would suit tna's crowd sizes for most shows.

Get some veteran to be a jack Tunney style in and away again authority figure.

Check drew Galloway for piles

Zeb Coulter is now free. 

• Paid Members

My first change would be to establish a style to the show, so it becomes its own thing and gets recognised as an alternative to WWE, not a knock-off WWE.

Straight away would be an investment in production. Cameras, lighting, editing. Completely ignoring my first sentence, I'd look into using equipment that would give a similar look to how WWE and WCW did at the peak of their war. This works as both a nostalgia kick, but I also feel that the current hi-key/hi-def look is too clean. Sports events like wrestling and boxing used to have a more focussed, spotlight kind of look to it, and that's what I'd look to going back to. It gives harsher shadows, keeps light of anything that isn't in the ring and can be a distraction, and just grits it up a bit.

I'd make it about wrestling events, not a soap where there's some wrestling. Rather than skits and scripted scenes, all the backstage stuff that drives angles would be put across in interviews, talking head segments, press conferences, etc.. Basically situation where the wrestlers would be talking about the things they're talking about, and there would be a camera crew recording it.

A "blood only on special occasions" policy. I want almost an assumption that there's a no blood policy, so that when there is, it's more surprising and there's uncertainty whether it's deliberate or not.

No fucking music preceding an "unexpected" run in. Anything that that is "unplanned" shouldn't be telegraphed with cued up music. Surprise entrants to a tournament? They can have music because the company would know that they're in the tournament. It's the audience that it's a surprise for.

A security team for when there is interference in a match, backstage brawls, etc.. Why would a company allow that stuff to happen? Sounds namby pamby, but the company needs established order for anyone to rebel against it.

The six sided ring will stay.

A points/ranking system. It can be complete bollocks, but advancing up the ranks in a logical order means there's reasons for wrestlers facing each other than don't involve raging hatred for each other that will disappear 6 months later when they get teamed up.

• Paid Members

TNA should have embraced their southern roots way more than they did. Tennessee is a pretty hip place these days. Not just that, I think I heard that Tennessee is still the place for physical media. These people dont download shit. There are country artists nobody will ever fucking hear of that sell loads of albums. You could have built around someone like James Storm with his hat and thick accent as the star brawler babyface of the promotion. As Surf said, a alternative promotion needs a style. TNA never has had one. Maybe in 2005/06, they were known for what NXT is known for now, but other than that its always been the place WWF people go when they arent wanted. Whatever the style is, you need to be different from what everyone else is doing. There's no reason why TNA shouldnt be running house shows drawing 2000 people. But sadly they dont. Because its been completely burnt to the ground.

Ideally I would shut up shop fire everyone and start reading online and DVD contentent. Best ofs, tell all's and maybe complete seasons. Then I'd make some money hopefully. If I can promote it right ID make it valuable and sell it on.

If I had to run i would keep impact but only with pay per appearance contracts. Keep an eye on the budget and run simple bare bones TV. Use a place with built in production like a modern theatre or cheap studio. From there I can run a show with a few basic storylines from bulk tapings. Maybe a few dirt cheap ippv shows with bigger longer matches. Then if things take off great if not with the budget being watched just tick over and make a little money.

• Paid Members
All PPVs filmed in the UK.

Of course. I mean, why wouldn't they be? The industry leader's clearly missed a trick not doing that once for 24 years.

Batista, Goldberg, Ryback, Barrett, Kurt Angle, Lashley, Tarver, Okada, Cody Hall, Go Shiozaki,

Say what???

All PPVs filmed in the UK.

Of course. I mean, why wouldn't they be? The industry leader's clearly missed a trick not doing that once for 24 years.

Batista, Goldberg, Ryback, Barrett, Kurt Angle, Lashley, Tarver, Okada, Cody Hall, Go Shiozaki,

Say what???

Micheal Tarver is a beast and Black and you need more of a mix of cultures if you want to be taken seriously. Cody Hall I admit I have never seen but you build the guy up, has name value.

I really don't see any room for TNA anymore in any capacity. You can say make the product different from WWE, but NXT and Lucha Underground already both spit roast that market. You've got a sesnsible promotion mixing veterans with youngsters, featuring mostly squash matches building to big shows. You also have batshit crazy over the top stories with crazy stunts and high flying matches. How would TNA compete with either of those, let alone WWE

Archived