McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Weird press conference. Both were late and when it got underway the sound/mics were off so Dana and Nate could barely hear any questions. When any of them started talking there was minor feedback and echo. In between the amateur production, McGregor seemed to spend the time throwing a shit eating grin at Dana, who looked as miserable as expected given the last few hours.

The stare down was alright.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Conor dialled the trash talk way, way back as well. I think he will be more lively and try to wind up Nate more when it gets closer to fight time but he was rather subdued here.

Helwani getting a big cheer when he asked his questions made me laugh. Doubt Dana enjoyed that much.

Weird press conference. Both were late and when it got underway the sound/mics were off so Dana and Nate could barely hear any questions. When any of them started talking there was minor feedback and echo. In between the amateur production, McGregor seemed to spend the time throwing a shit eating grin at Dana, who looked as miserable as expected given the last few hours.

The stare down was alright.

Does that really make sense though? As things stood at the time, even without Cormier vs Jones, UFC 200 has Brock Lesnar, whilst 202 has Conor McGregor. Two huge events, two huge stars, two huge PPV buy rates, two huge bundles of money for the UFC, right?

I don't think that having McGregor on the 200 card would necessarily mean that the buys that 202 will get in total would be added to the buys that 200 get?

Or am I missing something?

• Paid Members

It makes complete sense to me personally. White and the company put faith in a man who has let down people again and again over a fighter who steps up time and time again to save events.

Irrespective of the money being made, I don't think White wanted to be running around like a headless chicken panicing about his headline fight 2 days before it was supposed to be taking place during the biggest mma event of all time.

This is why Mcgregor is probably smiling, he knows the events of the past few days wouldn't have happened if he was in the main event.

• Paid Members

I have no idea why he was doing it. Maybe White gave him a bollocking for showing up late, so McGregor was having none of it? Who's to know. It was telling when Helwani got a big cheer and McGregor again turned to White and laughed, which White no sold again. Clearly still tension between the pair of them.

It makes complete sense to me personally. White and the company put faith in a man who has let down people again and again over a fighter who steps up time and time again to save events.

Irrespective of the money being made, I don't think White wanted to be running around like a headless chicken panicing about his headline fight 2 days before it was supposed to be taking place during the biggest mma event of all time.

This is why Mcgregor is probably smiling, he knows the events of the past few days wouldn't have happened if he was in the main event.

If we're all honest the headline fight is Lesnar, not Cormier and Jones. What do you think would have hurt the buyrate more? Losing Jones or losing Lesnar to injury?

McGregor needs to smarten up. After he loses a few fights (and he will, every does eventually) he'll not want to sitting with a cunt like Dana as an enemy when it comes time to negotiate his contract or next pay.

He should take a leaf out of Lesnar's book. The guy does what he's contractually obligated to do, and collects his pay. Plus, he wears clothes that actually fit.

• Paid Members

Doesn't really make a difference who the real headliner is or was, even though White looking miserable would suggest he did care at the time.

All that's irrelevant David to be honest. The fact is Mcgregor saw in his own words people in the back all over the place like going around headless chickens trying to clean up the mess and he knew that if it was him still fighting that chaos wouldn't be taking place.

You asked why the smile and that's most likely it.

In regards to having Dana against him when it comes to contract negotiations after a few losses, I don't think Mcgregor cares one bit. If he does go through a bunch of losses then he probably will retire anyway.

• Paid Members

Conor's coach, John Kavanagh, has a book out. It covers John's career, but will of course chart Conor's rise as well. I've just ordered it. John always seems like one of the smarter, more interesting guys in the sport.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Win-or-Learn-John-Kavanagh/9781844883813?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base1&utm_source=UK&utm_content=Win-or-Learn&selectCurrency=GBP&w=AFC7AU9631FL8ZA8Z3V9&pdg=kwd-73702222419:cmp-177155787:adg-15139031667:crv-44091921627:pid-9781844883813&gclid=CMSfhs-w580CFRITGwodx1IHuQ

Doesn't really make a difference who the real headliner is or was, even though White looking miserable would suggest he did care at the time.

All that's irrelevant David to be honest. The fact is Mcgregor saw in his own words people in the back all over the place like going around headless chickens trying to clean up the mess and he knew that if it was him still fighting that chaos wouldn't be taking place.

You asked why the smile and that's most likely it.

In regards to having Dana against him when it comes to contract negotiations after a few losses, I don't think Mcgregor cares one bit. If he does go through a bunch of losses then he probably will retire anyway.

Still doesn't make any sense to me. The UFC makes him a shitload of money, and that includes Dana and the Fertitta's. Why he'd be laughing at their misfortune like some 12 year old is confusing.

Still, whatever floats his boat I guess.

It goes both ways though. Conor went above and beyond for the UFC, did more promotional work and brought in more business than any UFC fighter outside of Brock and maybe GSP. He jumped up two weight classes on 8 days notice to save a main event. He asked for one concession and was promptly taken off the biggest show and payday of his life, with some mud thrown on his name a bit by the boss.

I don't know if I'd have the balls to smirk and make cheeky comments to my boss, but if I was in that position, after all that, I'd probably feel like taking a dig too.