Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fun show. They ended up closing and curtaining off the whole top tear. We got some pretty sweet upgrades to the first tier about 20 rows back. The O2 managed the whole upgrade process (once there) really well. Even with the top shut off, I'd say the venue was still only at best about two thirds full.

They messed about with the order of the card for some reason, so I'm not sure what made it onto TV. The delays between fights were silly at times too. Sometimes 20 minutes with nothing else going on in the arena to keep you entertained. MVP was the most over fighter by far, that knock out sounded brutal even from where we were. Oli Thompson took some huge shots before finally getting stopped. After MVPs finish, a huge delay before the main event and then it being 3 rounds instead of 5, the Semtex fight felt a bit flat to me.

All in all a fun card and a good night. We all called it the moment the tickets when on sale but the venue and the pricing was just clearly wrong for Bellator. A real shame to see the place so empty, even if it did make for a sweet upgrade, shorter queues at the bar and an easier journey back home. Hopefully it doesn't put them off running London again. A 5-7k capacity venue, an event not near a UFC event and tickets 20% cheaper and they could pull a good crowd.

• Paid Members

Fun show. They ended up closing and curtaining off the whole top tear. We got some pretty sweet upgrades to the first tier about 20 rows back. The O2 managed the whole upgrade process (once there) really well. Even with the top shut off, I'd say the venue was still only at best about two thirds full.

They messed about with the order of the card for some reason, so I'm not sure what made it onto TV. The delays between fights were silly at times too. Sometimes 20 minutes with nothing else going on in the arena to keep you entertained. MVP was the most over fighter by far, that knock out sounded brutal even from where we were. Oli Thompson took some huge shots before finally getting stopped. After MVPs finish, a huge delay before the main event and then it being 3 rounds instead of 5, the Semtex fight felt a bit flat to me.

All in all a fun card and a good night. We all called it the moment the tickets when on sale but the venue and the pricing was just clearly wrong for Bellator. A real shame to see the place so empty, even if it did make for a sweet upgrade, shorter queues at the bar and an easier journey back home. Hopefully it doesn't put them off running London again. A 5-7k capacity venue, an event not near a UFC event and tickets 20% cheaper and they could pull a good crowd.

To be fair, that's pretty standard in my experience of UFC events. Fuck all happens apart from a shit load of awful adverts for future events. I'm not really sure what entertainment you expect between fights to be honest? They expect people to go to the bar for drinks etc.

In relation to the pricing, I think it was too high to begin with, but losing Kimbo and the co-main with Koscheck hurt the event badly too. 

It was actually the first time I've watched an entire Bellator main card in it's entirety and really enjoyed it. MVP is just so good and as you mentioned, Thompson has got some chin on him. 

Edited by lambyUK

We got in the venue around 6.30ish,couldnt believe how empty it was. When we got in at that time id say it was barely 1/3 full with the whole top section curtained off.

Enjoyed the show though and would go to bellator again,i just wouldnt get the tickets when they go on sale.

The place was probaly 2/3rds full by the time the main card started.Main card was really enjoyable. That knee was nasty.

One thing i was really disappointed with was no mention of Kimbo Slice. I thought they would have done some type of tribute for him. But nothing. I havent watched it on tv yet was anything mentioned on tv?

• Paid Members

yeh there were some real fast finishes too, that'll lead to some lengthy gaps between fights.

MVP though. If there was any doubting his star power, there can't be now. Crowd were loving it and the finish couldn't have been any sweeter. The finish/celebration/injury went viral too, it was all over facebook yesterday, everyone in work was talking MVP. Bellator have struck gold with that guy.

There's a great post-fight scrum with him where he talks his intentions and goals in the sport, the guy gets it. Sites the WWE as a huge influence.

• Paid Members

Yeah, never thought I'd hear the word "Bellator" get mentioned so frequently at work, but here we are today and people were into talking about that more than Brock Lesnar on PEDs. Shame about Santos and that, but it has given him, MVP and Bellator a bit more celebrity.

• Paid Members

Apparently he re-signed with Bellator recently as well so no chance of him going to the UFC anytime soon. Smart by Coker to make sure he's locked in for a bit.

He's looked impressive so far and that knee finish was beautiful, but I can't help wanting someone to deck him when he's showboating and stuff.

• Paid Members

yeh, i imagine Viacom will bust the bank to keep him too.

Wondering how well the show faired ratings wise.

edit* Bellator peaked at 550,000 viewers on Channel 5. Very good figures according to the report i read.

Edited by Egg Shen