Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

dunno if it's on UK TV, but there's a quality little Bellator show on tonight...

Bellator_159_Caldwell_vs._Taimanglo_Post

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Taimanglo

David Rickles vs. Melvin Guillard

Daniel Weichel vs. Emmanuel Sanchez

Bruna Vargas vs. Emily Ducote

not sure who the women are, but the other 3 fights should be well worth your time.

Rickles/Guillard in Kansas should be pretty wild, Dave Rickles gets treated like a superstar there and always comes to fight, should be a wild one. Melvin missed weight again though, I had the impression Melvin thought he was gonna walk through these divisions post-UFC, it just aint panning out for him, he's currently 1-3 since he left the UFC.

Main draw here for me is Darrion Caldwell though, touted by some as the best prospect in MMA, guys 9-0 and has some freakish talent. Hearing other fighters talk about his potential got me interested, but then seeing him toss an Olympic wrestler in Joe Warren around like he was nothing confirmed it. Guys a beast.

Guillard is moving upto 170lbs after his win on the show.

Caldwell's momentum came to a grinding halt. Apparently he dominated the first two round, but go caught in a guillotine 9 seconds in the to 3rd.

• Paid Members

That's exactly what happened. Caldwell seemed to have to much respect for Baby Joe's power on the feet, it led to him shooting from far out an he just ended up in a deep guillotine, sloppy mistake, hype train derailed.

Guillard caved Rickles head in with elbows, brutal finish. Guillard said he can't make the weight anymore and wants to goto 170 so he can enjoy the rest of his career, he called for a fight with Semtex, i'm all for that.

• Paid Members

My only recollection of seeing Kimbo's son was this...

xc0JA.jpg

That was his reaction to his dad losing to Seth Petruzelli.

I hope he does well. At first I thought he might be getting into it for the wrong reasons because of his dad dying or whatever but from reading bits and pieces it sounds like it's something he's been pursuing for a while.

He looks just like his dad as well. Which is great because Kimbo had one of the best looks in MMA history IMO. And it's not like he's a ripoff, he's Kimbo's son.

kIe7.jpg

xZ76L.jpg

That IS Kimbo's face, isn't it? It's like someone stuck Kimbo in a time machine, for fuck's sake.

Edited by wandshogun09

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator returns this Friday, nice little card too:

8BuMiGZ.jpg

Benson Henderson vs. Patricio Pitbull

AJ Mckee vs. Cody Walker

Derek Anderson vs. Saad Awad

Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Bubba Jenkins

that's how the main card shapes up...Kimbo's son was meant to be making his pro debut on the main card but he's pulled out due to injury.

Benson goes back to 155, he seems to have been thrown a bit of a bone here in terms of actually being the bigger guy in a fight because Patrcio is coming up from 145. Regardless the winner will no doubt fight Michael Chandler for the belt.

AJ McKee is the son of former UFC fighter Antonio McKee, Bellator clearly have him marked as one of their better prospects, i expect to be a bit of a showcase for him.

Bubba Jenkins was someone Bellator seemed to have lined up to be challenging for titles before he fought Georgi Karakhanyan early last year...it resulted in one of the scariest submission losses i've seen in MMA, the rematch deserves a little more hype than it's getting but it should be a good one. Jenkins has some superstar charisma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9UoxrkAku0

There's a guy debuting on the prelims too named Joey Davis who was one of those standout American wrestlers that has crossed over, hoping they squeeze it onto the main card.

• Paid Members

well, Bellator delivered an excellent show outside of a anti-climatic finish to the main event.

First round of Pitbull/Benson was very much a feeling out process, it was shaping in up in round 2 before Pitbull waved the fight off claiming a shin injury. Sucked to finish like that but Benson is now fighting Chandler for the strap, like it.

Rest of the card was a treat, Anderson/Awad was one of the better fights of the year, especially round 1 which was a great round of MMA.

Karakhanyan finished Bubba Jenkins a minute quicker than last night, this time by KO, absolute madness, wonder what odds you would have gotten on that?

AJ McKee's stock continues to rise too, proper showcase he looked awesome. Nice bonus of seeing Lyoto Machida's older brother Chinzo featured too, i didn't even realise he was on the prelims and he looked better than he had any right to do at 39 years old, sharp as a tack.

Bellator announced Michael Page/Fernando Gonzales again and introduced Rory MacDonald too.  Excellent stuff other than that main event.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I think it's more than likely Chael turns up and cuts a promo since he's signed with them now. Bellator have been slowly picking up the pace and have signed some fairly big names recently Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald & now Chael. They should ideally switch to a PPV model down the line if they want to go forward, maybe have quartely big PPVs like the WWF used to do. Being bankrolled by their parent company Viacom has obviously helped them with acquiring fighters but I'm sure somewhere down the line they'd like to step into the PPV waters again and build the brand so they can tour overseas.

Yea I think it's more than likely Chael turns up and cuts a promo since he's signed with them now. Bellator have been slowly picking up the pace and have signed some fairly big names recently Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald & now Chael. They should ideally switch to a PPV model down the line if they want to go forward, maybe have quartely big PPVs like the WWF used to do. Being bankrolled by their parent company Viacom has obviously helped them with acquiring fighters but I'm sure somewhere down the line they'd like to step into the PPV waters again and build the brand so they can tour overseas.

Isn't the Viacom bankrolling and deal due to them being on spike though? I doubt Viacom would happily bankroll them then allow them to fob off their TV duties for PPV.

Huh? It's free programming or whatever the budget is, they then get to sell it worldwide, they aro on Fox in Latin America but Viacom/Spike over here. They would make massive money if they did a PPV that would sell, they can't though just now and they would be lucky to break even, Viacom owned them when they did their last PPV.

Benson Henderson is saying he's retiring next year to join the Army and Rory isn't coming in until the Summer, to let his nose nuturally heal.

• Paid Members

Chael P Sonnen is fantastic. A few minutes in he was already talking up fights with Rory and Fedor. All fought at "Gangster weight".

The contract apparently has a clause which means if a drug test is failed, Bellator will get 100% of the gangster fight purse and will fine a further $500,000. Oh my!

Edited by ColinBollocks