Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Has it been on 5 before or just that Spike channel I haven't got? :sneaky:

how can you not have Spike? its a freeview channel?

...plus the On Demand content is free online or through an app.

• Paid Members

To be fair, that's pretty standard in my experience of UFC events. Fuck all happens apart from a shit load of awful adverts for future events. I'm not really sure what entertainment you expect between fights to be honest? They expect people to go to the bar for drinks etc.

In relation to the pricing, I think it was too high to begin with, but losing Kimbo and the co-main with Koscheck hurt the event badly too. 

It was actually the first time I've watched an entire Bellator main card in it's entirety and really enjoyed it. MVP is just so good and as you mentioned, Thompson has got some chin on him.

What entertainment do I expect? A shit load of awful adverts for future events!

No, fair point. It definitely seemed worse to me then UFC London earlier in the year though. I just thought they could stick a few hype interviews on the big screens, highlights for upcoming fighters, that sort of thing. Basically what the UFC did at UFC London. Instead it was just a silent arena with nothing happening for large periods.

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

To be fair, that's pretty standard in my experience of UFC events. Fuck all happens apart from a shit load of awful adverts for future events. I'm not really sure what entertainment you expect between fights to be honest? They expect people to go to the bar for drinks etc.

In relation to the pricing, I think it was too high to begin with, but losing Kimbo and the co-main with Koscheck hurt the event badly too. 

It was actually the first time I've watched an entire Bellator main card in it's entirety and really enjoyed it. MVP is just so good and as you mentioned, Thompson has got some chin on him.

No, fair point. It definitely seemed worse to me then UFC London earlier in the year though. I just thought they could stick a few hype interviews on the big screens, highlights for upcoming fighters, that sort of thing. Basically what the UFC did at UFC London. Instead it was just a silent arena with nothing happening for large periods.

If it was nothing but dead air that's certainly an odd one. As mentioned even shitty ads provides a bit of background noise to drown out the silence of the arena. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

If it was nothing but dead air that's certainly an odd one. As mentioned even shitty ads provides a bit of background noise to drown out the silence of the arena. 

There was some of that, but there was also a lot of silence.

• Paid Members

how was the Alex Reid fight? im surprised they didn't show it, sounded like he got whooped though.

The actual prelims were weird, im guessing that's what led to the hour delay, they showed the Gallagher fight (which originally was listed as the opener on the main card) then they just shoved the two shortest prelims from earlier in the night on the broadcast before the main card started. Strange way of doing it.

Thoughts on the rest of the main card?

Mitrione went 2-0 in the promotion was found himself in a slugfest with Oli Thompson. Mitrione will likely end up with the strap but he's had two tough ass fights so far, it hasn't been plain sailing.

Douglas Lima looked great, I was high on Lima back when he was the 170lb champ, he was killing everyone they put in the cage with him. The layoff and the Koreshkov defeat completely derailed him though, it also killed some buzz for a Lima/Daley fight, but Lima looked awesome Saturday, beat Daley pretty much everywhere. It's not often you want to see a repeat of a one sided fight but Lima/Koreshkov II needs to happen.

The proposed Benson/Pitbull fight is a great piece of matchmaking too. Whichever way that goes you have a nice set up for the next Chandler fight.

Bellator-160-henderson-pitbull-750.jpg

• Paid Members

how was the Alex Reid fight? im surprised they didn't show it, sounded like he got whooped though.

He looked reasonable on his feet but once he was taken to the ground it was clear he had no answer.

That's the end of Alex Reid to. No one needs to see him fight again. He's not a draw either.

The wait time is weird considering the show was on tape delay. Would have made sense to just have a small gap and bring on the next fight.

That's the end of Alex Reid to. No one needs to see him fight again. He's not a draw either.

The wait time is weird considering the show was on tape delay. Would have made sense to just have a small gap and bring on the next fight.

Still didn't stop bellator sticking him on the front page of the programme:-)

• Paid Members

Some people don't have it I do, it's on some section I think it might be the same one as BT's freeview channel.

I'm sure my ex says she doesn't get it on Virgin Media but she probably does.

Nope, Spike isn't on Virgin at all despite being on Freeview.

• Paid Members

dunno if it's on UK TV, but there's a quality little Bellator show on tonight...

Bellator_159_Caldwell_vs._Taimanglo_Post

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Taimanglo

David Rickles vs. Melvin Guillard

Daniel Weichel vs. Emmanuel Sanchez

Bruna Vargas vs. Emily Ducote

not sure who the women are, but the other 3 fights should be well worth your time.

Rickles/Guillard in Kansas should be pretty wild, Dave Rickles gets treated like a superstar there and always comes to fight, should be a wild one. Melvin missed weight again though, I had the impression Melvin thought he was gonna walk through these divisions post-UFC, it just aint panning out for him, he's currently 1-3 since he left the UFC.

Main draw here for me is Darrion Caldwell though, touted by some as the best prospect in MMA, guys 9-0 and has some freakish talent. Hearing other fighters talk about his potential got me interested, but then seeing him toss an Olympic wrestler in Joe Warren around like he was nothing confirmed it. Guys a beast.