Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

I like Lashley but him saying he has unfinished business with Eddie Edwards was cringe worthy for a MMA event, the announcer should have at least have said just some pro wrestling story he's involved in. Brock didn't call out Orton when he beat Hunt and Bisping didn't say I've got to go try and kill Vin Diesel in XXX.

• Paid Members

Quite liked Lashley getting a cheeky TNA plug in during his interview, nerve of the guy. As for Lashley's fighting career, i think he's doing great. He's not re-inventing the wheel or doing anything that isn't natural to his skillset, he's just executing what he's good at. Since the James Thompson loss he's gone 8-0 with 7 finishes and i can't recall seeing him take any kind of damage. Level of opposition hasn't been terrible either, Heavyweight MMA is in the toilet but Lashley's beating good regional level guys with ease, and the top Bellator heavyweights aint much above that. He could become the champ in 2017 easily.

My rip of the event didn't have the Kato/Matthews fight on there which was annoying because that looked a barnburner of a round. Kato is one of the finds of the year.

Alexander Shlemenko is a must-see fighter. Never in a dull fight and always looking to finish, for a long time he was seen as the no.2 Russian fighter behind Fedor, the suspension has killed some of his momentum but he proved he's still game. He's there to be hit and Grove had a real go but in that kind of fight Shlemenko will usually come out of top, great finish.

Didn't like the Ortiz/Sonnen thing. It was horribly staged. Sonnen at this point is a parody of what he was, he's still good at delivering the lines but Ortiz just sucks. They need to get them face-to-face to make it a little more organic.

Didn't like the Ortiz/Sonnen thing. It was horribly staged. Sonnen at this point is a parody of what he was, he's still good at delivering the lines but Ortiz just sucks.

Ortiz's promos were always crap. I was a fan of his when I first got into MMA, but his interviews have aged terribly. The exceptions being when he made Ken Shamrock kick a chair in the air when he pissed himself laughing at Ken's "beat you into the living death" line, or when he made the Lion's Den faction meltdown in 1999. Even those instances were great through his actions rather than his tongue. 

Sonnen's best stuff was going into the first Anderson fight. Later his routine became too much like he was playing a character - and like Ortiz's stuff -  it hasn't aged well. Sonnen's initial stuff was much more cutting and believable. Some of the best showmanship in MMA history. 

Both were great for the sport in their own way. Bellator are wise to book them. However, personally I could happily live without either in 2016. Both in the moment or from the archives .

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

i agree, Tito was at his best when he was going off pure emotion in the cage. The grave-digger celebration, flipping off Ken Shamrock, all that kind of stuff. Put a microphone in front of him and he's fucking useless. I'm still up for the actual fight but i feel the build up is going to be painful to watch.

• Paid Members

Bellator are entering a period where they have a show a week for a few weeks, this weekend's show is a bit of a doozy. Real strong card that has the kind of names i think that appeals to a lot of MMA fans that may tend to skip Bellator shows, this week's is a bit of a must see:

It's on Spike over here Saturday night (day's delay).

28qr906.jpg

Liam McGeary vs. Phil Davis - 205lb Title Fight

Brennan Ward vs. Saad Awad

Paul Daley vs. Derek Anderson

Marloes Coenen vs. Talita Nogueira

Sergei Kharitanov vs. Javy Ayala

Cracking main card.

McGeary/Davis feels like a big fight, if McGeary beats Davis he cements himself as the top 205lb fighter outside of the UFC. It's a great style fight too, I think Phil Davis has his work cut out for him, feels like wherever Davis will want to take this fight McGeary will give him problems.

Love seeing Sergei Kharitanov on there too, his career has been in limbo for years, there's very little info about the guy but he's finally back!

Bellator have done some pretty interesting promotion for this too, they have animated Liam McGeary style promo vidoes and Phil Davis has election style themed videos, very cool and nice to see them go outside the box.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I will definitely be tuning in for his one and it's massive test for McGeary. We will see just where this guy sits in the elite of 205. 

Mcgreary really holds a big size advantage over Davis, and when Davis inevitably uses his wrestling game, hopefully those long limbs of Mcgreary will give Davis problems. 

• Paid Members

Bellator delivered big-time until a bit of a soul-draining main event.

Phil Davis fought a perfect fight to defeat McGeary, it was just the kind of performance that did nothing to endure him to fans. He avoided damage and used his wrestling base control McGeary, there were a few half-hearted sub attempts but it was more about control for Davis. I was half hoping McGeary's tricky ground game would give Davis problems once the fight did hit the ground but Davis avoided everything, and was it just me or was Phil Davis the most un-thrilled looking person to ever win a World Title?

Everything before the main event was excellent.

Sergei Kharitanov got knocked dead against Javy Ayala, heavyweight MMA is the most unpredictable sport there is. Sergei looked a little pudgey coming in, but i would never have expected to end like that. This was a showcase for Kharitanov before Bellator lineup their tournament next year, Ayala just bunged a spanner in the works.

581dcbf6c3618885018b460a.jpg

Ward/Awad was a 90 second slugfest. Brennan Ward is a money-fighter, massively popular in his hometown and never in a dull fight. Ward dropped the ball a little by not demanding the Paul Daley fight when prompted about it but it's a fight that needs to happen.

The two debut's shown were interesting as well, two of Bellator's high-level college wrestlers had their first fights, both won by TKO, Ed Ruth came back from a knockdown to win and Tyrell Fortune beat a fatty to win his first fight. Fortune seems an interesting prospect as he's a heavyweight, apparently turned down a big money contract from the WWE to fight MMA. Ed Ruth is a 3 time NCAA Champion.

• Paid Members

something i forgot to mention...

Tito Ortiz continues to bumble the promotion for his fight with Sonnen. He came storming to the cage mean mugging Sonnen on Friday and it continues to come off as horribly staged. Ortiz needs to speak his mind rather than trying to match Sonnen catchphrase-for-catchphrase. Ariel Helwani even asked Sonnen if Bellator could take the live mic away from Tito leading upto show because he's shitting the bed. The gay comments he made on Friday summed it up.

Edited by Egg Shen