Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Currently listening to that conference call and Sonnen is full of shit when it comes to his contract with the UFC. He's asked a few times whether he had a contract with the UFC, and he repeats the same statement of that he "didn't have a UFC contract when signing with Bellator".

He's probably rightfully trying to avoid what went on with Dana when he expressed his wish to return, but him saying he didn't have a contract is bollocks. 

He talks openly about entering USADA's testing pool and passing the tests, yet bizarrely not realising that you have to be under UFC contract to be entered into their testing pool.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

The little interview portions fed in throughout Saturday's were pretty weird and Sonnen's still hamming it up but its good to have him back.

Good show too until Cheick Kongo stunk it up again, there can't be many top heavyweights thats had as many stinkers as Kongo.

Yeah Kongo is far from the scary looking fighter he was in his early UFC fights, still probably top 15 but that's because Heavyweight is shocking in MMA outside the top 5-10.

Shane Carwin might be going to Bellator, if he can regain his form he'll win their HW belt and he has insane power in his hands, its just his body is falling apart, King Mo wants to fight him.

• Paid Members

Kongo appears to have completely abandoned kickboxing and become a wrestler/ground and pounder. It's a probably a change in style to help prolong his career and help minimise damage but it's led to an incredibly uneventful Bellator run (9 fights and counting).

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

2jeiow.jpg

tonight.

Alexander Shlemenko vs. Kendall Grove

Bobby Lashley vs. Josh Appelt

Ryan Couture vs. Goiti Yamauchi

Hisaki Kato vs. A.J. Matthews

Dan Charles vs. Virgirl Zwicker

Return of Shlemenko to Bellator, always fun to watch.

Baby Slice was once again meant to make his pro debut but it's off as his opponent came on 25lb over! what the fuck. 'Schilling Killer' Hisaki Kato returns as well, liking what i've seen from that guy.

Jerry Lawler is promoting this because its in Memphis, I know Bellator don't have a big roster and don't know a few guys on that card but seriously Ryan Couture is still getting on main cards? He loses to any half decent fighter and he's hardly a kid, think he's early 30's, the only thing about him is his Dad.

• Paid Members

that's true, stylistically though the Yamauchi fight should be a good one, two grappling based fighters. Couture's kryptonite has always been when he's fought good standup fighters with solid takedown defence...and you may be being a little harsh on his record, Couture got flattened in his last fight but he won 4 straight before that, level of opposition might be questionable (thought a win over Dakota Cochrane is solid) however. The Couture name helps his cause though no doubt.

...being in Bellator also, surely they should have pushed to get Rampage Jackson on this card.

Edited by Egg Shen

I haven't seen much of Bellator and didn't know this was on today, I stumbled across a play by play report while I was doing a general check for MMA news. Looks like a card well worth checking out, at least the main card.

It'd be interesting to see how Bobby Lashley fares in the UFC (if he could pass USADA's testing). From what I've heard, he's comfortably above most of his recent opponents skill wise and is around the same age as most of UFC's heavyweight division. As I type this, I remembered Bellator and TNA having some kind of interpromotional deal, is that still the case? Seems a shame if that's preventing Lashley from having an actual competitive MMA career.

Don't think they have a deal anymore - Remember Spike/TNA fell out and they've moved networks twice since then. They also just mention Lashley's 'pro-wrestling' schedule rather than TNA specific schedule during the broadcast. 

Don't think Lashley would pass much, if any of the USADA tests, guy's absolutely jacked. PED's for the win. Looked impressive though.

He trains at ATT, Yoel Romero & Hector Lombard look like action figures but besides when Romero failed for "tainted supplements" neither guy has failed.

Lombard failed a commission test a few years back but has passed all USADA tests, so Lashley might pass, his level of competition has been pretty weak, we will see how he looks against Matt Mitrione, Cheick Kongo & Sergei Kharatonov.