Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Why? At the time Kimbo was booked as was Daley/Kos 2.

Sticking Shamrock and Royce on there too would have done the very thing you're advising against.

Unless you think they should matchmake based on who could die next, which is insane.

You misunderstand me - I'm saying they should have held it back for this event just in case Kimbo had to pull out, which, given the state that people knew he was in (not the state it later emerged he was in), would have been somewhat of a likelihood.

So the same thing, but with illness rather than death? No one books mma events like that.

Besides, that Kimbo V Dana, Royce V Shamrock gave Bellator their best TV number ever. I don't think they regret it.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Replace "illness" with "injury". And I'd be willing to bet the UFC have been doing that with Velasquez, Aldo, Weidman, Pettis and Cruz for some time.

• Paid Members

Replace "illness" with "injury". And I'd be willing to bet the UFC have been doing that with Velasquez, Aldo, Weidman, Pettis and Cruz for some time.

There is no comparison between the UFC roster and Bellator in respect of matchmaking. UFC have the names in numbers. Bellator not so much.

• Paid Members

In which case, I'd argue that only reinforces my point. If you have limitations on the number of draws you have, it makes sense to be economical with them, and have back-ups in case it goes wrong.

• Paid Members

Or they wanted that monster TV number in the country they are trying to get a foothold in, which that show massively helped toward. And again, No one knew Kimbo was about to die.

Saying they should have kept Royce and Ken back for this is some amazing hindsight nonsense.

Plus with fighters like Dinosaur Shamrock and Royce, you kinda wanna strike when the iron is hot. They're not spring chickens and what do you do when you've sat on this fight and then Ken does his hip and is out Injured.

This also happens in MMA a lot. Say hello to Rashad Evans.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I haven't said anything about Kimbo dying at any point, because I'm not an idiot who looks at things with hindsight, and I don't see the need for this adversarial tone. I've never had a problem with you.

It's not hindsight to suggest that it would've been wiser to hold back on one of two freakshow main events for a later date when you know such fights are limited, even without knowing Kimbo's condition, and you're a company vying with the biggest in the world for ratings, PPV buys and attendance. And given what we know about all four fighters, is it really so illogical to think that Kimbo, a street fighter who's never had a reputation for being in sporting shape, might be more prone to injury than Shamrock, who may be in bad shape, but has offset some of that damage with a regular fitness regime for some years?

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Carbomb. There's no tone, I just think you're talking nonsense.

They wanted that huge TV number they got back in February. They wouldn't have gotten it by putting anything less out than what they did that night. They made the right choice on that night. Can't remember anyone crying out about this at the time.

End of story, this is tedious.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Alright, my mistake. Apologies. Just seemed a little aggressive, was all.

They got a huge number, but I remember a specific and comparatively frequent criticism that they were unable to capitalise on the huge numbers, in that their best upcoming fighters that they wanted to showcase were either unavailable or injured at the time, such as Dhoug Lima and Michael Page. They got the numbers, but it was unsuccessful in terms of Coker's business model, i.e. using the freakshow numbers to get people into the new stars. That's what I was referring to.

• Paid Members

Alright, my mistake. Apologies. Just seemed a little aggressive, was all.

They got a huge number, but I remember a specific and comparatively frequent criticism that they were unable to capitalise on the huge numbers, in that their best upcoming fighters that they wanted to showcase were either unavailable or injured at the time, such as Dhoug Lima and Michael Page. They got the numbers, but it was unsuccessful in terms of Coker's business model, i.e. using the freakshow numbers to get people into the new stars. That's what I was referring to.

I was talking about the part where you said the fight should be 'kept back' to fill in for an injured/dead Kimbo or any other. Nothing else.

Royce/Ken 3 was one of the biggest fights they had. They were never just gonna keep it on the back burner to cover some holes. They did the right thing in giving it promotion and heading up that show.

I honestly don't think Bellator has any viable business model outside of Freakshow fights. They should go all out. Fuck it

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

it seems to be that the standard Friday night shows get the usual roster contender fights with an odd title fight headlining, then the quarterly (ish) Saturday night shows get the freak show/attraction type fights as well as a couple of guy who've made a name for themselves on the Friday shows. I like the way they do it.