WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

It's not entitlement, it's publishers and greed, and people not wanting to stand for it. Unfortunately too many people are vulnerable enough that some of the transactions in games will lead them into bad habits. I'll hold my hands up and admit that if there was an option to pay a quid for a costume I like for a character I play in Street Fighter 5 I'd probably do that. I don't want to pay £25 for all the costumes because I'm not going to use half of them, but if I could make that character feel a little more personal to me then I'm not going to moan too much. I was pleased as punch when I unlocked Ryu's colours from Street Fighter 2 Turbo in Street Fighter 5 because it felt like playing as "my" Ryu. 

What maybe also jars for some players is that there was some focus put on how customisable the characters in Mortal Kombat 11 were, and it turns out each character apparently has 60 costumes, which I then presume you can chop and change around to get the look you're happy with. If I only played as a couple of characters I wouldn't be thrilled if I was getting stuff for other characters. I don't even think the costumes are available to be picked by other players in local multiplayer? I could be wrong. It feels like some of the stuff in there is to pad the length of the game. I like that the fatals and brutals aren't locked away behind the Koin pay wall anymore, but the rest of the krypt stuff in MKX was artwork etc.

I'm still going to end up buying MK11 at some point in a sale. It's just a shame it's become another chapter in the shitty publishers practices story. At least it's not as bad a DOA6's costume nonsense or DOA5 with its total cost of $1300 with all the dlc thrown in. 

On an unrelated note I tried playing Conan Exiles as it's free on PSN this month. Wow, there is a lot to learn in the game, and it tells you NOTHING. I don't want my hand held throughout, but even a basic tutorial rather than having to trawl through forums and YouTube videos would have been fun. It's definitely a time sink, and I have no doubt that you'll get whatever enjoyment out that you put into it, but it's not really for me. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I ended up getting a Platinum on it, bags of fun. I don’t know where TildeGuy copied and pasted his dull opinion from but just ignore him.

My advice would be to try and do as much side stuff as you can as you go along as some boss fights and late game areas get difficult, so having upgrades and companions to fall back on helps.

• Paid Members

I loved 3 and liked 4, but got bored very quickly with 5. It's far too busy. Can't cross the road without getting into a war, it's tedious. Fuck silent protagonists too.

Shame, as the setting's great and there aren't many alternative games that will let me use shovels as javelins.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

I found FC4 to be the boring one.

Fuck me I hate D'Vorah's stage in MK11. Makes my skin crawl.

I hate when you think you've beat her and she pops that horrible fucking fly thing out.

I'm just sitting here chilling while the AI cleans up trophies for me. Yes that's right a chunk of the trophies can be unlocked by letting the game play itself.

Not a good sign.

Edit.

Don't know what the fuck happened there.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm just sitting here chilling while the AI cleans up trophies for me. Yes that's right a chunk of the trophies can be unlocked by letting the game play itself.

Not a good sign.

Edit.

Don't know what the fuck happened there.

I mean, it’d take a lot of luck and time, and you’re robbing yourself of actually playing it. Aside from the 2 Trophies for doing AI battles, the only ones it can do are completing towers and doing both of every fighter’s fatalities. The AI fights are practically luck and in the towers you can’t fast forward them. So you’re sat watching 50/50 AI fight in real time in the hope they A. Win, and B. Do both Fatalities. 

I remember buying a Mortal Kombat game for £50 on the Mega Drive. Costs the same now, no wonder they're trying to cheese off a few more quid. Rule with loot boxes should always be cosmetic enhancements and non essential items. Anything else is a bit of a piss take.

59 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I mean, it’d take a lot of luck and time, and you’re robbing yourself of actually playing it. Aside from the 2 Trophies for doing AI battles, the only ones it can do are completing towers and doing both of every fighter’s fatalities. The AI fights are practically luck and in the towers you can’t fast forward them. So you’re sat watching 50/50 AI fight in real time in the hope they A. Win, and B. Do both Fatalities. 

I'm still having some fun with it. Just can't be arsed to play anything right now so decided to just relax while letting it run in the background.

• Paid Members

I paid £60 for Super Street Fighter 2 on Megadrive about 25 years ago. I think that's the most I've spent on a game ever. 

I've been cracking back through endless towers on MKX. I love how it's 20 fights of not having many problems, then suddenly it's input reading, dropping inputs and nothing is safe on block anymore because it thinks you've gone far enough. Such lazy AI. I like the Tekken and SoulCalibur ones where they collect player data and try to recreate those styles offline. Same with Virtua Fighter's AI. They have loads of patterns so you can actually feel like you're learning the game, rather than trying to figure out how to exploit an AI. Virtua Fighter 4 had a career mode where you'd go around arcades in Japan challenging local players and entering tournaments. It was fascinating.