WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

@Mr_Danger nice one, cheers for that. I've already done one, so I'll head for the one you suggested next.

Definitely give Witcher 3 a go, I think you'll really like it. The characters are excellent and it's far more humorous than similar games. Maybe give it a while though first if you've invested so much time and emotion in the other games you mentioned. It's like an adult Zelda game, in pretty much every sense (TITS!)

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

MK11

Solid mechanics, bland to terrible everything else. The Towers of Time are so bad it's better to just let the AI do the fighting.

I hear the pay-to-skip-grinding is the worst example ever. What's your experience? 

Can't comment on skipping but I'm a stubborn prick so haven't really looked into it. Definitely a grind fest if you want skins and other cosmetics.

The fighting itself is very satisfying though so if that's all that interests you then I give it thumbs up.

Edit.

Actually letting the AI handle towers is basically skipping. So yeah it's bad.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Awards Moderator
18 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Can't comment on skipping but I'm a stubborn prick so haven't really looked into it. Definitely a grind fest if you want skins and other cosmetics.

The fighting itself is very satisfying though so if that's all that interests you then I give it thumbs up.

Edit.

Actually letting the AI handle towers is basically skipping. So yeah it's bad.

This Redditor thinks it costs at least $6k to unlock everything

• Paid Members

It's not just cosmetics is it? I heard it was the Brutalities that were behind the grind wall as well. A lot of people have been unhappy with the grind and the fact that they're randomly unlocked once you've earned enough of whichever of the three in game currencies you need to unlock whatever you've earned.

NetherRealm Studios/Warner have lowered the costs,amount of grinding, increased the frequency of rare drops etc, but they probably stuck everything up really high/low and altered it to what they actually wanted to charge initially to make it look as though they're doing the customers a favour.

I'm waiting for Maximillian Dood's video about it. He and his mates were playing it on stream on release day and I hear when they saw the state of it they lost a lot of their interest. There are also gripes from players like the default character move settings in the practice/training mode not being the same as the tournament legal/online versions but if you're just at home playing with friends that'snot really going to be too much of an issue. I'll probably hang fire and see whether it ends up in a sale later in the year.

There's a new costume pack for DOA6 out (Pirates volume 1 aka bikinis and pirate hats for some chaarcters), and a free trial period for Street Fighter 5 going on at the moment as well to try and lure people away from MK11.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

and a free trial period for Street Fighter 5 going on at the moment as well to try and lure people away from MK11.

Gave that ago today, you spend more time in loading screens then actually playing the game, it’s terrible.

• Paid Members

It can be. It's worse when there's a big update to download as well. The Story mode doesn't even save it as it's single rounds and feels  like it was chucked in as an afterthought because all the other fighting games have story mode now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've been following Angry Joe and Jim Sterling chat/rant about this Mortal Kombat/Dead Or Alive mess. 

Fallout 76, Anthem, and now this.  What a shit state of affairs modern gaming is in, and what's more frustrating are the brainwashed imbeciles who are defending this garbage.

Meanwhile, I'm a bit behind on everyone and have just started playing Undertale. How bloody wonderful is this game? It's immensely charming, genuinely funny and a real challenge when deciding how to defeat enemies without killing them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I watched it this morning, but I was wondering more whether he'd have done an edit from the stream where they found what looked like leftover graphical artefacts from lootboxes and the like rather than his having a bit of a gripe while Ed Boon tries to cover his ass, and then saying "let me just buy the stuff". Although Max probably doesn't want to be getting on the bad side of fighting game devs as they're ostensibly paying his wages. This has launched to a lot of bad press. Warner don't care because they know they'll probably make their money, but I don't think NetherRealm Studios will be happy with it as they come across as wanting a good relationship with the community. Seven in game currencies? ridiculous. There's a function where you can have an AI fight for you, but that then reduces Mortal Kombat to a free to play clicker that you've paid £50 for.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/414772137

There's a link to the video on his Twitch channel . If you watch from about 1 hr 20 you can see his reactions to it. I'm surprised Jim Sterling hasn't gotten onto it yet, but there's probably a Jimquisition episode to be made about it, rather than one of his daily news videos.
Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I don't mind Maximillian Dood but him and a lot of other streamers have blown it out of proportion to make an at times flawed system seem like an atrocity against gaming, because quite frankly they feel entitled. 

I've had Mortal Kombat since Saturday and have been playing it almost none-stop and while some things they say are true, most of it is bollocks that they want to moan about and get their own way.

The Towers of Time are bogus, they're right about that. They're stupidly difficult in some cases to the point of not being fun. There's a lot of AI input reading so even Medium difficulty will fuck you, some fights have modifiers which range from a little difficult to unfair, mostly the latter. For every fight where you're forced to switch up strats because relying on close combat freezes you after time, there's 5 where the AI has mulitple unblockable assist characters or projectiles. 
A lot of feedback is based on the fact these Towers are the main way to unlock guaranteed character items, e.g if you want Jax gear, do the Jax Tower of Time. It's not the only way to unlock stuff, but it's where you're encouraged to go and they've made it mostly not fun. 

What bugs me though is the moaning about The Krypt being random, or people expecting only Brutalities and Fatalities to be in chests. Like in that video TildeGuy posted, Dood is running around literally the first area of a massive, expansive Krypt and he's expecting Brutalities and Fatalities from the first chests he sees. They're random, so it's entirely possible he might get some, and he did and moaned it was for Jade and he doesn't use her. I've sank hours into the Krypt mode and let me tell you, it's massive. It's basically a game all of itself. If you were to unlock only the best stuff from the start, or if the chests weren't random and the internet spoiled where everything was, you'd buy them and never go back to The Krypt, so the way they've done it is perfect if you ask me.
Yeah, sometimes you get stuff you don't want, but say he gets a Jade pack full of cool Jade stuff, someone else might use Jade and love that. It's all in-game currency that cannot be bought with real money, so yeah it's grindy and random, but if you could just outright buy it with cash or knew where everything you wanted was, it'd be a waste of everyone's time.

The game itself is hands down the best Mortal Kombat game in terms of pure straight up gameplay. Tons of modes, fantastic mechanics, lots to see and do. It's bizarre to me that this game gets massive backlash because you have to unlock things for free whereas you have other games like say Street Fighter V which released barebones with fuck all in it, charged out the arse for already made DLC and quite frankly is just poorly made all round and that gets nowhere near the same flak.
You can even do the locked Fatalities without unlocking them, all you do is unlock the instructions in your Move List so really Fatalities are one of the more useless drops because you could literally just look it up and remember it, or do what my mate did the day it came out and just fucking accidentally do one by teabagging me with Kabal.

I've played this game for days now and in that time I've -
Finished every Tutorial including Character Tutorials
Finished Story Mode
Finished 3 Story Towers (Jax, Kano, Liu Kang)
Spent Hours in The Krypt
Played about 10 or so Ranked Online Games and about 4 Casual
Messed around in Customisation for ages
Played about 20 Offline VS Games
About 4 parts of a 5 part Tower of Time

With the currency I've gotten from doing that, I've unlocked an absolute shitload of Skins, Fatalities, Brutalities, Taunts, Intros alongside some of the worse stuff like Consumables, Augments and Icons. I've never once felt like I was grinding though and I'm more than happy with how much I've unlocked for the time I've put in. There are literally thousands of unlocks and people are expecting to just be able to have everything in a day. The game's only officially been out a few days and it's nowhere near as bad as people are saying unless they legit just got the game to farm items in the Towers because everything else is as spot on as you'll get.

The Patch NRS are doing is still welcome though, especially the amount of Currency gained from fights increasing and Towers of Time being nerfed. The free currency they're giving away is more than generous.

• Paid Members

Street Fighter V got all the flack when it released without story mode, arcade mode, Ken's banana hair, tiny in game currency drops and ridiculously high unlock costs for everything , even more when they get the begging bowl out every Evo and asked for £20 to buy the "Pro tour pack" which contained a stage and three costumes.The dlc.microtransaction bullshittery has been going on in Street Fighter since Street Fighter 4/ X Tekken with its on disk DLC and pay to win gem pack mechanics This is why hardly anybody plays Street Fighter V nowadays. It was even worse in Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite with the Disney dictated roster and awful graphics, which is why that game was pretty much dead after a year in spite of it playing well by accounts.

I think the only reason Street Fighter headlines EVO nowadays is probably because of its name value and some kind of Sony involvement in both of them, Tekken 7 is a better choice for headlining as it's the better selling game from the more successful franchise.

If the unlocks in Street Fighter 5 had been randomised as well as being so expensive it would have been a lot worse. I know there's the lucky ticket thing, but that was a lower price  and option, so when you'd been grinding away for however long it was you could get something you wanted and felt a little sense of reward rather than then having to stick your in game currency into a fruit machine and hoping RNGsus would be smiling on you today.

I think it is also that people in the FGC aren't as conditioned to accept stuff like this as willingly as some people that will plow thousands into Ultimate Team packs andthe like on FIFA and Madden etc. They're used to "Finish the game with this character to unlock this costume. Play this mode to unlock this colour", and while the Koins/Krypt thing in MKX did contain the element of earning the koins and randomly unlocking the stuff, it felt fair, and never felt like a grind.

We all need to get back to the shadows mode in Killer Instinct. There was a fun mode. I imagine it'll get better over time,but it's been a rocky launch and it's likely all on Warner.