WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Nothing to do with anything, but here's a quick recommendation for a game that barely seems to have been mentioned anywhere online - Moonlighter, out today for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Apparently there'll be a Switch version later in the year too.

It's part top down roguelite dungeon crawler and part shop management, which sounds ridiculous but it really is quite excellent. Basically you loot the dungeons and sell what you find, then use the money you make to upgrade your shop, the town, and your own weapons and armour. I've been finding it Stardew Valley levels of addictive, and the few reviews that have come out so far have all been 8's and 9's so hopefully word will spread soon enough. Proper proper good, it is. The trailer takes a while to get going, but skip to around the 2 minute mark if it sounds like it might be your sort of thing. 

Yoku's Island Express dropped yesterday and is a bit of a treat.

It's basically a Metroidvania style game where the whole map is a giant pin ball table. It looks lovely and is super chilled out.

If Ori by way of Sonic Spinball sounds appealing, consider it recommended.

Edited by BrodyGraham
Grammar

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed just dropped on X-Box Games with Gold for free.

In terms of track design it's in my 2 favourite racing games, next to Burnout 2. I'd also recommend it purely on the level of being an old school Sega fan. It feels like a proper love letter. 

They've probably done that to stir interest in the newly revealed sequel, though they've restricted it to just Sonic characters this time around.

• Paid Members

Shame it's going to be just Sonic characters - I don't really care about Shadow The Hedgehog or that cat thing, but was always grinning like an idiot playing as Alex Kidd racing around a Golden Axe track. I'm a sucker for Master System/Mega Drive nostalgia, though, and the market for kids playing the new Sonic games/watching the cartoons is probably bigger than oldies nerding out over Super Monkey Ball.

• Paid Members

Played Mother Russia Bleeds start to finish round a friend's house earlier. It's ok. 

It promises "Streets of Rage meets Hotline Miami" but sadly doesn't peak as high as either of them. The Beat-Em-Up mechanics and tropes aren't as polished as you'd want and the difficulty spikes massively on bosses and then dips back down for normal enemies. If you're going to call your game "like Streets of Rage" then it needs to be at least as good as SoR when it comes to gameplay, and it isn't.
It's also not as violent or simple as Hotline Miami. It's rammed with gore, but it's limited to shooting heads off and one fatality-style move per character. There's a lot of opportunity for environment kills or a bigger moveset for characters, but it doesn't bother aside from the odd boss. It also has quite long levels, so it's not as easy to pick up and play.

It's only £2-odd and it was worth every penny of that, but it's not something I'd go back to. Forgettable soundtrack and very samey levels, it's imbalanced in 2 player and doesn't offer anything to go back to like say Castle Crashers or Hotline Miami. You can unlock extra powerups to use in the game other than heal or rage mode, but you have to play the Arena game mode, which I assume is just waves of enemies. 

The problem with any of these SoR type throwbacks is that they're just not as good, the originals were developed by masters of their craft.

The one thing I'd have loved for Sega to do is team up with the SoR: Remake guys and get that a legit release instead of getting it taken down. It's pretty much all three games mashed together with a few extras thrown in and the ability to customise a fair bit.

3 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Is there any way I can play any version of Fire Pro on my PS4 ?

Any demos available ??

It's due for release in August in America, but no date for Europe as of yet.

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The one thing I'd have loved for Sega to do is team up with the SoR: Remake guys and get that a legit release instead of getting it taken down. It's pretty much all three games mashed together with a few extras thrown in and the ability to customise a fair bit.

When compared with their dealings with Christian Whitehead and the Sonic games (even putting him to work on Sonic Mania), it really is a shame they weren't as accommodating with SoR: Remake. The latter was C&D'd upon release (after 8 years of publicised development) the same year they published Whitehead's homemade version of Sonic CD.