Predict the Mania card

Wasteman

• Paid Members

How come people are saying the Rock is definitely not going to be there now, has he said something?

Rock has not wrestled since he got hurt wrestling Cena which caused him to have to miss both the Raw where they were going to lay the foundation for him vs Lesnar for the year after, and more crucially, either delayed beginning of filming his next film or caused him to cancel some publicity jobs for an existing one, I forget. Either way, it impacted his film career, which by far and away is his actual livelihood now. I can't foresee Rocky ever wrestling again and jeopardizing anything to do with his career in acting by risking getting hurt. Unless he squashes the Brooklyn Brawler in 30 seconds on one of those nostalgia Raws or something.

Also Masky said this which you may have missed since he put it in spoiler tags ;

The Rock will not be wrestling as he is struggling to find insurance for an upcoming film he is set to do straight afterwards. He may still appear but not in a match.

Sorry to be a bummer, guys. but in terms of wrestling -

Rock will not be there, and is probably finished.

Batista will not be there, and to listen to the man speak, may be finished.

Angle will not be there, and as far as WWE are concerned, is finished.

Sting is not likely to be there and given that he got hurt badly at his age and doesn't need the money, may very will be finished.

CM Punk will not be there.

Your Mania card will comprise of the same blokes you see wrestle every week on Raw, plus Brock, Undertaker and possibly Hunter.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Triple H is going to have to wrestle, unless he gets some kind of injury. I imagine he would only ever be sitting out if the show is packed and there isn't any need for him, which is the exact opposite of what they have right now. Problem is he isn't really a big enough name to carry a headline match by himself. He's more than qualified for a supporting role (against Rock would have been fine) or one of the big matches that isn't quite the main event (like with Sting.)

They are going to have to do something really outside the box to make sure this isn't the worst line up in years. Throwing money at a random celebrity is their best chance to make the show stand out at this point.

Does Goldberg still hate WWE? I know he wanted another match recently for his kid to watch him wrestle, but that kind of fizzled out and didn't hear any more about it

Don't see a reason to be so down on it just cos Rock and Batista won't be there

Best parts of what I thought was a very satisfactory Mania last year were probably the main event, Orton v Rollins & the midcard ladder match. HHH/Sting was pretty pants, though it's difficult to gauge how pants it would've been sans baffling nWo/DX stuff and the sledgehammer handshake, Taker added nothing really and the best parts were all featuring people who were on Raw the next night & committed to the company. Sure they're the same lads we see each week but they can still pull a great show out of the bag if they promote the right NXT guys at the right time, make a star or 2 and tell a couple decent stories. Whether they can do that remains to be seen for sure but there's no need to potentially hold off on elevating guys for someone who wrestles once every 5 years for nostalgia kicks. Maybe lack of household names hurts buyrate but that's not any of our issue as fans, I'll be tuning in no matter what like all of you just hoping to see a cracking show.

Rock v Brock sounds great, if viewed in a time-void, but for Mania I just think "what a waste of Brock"

If Batista never set foot in a WWE ring again it would be fine with me. And if this year's WrestleMania is out to break attendance records I would put money on The Rock appearing on the show cutting a promo of some sort. And it's obvious Austin will have some kind of role at Mania 32, don't rule him out as being the "Host".

• Paid Members
Rock v Brock sounds great, if viewed in a time-void, but for Mania I just think "what a waste of Brock"

That's essentially what WrestleMania has been for years, a one-off spectacular with huge matches from a "big names" point of view involving guys that only turn up every few months, have about 3 matches a year or have been drafted in especially for the time of year, with the sole focus on "what's the biggest show we can put on" with fuck-all relevance to what they'll be doing in six weeks time. Well, apart from XXX where they accidentally paid off a story with an 8 month build with a game-changing result (had Danny Bry not contracted Neck AIDS). For WrestleMania, it's precisely a Rock or Batista or other huge name that won't be turning up that I'd like to see him fight, someone at or near his level, not Dean Ambrose or Bray Wyatt or virtually anyone.

I'm buggered if I know what they'll do with Lesnar. He's fought everyone of note that could pass for a main event star on the roster apart from Orton.

• Paid Members

If you think Brock vs. Rock is a waste of Brock then I'd love to know who you think Brock should be facing where it wouldn't be a waste. He's feuded with all the proper stars and everyone else is such a chump that it'd just look and feel weird pairing them with Lesnar at Wrestlemania. Dean Ambrose vs. Brock Lesnar? LOL.

Well they've fannied about in this manner for so long that Batista can quite easily be considered the last proper star they've made. There's no excuse not to pull the trigger on an Ambrose and a competitive match with Brock, win, lose or draw -not saying that's what I would book- would elevate him further.

Atm it's like they're playing EWR or some other sim game and frozen everybody's 'overness' rating dead-still. Part-timer vs nostalgia wrestler feeds that beast even further. You all complain about it on Monday nights, yet this is the stage where you can do something about it and you all want to spit it out?

• Paid Members

Rock v Brock is about the biggest match they can realistically do, and going by what others have typed, it may not be all that realistic. Still, Vince wouldn't have fucked off the climax of Lesnar/Taker if he didn't have something special. Although this is a bloke that thought Batista v Orton at 'Mania XXX would be the biggest match ever.

The news of no Rock and no Rousey from the Observer really put a cap on just how big a hole they've dug themselves going forward. With ratings so low and a seeming inability to make a star out of the current crop with their method of promotion, I'm not really sure what they have. Reigns Vs. Brock seems logical, which only leaves Taker Vs. Cena as a marquee match with the big names that they haven't done. HHH will try and worm his way into something big too, despite not having nearly the name value others of his part-time ilk do, but he wants to think that way, so bless his heart.

With no Rock or Rollins, what does Trips have? Ambrose?

What a ridiculous thing to say. It's the one Brock Lesnar match that could be relied on to do huge business on the biggest night of the year. He could wrestle whichever one of your favourites you want him to wrestle at half a dozen other events. If they've got the option of Rock vs Lesnar, doing anything else with him would be a waste of Brock.

• Paid Members

Part-timer vs nostalgia wrestler feeds that beast even further. You all complain about it on Monday nights, yet this is the stage where you can do something about it and you all want to spit it out?

The difference is that the weekly telly and the other 9 months of the year of PPVs are the building blocks where the stars should be created so that you get to create a huge card at WrestleMania. It might be sad that by the time this year's WrestleMania comes around the biggest stars that we want to see collide are effectively off the active roster, but that's the truth. Brock Lesnar vs someone obviously beneath him on the totem pole might be fine for a Network special, but I don't want to see it on a big 4 show, and especially not WrestleMania. You can try and fix the totem pole as you go, but when Mania comes around, it's too late, people are where they are. People should be getting in the ring with their equals, from first bell to last.

Well, apart from when you have access to a Snooki, obviously.

I just think with the amount of casual eyes on Mania (no matter what basically, practically none of my friends watch wrestling much but it seems everybody keeps an eye on Mania), Rock v Brock might bring the buys in but how many of those drawn in by that are gonna tune into a Raw product whose ratings I hear are sagging badly, seemingly week by week? A casual tunes into Mania and sees Ambrose or any future 'star' in the big long queue go the distance in a barnstormer with Brock, and they'll think "fucking hell, this fella's good, I may have to start/restart watching the product again"

Their best star ever was arguably made at Mania v Bret. He had momentum before that but that night was the clincher. That's the admittedly slightly idealistic mold I'm looking for here and which I love to see

I know it's a bit different with Brock cos more often than not, Brock destroys guys and it's a blast to see but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Him just squashing folk in 4 mins at televised houses for eternity completely goes against the evolutionary process that is wrestling and will only make their week-to-week continue to look more and more futile.

I'd put money on Brock winning the Rumble and facing Reigns for the title again. If there's no Rock/Batista/Sting etc the other marquee matches i'd go for would be:

Undertaker vs John Cena

Triple H vs Dean Ambrose

Although I think there's a possibility this Wyatt/Taker thing could stretch to Mania and we end up with Strowman/Taker.

Taker vs Goldberg would be cool just from a dream scenario perspective. Matches would be the shits and it won't happen but still.

Lesnar vs Rock doesn't appeal to me. They have done it once before and I don't see The Rock coming off as vulnerable enough to be a huge face.

Taker vs Cena is the most likely secondary main event... If Rollins comes back as a face this would be the perfect time to have Reigns turn heel, telling the fans to stick it.

Mania 32 just looks like a culmination of their reliance on older or part time stars over the last few years. That was never sustainable and they have not planned ahead. It's insane that everyone thinks mania is screwed because guys who never wrestle won't be on the card. It should be the culmination of well built storylines not a reset at the rumble.

Also, while it looks good on paper how on eaeth do you book taker v cena without turning the latter heel?

Archived