Roddy Piper is dead

Astro Hollywood

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't contributed to this thread as there are so many comments that are much better than anything I could put together. But I'm planning to watch some of the early TNT episodes from 1984 tonight, he was absoloutely brilliant on those.

eDVyYnNpMTI=_o_rowdy-roddy-piper-bob-ort

Watched this last night - its a reall cool little segment. Its only 2 or 3 months after WM1 yet Piper is pretty subdued for the most part.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO4WxFdEVcg

Whenever I work a convention I usually post a picture of my table/stock to whatever social media I'm using to advertise what I have for sale. Surely someone must be able to prove what they arrived at the convention with? If the original guy has photos of unsigned prints on his table that would end the stupid argument? Likewise Fienstien should have something to prove he will be selling signed prints prior to convention? Considering it would obviously be a big seller, you'd think one of them would mention it somewhere online before hand. If no one can prove it either way then neither deserve to be trusted on such a slanderous matter.

(Although saying that I'm working a convention next weekend and I don't have a banner, business cards, prints, sketchbooks, available designs or clients yet because I forgot until a few hours ago.)

• Paid Members

Interesting to think about when wrestlers were at their peak. When you hear things like WWE only want talent under 30, like they're Arsene Wenger playing Championship Manager, it's ludicrous when you consider how late some guys peak.

I thought Piper peaked in 91/92 when he was 37/38. I know his heel character was incredible in 1985 and that was the height of his stardom in some ways but as a performer, it was later. He was so assured by that point and just utterly brilliant at getting the most out of very little. He did it in a way that wasn't at all boring too. Not like some other guys who talk about making every move matter but really mean they sat in restholds for 80% of every match.

Piper had incredible energy in his work (and his personality) that really lifted the shows. I've never really known why he all but disappeared after WM8 but it was a big loss.

His hair was fucking spectacular in late 1991 too. One of the best barnets I've ever seen.

• Paid Members

I'm watching Legends House on the network (hadnt seen it, so fancied watching it), and Piper is showing off his scars. This guy must have been in agony if you think about it. He had a scar on his hip from a hip replacement, a big scar down his back, a scar down the centre of his neck. And he didnt even show you his knees. He must have had injuries to every part of his body over the years. Just makes you think, those old wrestlers took a fucking beating back in the day.

Interesting to think about when wrestlers were at their peak. When you hear things like WWE only want talent under 30, like they're Arsene Wenger playing Championship Manager, it's ludicrous when you consider how late some guys peak.

I thought Piper peaked in 91/92 when he was 37/38. I know his heel character was incredible in 1985 and that was the height of his stardom in some ways but as a performer, it was later. He was so assured by that point and just utterly brilliant at getting the most out of very little.

Keep in mind, though, Piper didn't spend those years in between '85 and '91 wrestling at little shit halls for no-mark leagues. If he's working for $50 a night, perhaps he never gets as assured in his performance.

I could see Finn Balor's age being a problem for him. He's so, so shit at interviews and doesn't project any personality at all. The "demon" facepaint thing is just like a dull student going out in fancy dress. And this is, in part, because he's spent years wrestling in companies that didn't need him to be particularly charismatic. Of course, those years also built him a reputation and backstory that mean WWE will overlook his flaws. So it's swings and roundabouts.

It's hard to say they are keener to develop their own talent from scratch, because it's rare that they have a new champion who has more than 2-3 years on the roster. Look at the big four: Hogan had been there before, but he'd only landed back in the WWF about a month when he won the belt. Austin debuted at the end of 1995 and was champion in spring 1998. Rock won in two years after debuting. Cena, under three. And it's not just them. Undertaker, a year. Jericho, just over two. Batista, under three. Orton, two. CM Punk, two. Daniel Bryan, less than that. Rollins, about two and a half.

There are exceptions whose first title win was past the three-year point -- Edge, Triple H, Miz -- but it's certainly not a culture where they will build you slowly from the bottom. And in the current climate of midcard mire where every week makes you that little bit less special, if you haven't made it to the top by year three, you probably won't. So in that respect, it makes sense for them to not bring people on telly too young and too inexperienced. It makes me think Reigns and Ambrose need to get their arses in gear too.

I was a HUGE Piper fan, loved his work and never understood (at the time, as a kid) why he kept appearing and disappearing.

I was actually just starting to really get access to watching it around the time of him winning the IC title and didn't actually at the time realise the significance of his dropping the belt to Bret (isn't it a fact that Piper never had a clean PPV loss in WWF).  After that he was gone again so i missed his contributions until 98.  Of course by the time i got back into it in 2001 Piper was physically shot and didn't look good at all (wish he hadn't been trotted out looking that horrendous for that match against Mr America).

Its interesting to note that Piper had an incredible amount of injuries and yet he wasn't taking Flair style bumps or working like Sabu and had long periods away from the ring so it must be attributable to:

• His method of bump taking
  • The rings he worked in
  • A physical disposition to picking up ring damage (as opposed to a Funk or Flair)
  • The sheer schedule

he seemed like a great guy, and it's a shame for his family that he had to pass so young, however i recall an interview for 'Off the Record' years ago where he listed his routine which would go

wake up: coke/pills(uppers)

Travel

Workout: steroids/ephedrine

Pre-match: Painkillers/coke/pills

Post match: painkiller/coke/pills/booze

Party: painkiller/coke/pills/booze

Before bed: pills(downers)/booze

repeat,

He said then he wasn't going to reach 65. factor in steroids, and the internal damage of taking bumps and doing that 365 days a year and really is it any surprise??

He did seem like a cracking fella, however i imagine that he hit it harder than most and i remember alot of mid 00's promo's being un-intelligable.

i think those of us who are old enough to be fans of that era will have the depressing inevitability of hearing about this semi regularly as these guys his the 50+ point.

It does go to show though that some people have insane constitutions. I mean look at Roberts, Sandman and Hall, they're still going in there 50's and Sabu is 50, and had suffered an insane amount of injuries (2 x broken next, broken ribs, leg, arm, jaw etc) nearly 20 years ago and continues to wrestle a high impact style still  (wont even go into the substances hes used). 

I was bored and watching the WWE top 25 rivalries thing, and the Hogan-Piper bit was on. You know in the build up to Wrestlemania, did Piper hit or kick Cyndi Lauper properly in that angle? Because it cuts from him going mental to her on the floor in the ring. Did he properly hit her?

Archived