UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Not to shit in anyone's cereal, this info is from the UFC's biography section for Conor Mcgregor and hasn't been confirmed from other sources.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/24/9032095/ufc-189-ppv-buys-top-one-million-conor-mcgregor-chad-mendes-las-vegas-mma

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/24/9033133/ufc-189-mcgregor-vs-mendes-ppv-did-1-million-ppv-buys

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Did anyone see Mcgregor's tweet the other day about fighter's pay? Basically before that fight, Mendes was on a 48k flat plus 48k win bonus for his fights. For the Mcgregor fight Mendes was paid 500k flat. Mcgregor was basically saying that he doesn't blame all the "bums" lining up to fight him as he changes their lives.

I'm guessing Mendes was given that deal due to him saving the event on 2 weeks notice, but what a pay rise.

• Paid Members

Not to mention that he's bound for more, given that the circumstances make it incredibly easy to pitch a re-match. And if Mendes wins the re-match, the money for the rubber match would be insane.

• Paid Members

UFC fighters pay (aside from the guys at the top) is pretty shocking given the size of the organisation. Ian McCall was on Jamey Jasta's podcat last week, talking about this and the Reebok deal. Well worth a listen. 

• Paid Members

Todd Duffee got $12,000 for headlining the other week! 12!!

I listened to the McCall podcast Mike, i love the Jasta podcasts, great stuff. Creepy briefly touched on his old gang days too, you just they were the biggest scumbags about back in the day.

• Paid Members

You would hope the UFC would do more for their fighters who headline a show, but I highly doubt it. Mendes was a one off here. I remember when a while ago Machida was asked to save an event and according to Dana White was asking for "Anderson Silva money" and the UFC refused.

I take what White says with a pinch of salt, but the point is that the UFC, as with Mendes, can increase a fighters pay at their discretion, but it only seems to be when it benefits them. There really should be a tiered bonus system where a fighter ends up on the card, on top of their flat rate contract.

The UFC will argue that if the fighter earns the main event slot that come when they are due to renew their deal, their stock will be higher and worth more to the UFC. The problem will be with cases like Todd Duffee where he's generated some buzz from a couple of quick KO's, earned himself that slot, and now has to go up the ladder again. He will then be rewarded by probably keeping the same shitty contract terms next time. 

Archived