UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Considering the level the UFC are operating at nowadays, there really shouldn't be anyone who is operating at a level beyond the fightpass prelims who has to work a regular job as well as fight to support themselves.

There should be a decent flat rate of pay for fighters, which can obviously be topped up by bonuses such as PPV numbers and performance bonuses.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Man, Duffee getting $12,000 for main eventing a card in 2015 is straight taking the piss.

Remember a couple of years ago when there was that big thing about UFC fighters being underpaid? Was it ESPN who did a piece on it? I remember Dana predictably losing his shit over it and Lorenzo went on there to play 'good cop' and save some face. I clearly remember Lorenzo saying that the lowest they were paying fighters at that time was $6,000 to show/$6,000 to win. And I think that was the standard initial rate for newcomers (unless they were an established name, obviously). So guys winning fights on the Facebook prelims were getting $12,000 back then. We're talking 2011 or 2012. How can they justify a fighter in a televised main event getting the same amount (regardless of whether he won or lost) three or four years later in 2015? They're always saying how they're killing it business wise and stuff, yet a TV main eventer in 2015 is picking up the same as a curtain jerker in 2012?

I wish Dana was still doing the media scrums and someone in the MMA media had the bollocks to Paxman him on this. Of course, we wouldn't get a proper answer. I know that. Just lots of shouting, swearing and Dana pink face. But I liked that at least when he was doing the scrums these questions could be asked.

What makes it even worse is a guy like Duffee can no longer even top up his measly paycheque by going out and trying to secure his own sponsors. He has to just make do with the few breadcrumbs he gets thrown at him from this Reebok deal.

What makes it even worse is a guy like Duffee can no longer even top up his measly paycheque by going out and trying to secure his own sponsors. He has to just make do with the few breadcrumbs he gets thrown at him from this Reebok deal.

Removing the sponsors from the fighters shorts and shirts, as well as the banner they used to hang over the cage during the intros was supposed to help provide a "cleaner look".

But the UFC can still plaster shit all over the octagon and advertise Harley Davidson and Bud Light every 30 seconds.

The company is a fucking joke. 

• Paid Members

Was that their reasoning, a cleaner look? Barmy. It looks no different now, except everyone's wearing the same shit.

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about the banners or that there were too many sponsors on fighters' walkout shirts or shorts.

• Paid Members

Apart from a few questionable sponsors that raised some comments (Condom depot) I thought it was just accepted that UFC's only issue with sponsorship was that they weren't getting any of it, nothing to do with the banners or shorts.

I know the deal means they can't wear anything branded on fight week but how does it affect filming for Countdown shows or other official documentaries. Are they going to be blurring the shit out of every other sponsor in their gyms?

Chris Weidman went into the first Anderson Silva fight on like 20,000 and the last fight on his contract, turned down all renewal offers and he obviously won and is now in $500,000 plus PPV % range, now that takes some balls.

Sean Sherk did the same thing when he fought Matt Hughes, he lost and the UFC cut him but that was in like 2002 when they were holding 5 cards a year.

Kevin Iole speculated that they might be trying to get a ESPN deal when the Fox deal runs out in a few years and looking for a cleaner look.

Fox & ABC/ESPN share many rights in the US, even though they are rivals.

I would assume the drab colours are so they can sell them in mass production, if they had loads of styles u might only sell a handful of certain items worldwide, which would be a huge money loser for Reebok.

Kevin Iole speculated that they might be trying to get a ESPN deal when the Fox deal runs out in a few years and looking for a cleaner look.

Fox & ABC/ESPN share many rights in the US, even though they are rivals.

I would assume the drab colours are so they can sell them in mass production, if they had loads of styles u might only sell a handful of certain items worldwide, which would be a huge money loser for Reebok.

If it's a cleaner look they want they may want to start by getting rid of the hideous Monster energy drink logo from the octagon.

Monster Energy are the second biggest energy drink on the planet behind Red Bull, It might not look great but they are a pretty mainstream brand.

X-Box is one of the biggest gaming platforms in the world, created by one of the biggest companies in the world, full stop. 

Will Demetrious Johnson be able to carry that sponsor over into the new Reebok era? Or is it a case of the UFC being happy to allow outside sponsors so long as all of the cash flows into the Fertitta's bank account?

DJ went to X Box and asked to be sponsored because he's a big gaming fan, his contract was probably cheap enough they said yes, since they haven't shown any interest in any other (much more marketable) fighter suggests they don't give a shit.

DJ will be able to wear X Box outside UFC events but u won't see him in any magazines or adverts because no one will give a shit but you will probably see Jose Aldo in magazines promoting Venom gear, he just won't be able to wear it while at UFC events.

Archived