UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I finished work early today so I rewatched the main card.

Fuck me it really is my favourite card ever, I think. Never has an MMA card delivered in both fight quality and results going how I wanted them too like this one did. It was pretty much perfect.

Yeah, most of the prelims were shit but once Matt Brown vs Tim Means started everything from that point on was amazing. I can't see any way we won't be voting UFC 189 as 'MMA Event Of The Year' in the UKFF Awards this year. It's going to be a landslide. Surely nothing in the next five months can top it? It'd be great if something did but I can't see how.

Oh and Bermudez vs Stephens was a fucking killer fight. On any other card that's your FOTN. Easy. They must've been so pissed off when Lawler and MacDonald went out there and had the FOTY.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know it's meaningless now because Dana said it'll be in Vegas, but Jose Aldo would be up for the McGregor fight being in Ireland...

"This was one of the biggest fights in the history, and we had all the promotion, everything that was needed. I've never been through something like this, especially for a fight that everybody wanted to see. This fight would bring a lot of money. [ireland] would be great, I don't see any problem with that. They can say whatever they want. If they don't say it in Portuguese, I won't understand a word, so I don't care."

I wish they'd find a way to move this fight to Croke Park. As massive as McGregor vs Mendes (and by extension, that whole show) felt, doing the Aldo fight in a stadium (which means more anyway as Aldo is still the 'real' champ) this would dwarf even that in terms of crowd size and atmosphere. With all the little production touches they added for 189, just imagine what they could do with a huge stadium?

I get why they're saying 'do Aldo vs McGregor in Vegas, do the rematch in Ireland' but what if there's no rematch. Look how long it's taking this fight to actually happen. Say they have a mental Lawler-MacDonald style five round war and McGregor stops him in the fifth. The rematch makes sense then given Aldo's reign as champ. But just say Aldo blows him away. They can't very well then still do an immediate rematch can they? Then there goes the big Croke Park rematch. Why wait for a rematch that might never happen? Just book Croke Park now. So what it'll be cold? I don't think the Irish crowd will give a shit or even really notice. If you've got a chance to do a WrestleMania III crowd with a massive fight like this, I don't get why you'd wait. And I have no doubts they'd fill the place. I used to doubt it, not anymore.

Just do it now, I say. That way if somehow Aldo wrecks McGregor and he never gets this big again (not saying that's likely but it's possible), at least we (and the UFC) already got the big stadium fight out of it.

They won't though :(

Edit - Cowboys Stadium? Sweet! Still rather Croke Park but Cowboys Stadium will still be better than Vegas. This fight needs a stadium one way or the other. Vince McMahon didn't stick Hogan vs Andre in the Manhattan Centre for a reason. Aldo vs McGregor has outgrown the MGM Grand at this point.

Yeah, it is the best MMA show ever.

My previous favourite was Pride Final Conflict 2006 (the US PPV version. UFC 189 out-strips it because of emotional attachment. As invested as I was in seeing Barnett win the Open Weight GP, it does not compare to how much I wanted McGregor to beat Mendes.

The spectacle of UFC 189 was on another level as well. The atmosphere was electric.

Wand - To much written by you to quote it without it being a ball ache on the page but I agree with everything you've said.

This talk of the Dallas stadium seems a bit odd to me, I get that it's a brand new arena and its huge and what not but if your taking it out of Vegas why aren't you doing it in Ireland or Brazil? Somewhere that actually has any relevant significance to the two main events. Dallas is completely irrelevant to either fighter unless I'm missing something and other than being able to draw a big gate which although I need to fact check, I'm certain wouldn't be of massive difference from running the event in Croke Park or Brazil.

Edit: 3000 seat difference between Croke Park and AT&T stadium with Dallas having the extra capacity.

• Paid Members

The wrestling fan in me hopes that, if it does go down in Cowboys stadium, UFC will book Cerrone/Nurmagomedov for it too.

• Paid Members

Good shout. Got to book Cowboy on the Cowboys Stadium card, haven't you?

If the fight does end up in Dallas, how long do you reckon before McGregor controversially predicts his fight with Aldo to look like the Kennedy assassination? You know it's coming. I'm guessing, first press conference.

• Paid Members

Good shout. Got to book Cowboy on the Cowboys Stadium card, haven't you?

If the fight does end up in Dallas, how long do you reckon before McGregor controversially predicts his fight with Aldo to look like the Kennedy assassination? You know it's coming. I'm guessing, first press conference.

Especially if it's against a Russian who's claiming to be the real cowboy.

I reckon CMcG is going to call it the "JFKO".

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani just tweeted that interview he did with Conor before last year's Dublin show, exactly one year ago to the day. It's absolutely fascinating watching it back, with Conor talking about he plans on beating up Poirier and Mendes on his way to the gold. He planned to be champion by the end of the year, and whilst it took him a little longer than that, it wasn't by much!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/17/5912043/a-day-in-dublin-with-conor-mcgregor

Incredible.

EDIT: Speaking of Ariel, I really liked the idea he came up with on yesterday's MMA Beat podcast. If the plan is to do McGregor vs. Aldo at the end of the year, and they want to make it their biggest show of all time, the timing is perfect to put CM Punk on the undercard. He's the perfect guy to have in the opener or the second fight of the night and the intrigue from wrestling fans will go a long way towards helping them hit that million buys. Ideally, they could stick a Fedor fight on there, too.

• Paid Members

Yeah adding Punk's debut to that card is a no brainer. It all lines up perfectly timing-wise, with word this week being that they're targeting a December debut for Punk anyway.

I still don't think the Fedor thing will happen but if it did...

Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor - Featherweight Title

Chris Weidman vs Luke Rockhold - Middleweight Title

Fedor Emelianenko vs Mirko Cro Cop 2

CM Punk's debut

That's some PPV. A monster.

• Paid Members

Was just watching the MMA beat and came in here specifically to mention the CM Punk thing. It's a perfect fit. Conor/Aldo is big enough to take a little pressure off Punk incase that goes sour and it seems the ideal scenario to fill that place up.

• Paid Members

Don't know if anyone even noticed but Mike Swick has announced his retirement. Bit sad really. For an exciting fighter he sure went out on a whimper. But he's seemed so injury prone these last few years it must be hell for him trying to get through training camps.

There was an interview with Brad Pickett on Beyond The Octagon this week as well and he seemed to be strongly leaning towards retiring as well. They were saying he might have one last fight in the UK and call it a day. Pickett vs Lineker would be my pick. Regardless of the result of Lineker vs Rivera. Guaranteed corker.

• Paid Members

Ahhh yeh sad that Swick went out like that. The comeback was probably ill-advised, fighters always wanna seem to have one last go though.

Swick has his moments, its a shame he never did more broadcasting type stuff. He used to host an old webseries thing on UFC.tv he was good at it too.

Archived