UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DJ went to X Box and asked to be sponsored because he's a big gaming fan, his contract was probably cheap enough they said yes, since they haven't shown any interest in any other (much more marketable) fighter suggests they don't give a shit.

DJ will be able to wear X Box outside UFC events but u won't see him in any magazines or adverts because no one will give a shit but you will probably see Jose Aldo in magazines promoting Venom gear, he just won't be able to wear it while at UFC events.

Which is a lot of shite to be fair. If the company themselves are paying main event fighters $12,000 they should be letting them work their own sponsors. Either pay them fairly or let them get sponsors.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fedor Emilianenko was making $10,000 a fight in Pride as champ, up until he left and fought for Inoki, He wasn't getting any fight sponsors, sure held him back.

Some fighters lost money like Brendon Scaub but he had a very good agent, Jorge Masvidal is making more and Donald Cerone hasn't lost any sponsors, everybody isn't losing money some are.

There really should be a tiered bonus system where a fighter ends up on the card, on top of their flat rate contract.

For all we know, there is. If Duffee got paid more for headlining it would have come as a discretionary bonus, which they don't make public. Actually I don't think UFC even makes the salaries public. It's certain state commissions that do that. 

• Paid Members

Rogan summed it up well on one of his podcasts when he said, while the UFC clearly see this as a long term plan where the money keeps going up, right now it's just not a good model, and they maybe should have looked at another way of doing this so the fighters aren't losing out, or not bothered.

One way of getting around it, if the Reebok deal matters to the brand and UFC truly care about their fighters, is pay the bloody fighters more coin. There would be far less negative press if they gave an extra percentage to the fighters.

I still say besides PPVS and Fox cards they should cut the number of fighters per card, there is no reason for a fight card in Ohio on a Wednesday night to have 13 fights.

They don't need to cut the number of events just the number of fights, PBC in Boxing will host about 60 cards this year on big networks, that's not counting PPV, HBO, Showtime and cards from around the world but they are like 4-6 fights on a PBC card.

Take two fights off a card and your saving atleast $53,000 $8,000 to show is the bottom rate, double if you win and $2,500 sponsorship for new guys.

Fedor Emilianenko was making $10,000 a fight in Pride as champ, up until he left and fought for Inoki, He wasn't getting any fight sponsors, sure held him back

I find that hard to believe.

That might have been the amount disclosed, but I would wager Fedor was getting some extra cash under the table. 

• Paid Members

I still say besides PPVS and Fox cards they should cut the number of fighters per card, there is no reason for a fight card in Ohio on a Wednesday night to have 13 fights.

They don't need to cut the number of events just the number of fights, PBC in Boxing will host about 60 cards this year on big networks, that's not counting PPV, HBO, Showtime and cards from around the world but they are like 4-6 fights on a PBC card.

Yeh the amount of fights on a card is a strange one. Problem with MMA is if you put like 5-6 fights on a card and they all ended quickly you've got people paying lots of money for very little. Boxing doesn't really have that issue.

Ive mentioned it on here before but once the UFC found platforms to host their entire shows it felt like a great idea but it is too much, 13 fights winds up taking like 6-7 hours to watch. Remember when the UFC offered the main card, then gave two sort of 'sneak peak' prelims for free on Spike TV? That was the perfect formula for me from a TV perspective.

Of course, no one is forced to watch the entire thing and there really is no need too, but there's been that completist view carried over from a few years back when people were craving more so when the UFC would say, put on 1 show per month the fans couldn't get enough of it.

Anyway's, i went off the point...

As for the money its costing per card...how much are the lower tier/prelim fighters earning on a PBC (or any TV show) boxing card? Id wager it's lower than what the UFC is paying. It never really seems to get questioned in boxing though. The disparity between the top end guys compared to the low end guys in boxing is even wider than in the UFC.

• Paid Members

Ive mentioned it on here before but once the UFC found platforms to host their entire shows it felt like a great idea but it is too much, 13 fights winds up taking like 6-7 hours to watch. Remember when the UFC offered the main card, then gave two sort of 'sneak peak' prelims for free on Spike TV? That was the perfect formula for me from a TV perspective.

Yeah that was a nice balance. Then they'd squeeze in any more if fights on the main card ended quickly too.

I think another problem though, is the quality of fight you get on the prelims generally feels like it's gone down a bit since then. Am I alone on this? Of course, now and then you'll get something good-great on the prelims but a lot of times it looks like low level stuff between guys that don't have much experience or the UFC haven't promoted at all, and the fights nearly always seem to go the distance.

People might say 'that's because you're spoiled now with all the fights'. It's really not. I find oftentimes the gulf in quality between the prelims and the main cards is quite glaring these days. The main cards have largely remained top drawer since the UFC expanded and put on more shows but the undercards are where they're sticking all the dead wood.

It never used to be like that. You'd get a couple of fights like that right at the very bottom of the prelims but the top of the prelims would be good stuff. A lot of times it was main card worthy or even better than some of the main card and we'd be praying it made the air. Back in 2008-2010 you had guys like Jon Jones (when he was still climbing), Stephan Bonnar, Miguel Torres etc at the top of PPV prelims. Even Fight Night prelims you'd get more names you recognised on the undercards than you do now. Not saying you don't get that sometimes now, but it feels like it's less the case to me.

Again, I'm not saying there isn't still good stuff on the prelims now. And you still get quality newcomers pop up on undercards amongst the sea of dross. Thomas Almeida, Brian Ortega, Joe Duffy...these are exciting prospects with bags of potential. They still stand out. But it's harder for fighters like that to stand out now because the good-shit ratio on undercards has got worse since the boom period of 08-10.

The shit thing is they can't scale back now either. They're committed too deep with FOX and multiple big TV stations worldwide. They are obligated to meet their demands now.

As the Tupac song said - "That's just the way it is. Things will never be the same."

Short version...

Basically, it used to feel like the prelims were just what they couldn't fit on the main card. Now the prelims feel like random pointless fights they're rushing together to fill the required number of slots on a card and fill time for their TV.

Back in 2009 I'd have creamed my pants if you told me we'd be able to watch all the prelims in the future. It's just a shame that right when they started letting us watch the prelims, they then started putting on so many shows their prelims got watered down.

To close on a positive. We still generally get the same amount of great fights each year. After a slow start in 2015, this Spring/Summer has been incredible so far. They've knocked it out the park since UFC 187 in May. So we're still getting our fix. We now just have to sift through more shite than we used to to find the good stuff.

• Paid Members

I dont necessarily agree about the quality dipping, i think the standard of MMA is higher across the board. It's more a case of constantly seeing fights set up between two guy you've never heard of. I have no problem with it further down the card though, the UFC has its very own little proving ground now where they weed out the guys that shouldn't be there. It might not be the most appealing thing to the viewer but its what the prelims are there for really. As long as they aint short changing us maincard-wise (and i dont think they are), im happy.

Archived