UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't know if anyone even noticed but Mike Swick has announced his retirement. Bit sad really. 

You seen the lifestyle he lives in Thailand now? Ain't nothing sad about it. He came back to try and promote his gym out there a bit, and it probably worked to an extent.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You know what I mean though. I'm sure losing a dull decision to Alex Garcia wasn't the way Swick wanted his career to end. Even if he lost but it was a FOTN type thing I'm sure he'd be happier with that than the way it played out. And if he was that happy with his lifestyle away from the cage it begs the question why does he even bother keep making these comebacks given his laundry list of injuries and layoffs? It's a bit of a shit end to his MMA career, regardless of his quality of life away from the sport.

Still, at least he's recognised it's over while he's still got all his marbles. Better than being delusional and repeatedly going in there a shell of what he was like so many do.

• Paid Members

don't really, it's probably that age old thing of fighters never losing the desire to compete. Swick was probably in a position where he was told to call the UFC when he felt he was ready.

• Paid Members

There was an interview with Brad Pickett on Beyond The Octagon this week as well and he seemed to be strongly leaning towards retiring as well. They were saying he might have one last fight in the UK and call it a day. Pickett vs Lineker would be my pick. Regardless of the result of Lineker vs Rivera. Guaranteed corker.

After his loss a few days back (lost track of which show was which - there's been so many in quick succession!), I'm sure I heard him say something like "what do I do now?". 1-2 at flyweight, so he moved back up and lost again. Must be a real blow.

Any news on the PPV numbers yet?

Meltzer estimated anyway between 700k and 1.1 Million buys. 

For the standards of the time, that is outstanding, and perhaps establishes McGregor as MMA's number 1 PPV draw. If it does over 800k, it will outdo Jones vs Cormier. 

And to think there were people (not on this forum, obviously) who were talking about this event outdoing the 1.6 million that Lesnar did, or even outdoing the Mayweather/Manny PPV numbers.

Anything over 700,000 is a decent number in today's climate, that's for sure.

• Paid Members

And to think there were people (not on this forum, obviously) who were talking about this event outdoing the 1.6 million that Lesnar did, or even outdoing the Mayweather/Manny PPV numbers.

Anything over 700,000 is a decent number in today's climate, that's for sure.

True, but even on here the more optimistic estimates were made on the basis that it would be McGregor vs. Aldo.

Just came here to post that. 

For the standards of the time, that is an exceptional buyrate. Not even Anderson vs Chael 2 did over a million buys. Neither did GSP vs BJ Penn 2, which occurred during the UFC's boom period. Both Floyd and Manny have struggled to top a million buys in some of their recent fights. McGregor is drawing big when the UFC brand is pretty weak. 

If this carries on, it's entirely possible that McGregor will become the biggest star in UFC history. Results inside the Octagon will heavily dictate how far he goes, but in terms of self-promotion, the man can't miss. He has it all.

• Paid Members

If this show did a million buys then that's got to be the most impressive number they've ever done. Sure, it didn't beat UFC 100, but when you consider this was a show where the main event fell apart two weeks out, with a replacement opponent, for an interim title, in a division that nobody gave a flying fuck about before, a million buys is absolutely phenomenal.

• Paid Members

Not to shit in anyone's cereal, this info is from the UFC's biography section for Conor Mcgregor and hasn't been confirmed from other sources.

Whilst I know its hard to see why someone who writes the biographies for the UFC's website would lie, it would be more believable coming from Dana's mouth or other sources who gain access to the info. I'm sure Dana will be shouting this info from the tree tops this weekend.

However, if it is true, its an incredible achievement and would cement McGregor as the new king of mma.

Archived