#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

they re heat rice which confuses me, i thought that was a big no no? 

Reheating rice is mandatory. Like, properly chilling it then reheating it. Not reheating it can give you horrendous diarrhoea.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Maybe a thread is needed for quick, lazy meals that can be knocked up in under 5 mins, or perhaps one for strange food creations? 

That's appropriate for the Cookery Thread.

• Paid Members

Radio 4 now apparently being commissioned by Punkstep.

I've recently been  finding a way to improve the humble baked bean. Before putting it in the microwave (the only correct way to cook them), cutting 3/4 big cubes of cheese and putting them in. Still oozes through the beans like grated, but with that advantage hat you occasionally get some massive chunks of semi melted cheddar. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I've recently been  finding a way to improve the humble baked bean. Before putting it in the microwave (the only correct way to cook them), cutting 3/4 big cubes of cheese and putting them in. Still oozes through the beans like grated, but with that advantage hat you occasionally get some massive chunks of semi melted cheddar. 

Yes to in the microwave and yes to cheese.

In fact the only way to eat a jacket potato is with the triple combo of Beans, Cheese and Tuna. 

• Paid Members

I wouldn't put tuna in beans, but cheese is definitely a yes. Also, I would put in pieces of frankfurter (although, really, best to just buy the beans with franks in a tin and then add the cheese).

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I wouldn't put tuna in beans, but cheese is definitely a yes. Also, I would put in pieces of frankfurter (although, really, best to just buy the beans with franks in a tin and then add the cheese).

Tuna and beans works surprisingly well. But I also think Chicken and Tuna on a Pizza is a completely reasonable combo

• Paid Members

Just remembered another combo: Heinz mac & cheese with chunks of ham. By itself the mac & cheese tastes a bit plasticky, but the ham, especially if it's fatty, gives it a pretty good flavour.

• Paid Members

I'm not a big mac and cheese fan. Much like the beans, I maintain the optimum cheese experience is big cubes of cheddar in whatever pasta you do.Grating is alright, but I think it dilutes the cheese flavour. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I'm not a big mac and cheese fan. Much like the beans, I maintain the optimum cheese experience is big cubes of cheddar in whatever pasta you do.Grating is alright, but I think it dilutes the cheese flavour. 

I used to buy the cheap Mac & cheese packets and add greated cheese to the mix in the pan. When it was cooked I'd put it it a dish with thick sliced cheese layers ever 1/3 or 1/4 I poured in. Then top with more slices and under the grill. 

Crisp cheese top and masses of thick melted cheeder in with the cheese sauce. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, you're right. It's a quantity thing really. No point pissing about with cheese, you'll just end up being disappointed. I've seen people put an absolute dribble of cheddar on cheese on toast before and you just think 'what is the point?'.  

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Yeah, you're right. It's a quantity thing really. No point pissing about with cheese, you'll just end up being disappointed. I've seen people put an absolute dribble of cheddar on cheese on toast before and you just think 'what is the point?'.  

I once went to a beer festival where the cheese sandwiches for sale were a single cheese slice on a cob. 

It's a wonder there wasn't a peasants revolt. 

Have you ever tried stilton melted on a steak? Even better chop the left over of a beef joint (the bit too small to do another full meal) into very small thin bits and melt cheddar and stilton over it and put it between bread. 

Edited by Tommy!