Dressing up as KISS (and other things)

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Inspired by the news that a new range of KISS replica outfits are soon to become available.

What's been your proudest achievement in fancy dress? Do you put a load of effort in, or do you just throw something together and think 'that'll do'? Are you one of those cosplay type who spends hours and hours making stuff, or are you a full-blown reenactor type, whether it's historical or 501st Legion or a Ghostbuster or whatever? Are you a Halloween costumer, or a fancy dress party type? Stag nights, hen nights, general nights out? Do you generally go as a wrestler?

I'm crap at dressing up. I put the effort in for a friend's 18th, which was 80s themed, and went as Slash, and no fucker else except one other person even bothered. Luckily, the one other person was Axl Rose so it worked out okay, but it's given me a fear of putting the effort in again, because what if I do and nobody else does? We went to a Harry Potter themed party a year or so ago and I just changed my glasses and went as 'Harry when he's on the run in the seventh film wearing regular clothes'. A friend did a comic book themed night out a couple of years ago, and I ended up just sticking a suit and a fake moustache on and going as Commissioner Gordon. If I did a wrestling themed one I'd like to think I'd buy a fatsuit and be Paul Bearer, but I know I'd just end up as one of Right To Censor.

I'd like to go all out with a costume party one day, I just need to get over the fear.

So, with that said, share your fancy dress and costume stories! Embarrassing, triumphant or anything in between.

And finally, which member of KISS would you be at UKFF KISS Costume Party? I'd definitely go as Ace.

• Paid Members

Last year for Halloween I dressed up as Spider-Man. Bought a costume off eBay and managed to squeeze myself into it.

The year before I dressed as Sting. I’m alright artistically so was able to do the face paint justice, although painting your own face in a mirror is pretty tricky! Unfortunately I didn’t put much effort in the “costume” part: Sting t-shirt and jogging bottoms. I guess I was going for the latter day TNA run look! I did also manage to stumble across a kid’s, black, plastic baseball bat a couple of days before as well to complete it.

• Paid Members

I'm not really into it at all, but it's all about the occasion and the company. I think I've only done fancy dress once as an adult and that was for a stag do. It was in Dublin and it was Halloween weekend, so the whole of Temple Bar was crawling with fancy dressers. Wanting to impress the boys I put a lot of effort in and went to town on a Michael Jackson outfit (Wacko Jacko era). It was like being a fucking celebrity out in Dublin that night, I had people stopping me for photos everywhere I went, even bumped into another MJ (Bo Selecta!). We went into one bar where there happened to be a fancy dress competition happening and without me even doing anything a DJ called Michael Jackson as well as a few other characters up to the booth where I was handed an envelope. I figured I'd won a free drink or something, but opened it up and found about 100 Euros in there! Couldn't believe it.

I've dressed as Gene Simmons on Halloween once and as Paul Stanley when I went to see KISS live. I'd go as Vinnie Vincent just to confuse the fuck out of people.

I used to put a bit of effort into fancy dress at Halloween. I bought blonde hair extensions and shaved down to a handlebar moustache for my Hulk Hogan costume one year, I believe the second of 3 consecutive years of dressing as the Hulkster. The first year I had long hair and used a fake tash, the third year I was a lazy bastard and put the fake tash over my actual beard. Looked a bit like Hollywood Hogan mind. I was Paul Stanley the next year, and the year after that I put together a makeshift (surprisingly decent) Gambit from X-Men costume, which later got reused for a superhero fancy dress night. Pretty sure the next year was Snake Plissken, and the following year put some effort into a Charmander costume as part of a group Pokemon theme.

I got really lazy after that, deciding that buying a dressing gown and wearing shorts would make me The Dude (which actually worked really well), or last year I wore my long coat and turned the hat I often wear backwards to become Silent Bob. This year I'll probably be really lazy and dress as a hipster, since unfortunately beards and glasses became 'in' long after I hit puberty, which is when my face got hairy and my eyesight started going (maybe no coincidence there), all I'd have to do is wear a flannel shirt, slick back my hair and be a cunt for the night.

• Paid Members

As a small child, I had to dress as my favourite character from a book at school. So I donned grey trousers, a primrose shirt, a camp little black overcoat and a plastic top hat, and went as The Fat Controller. I got away with it too, as "The Railways Stories" by the Reverand W Awdry count as books. It wasn't just that I wanted to dress up as the fat bloke from Tommy Tank Engine instead of finding any other book to read.

• Paid Members

Probably slightly imagine heavy but I absolutely love fancy dress. I completely understand why it can be the bane of some people's life in terms of mates having themes for birthdays, Halloween etc but I find it gives me a chance to just be creative and always really put my all into something. Among the ones below is my Marge Simpson for my 22nd Birthday where everybody had to be something with an S in the name, dressing as an Elf at my work Christmas Party by way of being the smallest male meber of staff, dead Slash for Halloween in 2013 and Blastoise for a friends birthday in anything beginning with a B.

I'm always more disappointed I don't get more photos on nights out, as there's been Leprechauns, Russell Brand, The Crow and Pikachu to name but a few other, as well as the customary Toga parties and Pub Golf sessions.

Its probably my favourite part of uni in fairness. Just a chance to have a laugh without causing too much harm or disruption to anybody.

ASigSts.jpg?1khA7mB1.jpg?1cUTLL8R.jpg?1

2UXA1tC.jpg?1

I used to be able to get away with the easiest fancy dress costume ever; just throw on a pair of sunglasses, wear my dressing gown and roll a fat joint - instant "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski. It's the main thing I miss about having long hair.

• Paid Members

What's been your proudest achievement in fancy dress? 

I've told this story on here before, got a tear in my eye just thinking about it.

So picture the scene, a 14 year old Matrix preparing for the fancy dress disco at the East Community Centre excited to unveil my Terminator costume to the world, I mean we're talking serious attention to detail.  

Temporary flat top, check

Toy Uzi 9mm, check.  

Fake blood in all the right places, check.

T-shirt with bullet holes cut out worn over a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil so the exo skeleton showed through, check

Piece of tin foil attached to 50% of my face with latex, check.

The piece de resistance, a small red LED light attached to the inside of my sunglasses with sellotape and connected to a battery concealed in the inside pocket of my leather jacket.  CHECK.

I mean, I looked the fucking business.  Seriously.

I strutted up to the front to join my fellow entrants with all the swagger you'd expect, oozing coolness and machismo before coming second to some cunt who'd wrapped a scarf around his face claiming to have gone as a 'burglar'.

This is why the British public shouldn't be allowed to vote for anything, much less who runs the country.

I'm not into fancy dress at all. It just doesn't bring me any joy or do anything, so why bother spending money on it? I don't have a problem with others doing it, as long as they don't insist on me doing it. Although this has led to instances where women have wanted to get me into a costume which I suspect would be good flirting opportunities if I could be bothered to wear a costume, which I can't.

I went as a pre transformation werewolf to a party once. Somebody told me I should have had fake fur underneath my shirt so I think I managed to get away with that one. I've also had someone try to dress me up as a librarian, which, when you consider that I am a librarian should have probably been more successful for them than it was.

• Paid Members

My dear old Mum once dressed me up as a great Beetlejuice for the school disco. The night ended with the lovely Tina crushing my heart when she danced with a bigger boy during the slow dance. I spent the remainder of the night sitting in the corner, bitterly sipping on a Highland Brew.

Archived