NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

I do love how people think of Japan as being a flippy, headdropping, movez kinda place, yet Okada's finisher is the same move that Jake "Less Is More" Roberts only used as a set-up.

And one of his most over moves which frequently can turn the tide of the match - and people believe it - is a DROPKICK.

• Paid Members

Today at lunch on New Japan World I finally got around to watching AJ Styles vs Hiroshi Tanahashi from KING OF PRO-WRESTLING at Sumo Hall.

The bulk of the match was everything you'd expect from these two guys who for last year were two of the world's finest. There were some moments where I sensed a little doubt from AJ that he didn't think he could beat Tana but that evaporated when (hello, folks) Double J got involved. Some purists will be upset that there was a liberal dose of outside interference in an IWGP Heavyweight title match but I think it was fitting that since the match where AJ won the title had a Sports Entertainment finish, that there would be shenanigans in the match where he lost it.

Tana hit his usually foolproof combination of a High Fly Flow to the back then a standard one, but Jarrett pulled the referee out. AJ regained the advantage off a Pele and got a nearfall off the Bloody Sunday. Jarrett tried to sneak in with his guitar but was chased off by a returning Yoshi Tatsu/Naofumi Yamamoto. AJ lamped Tanahashi with a kneeling traditional piledriver (as opposed to sitout) then went for the Superman (springboard 450) but Hash got his knees up, and then they did a brilliant tease for the end when Tanahashi went for the High Fly Flow again but AJ got his knees up. Styles went for a Super Styles Clash but Tanahashi escaped then tossed him off (hehe). The challenger went back up top and AJ tried to avoid contact by running into the corner but Tana flattened him with the crossbody variant of the High Fly Flow then followed with a regular one for a decisive 1-2-3. The match was excellent but the finish needs special note for being a great blend of New Japan style action with a dose of North American style storytelling and I thought the way it was built with the moves executed and attempted was superb. Styles really knows how to move through the gears and going for broke with first the Superman and then the middle rope Styles Clash underlined how desperate he was to put it to bed. Tana was his usual consistently excellent self. Tremendous match.

Hey, I am planning on making a commercial/video for the World Garage, I have seen Kaizeras and thought they were awesome. So I thought Id give it a try.

If you are interested in being in the video, post or email me at emailprotected/ / a video of you driving in NFS. Thanks, bye.

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo for around September/October this year and would love to catch some NJPW while I'm over there. Looks like they have their King of Pro Wrestling events in October in Tokyo, does anybody have any idea when they will announce the event and when tickets would go on sale?

• Paid Members
Events rarely sellout in Japan

That's not true. Well, it's broadly true across the industry and true in some towns of New Japan but they always sell out Korakuen and Ryogoku/Sumo Hall. They didn't touch the sides at the Seibu Dome but they sell every ticket they have at those two venues and are always standing room only on the day. Having said that, you'd probably be OK rocking up to the New Japan shop (a short walk from Dome City) a few days before the show and getting a ticket.

Out of curiosity how much do New Japan live events tend to cost?

If memory serves, cheapest tickets for a big end of tour show/PPV are Y4000 (currently about £23) then Y5000 (about £28) and upwards, although I never bought anything costlier than "san-sen-yen chiketto, ni-mae" / 2 x Y5000 tickets.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

First episode of the New Japan show in the States, which is mostly Tana/Okada from Wrestle Kingdom 7. Josh Barnett is an interesting (and relevant) choice for commentary.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5cvBXOcXAEhK39SsUi

A bit ramdon this but hiroshi tanahashi always does a hand gesture, like index finger up,middle finger sticking out.

Why does he do this? Does it mean anything?

His finger is gesturing the "1" in his "1/100" gimmick/image (i.e. a talent like his only comes once in 100 years) that you can see in his entrance video, on his kneepads etc.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Watched it today, along with the first FantasticaMania show. The AXS show is a Good Show. I didn't care much for the announcing but didn't hate it, and it's preferable to non-English voices. The match was good, though not a patch on their contest from two weeks ago. I will continue to watch with interest.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thoughts on FantasticaMania, 1/13/15, Korakuen Hall

* Rey Cometa & Triton vs Barbaro Cavernario & Mr Niebla: The New Japan staff are all wearing tour t-shirts. They say WONDERLAND OF LUCHA MEXICO on the back. I would kill your dog for one of those. First match of the tour and poor old Triton gets his knee fucked up by a splash from that fat mess Mr Niebla. Then he fucks up a dive and does more damage. Then, while he's having treatment at ringside, Mr Niebla falls out of the ring and onto Triton's bad leg. Sucks to be Triton.

* OKUMURA vs Angel De Oro: The second match is better, partly because both participants have two working knees, and partly because Mr Niebla isn't in it. Mostly, though, because Okumura is practically a luchador. This is the first time I've seen Angel de Oro. He's alright in a has-all-the-lucha-fundamentals way. There is a lady commentator. She is dressed as a pink cat. *Shrug*

* Jushin “Thunder” Liger & Mistico vs Gedo & Polvora: The third match was fun. It was all stalling and rudo dirtiness. Gedo looked like he was having a right laugh. Polvora isn't very good. Liger must be ancient by now. This Mistico is like any other. Weird seeing a New Japan show in such a small hall in daylight. The basketball hoops on the walls are jarring.

* Stuka Jr, Tiger Mask & Stigma vs YOSHI-HASHI, Shinsuke Nakamura & Mephisto: The technicos come out to Van Halen. Boss. Stuka Jr's mask is the cockpit of a plane. How is Tiger Mask IV still Tiger Mask? Nakamura is great: I'd always wondered what a Michael Jackson would have been like if he was a Japanese pro-wrestler. Stuka Jr wins EVERYTHING by being fat but wearing a t-shirt with himself RIPPED on it. The rudos just tore Stuka Jr's tights off. That's a new one on me. That was a ton of fun. Best match by far so far. Stuka Jr is my new favourite luchador.

* Tesuya Naito, Ryusuke Taguchi & La Sombra vs KUSHIDA, Captain New Japan & Mascara Dorada: Taguchi comes to the ring dressed as Tutenkhamun. Because why wouldn't you? Captain New Japan is Captain CMLL for this :). Taguchi is wrestling in his Pharoah mask. Naito has a hood on, too. Of course he does.Captain CMLL just stole Taguchi's mask, put it on, and then did Taguchi's bum attack. Gold. La Sombra is all kinds of ace. KUSHIDA is cool, too. Am I becoming a New Japan fan? WTF? This is a Good Show so far.

* Atlantis, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Volador Jr vs Kazuchika Okada, Gran Guerrero & Ultimo Guerrero: Ultimo Guerrero is wearing his mask. That's all kinds of wrong. Especially against Atlantis, who apuesta'd it. This also means that Ultimo and Gran Guerrero look identical. Apparently Gran is shit, though. Hopefully that helps. Volador Jr has come dressed as the Punisher. With a sponsor on the back of his suit. Confusing feelings. Okada's supposed to be working lucha-style but still throws elbows when he should throw slaps. Good lad. And now The Rainmaker just did four comedy spots in a row. Gold. Haha, Atlantis just ripped off Ultimo Guerrero's mask. It should be a DQ but the ref's just gone *shrug*. Okada and Tanahashi just had a forearm war, and an uppercut battle, and then Okada hit his dropkick and Tanahashi avoided the Rainmaker. Aces. Hey, it's over! What a fun show. The first two matches are disposable - unless you like seeing a poor young lad fucked up by a fat twat - but everything after that is solid entertainment. Yay for wrestling!

Edited by Linus