NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

What're you talking about? I love Fale! Have you watched the Talkin' Shop Movie? He's so hilariously dead pan, the guy is comedy gold. (But then I am just a mark for anything Bullet Club)

Ha, this is what I wrote in my review of day 1:

Hey, things can only get better, right? Oh, fuck, it’s Bad Luck Fale. He looks like a fat Godfather. In 2015. Ugh. Tetsuya Naito, on the other hand, is pretty good. He’s spent the last month dicking around in Mexico with luchadores and then he had to come back to Bad Luck fucking Fale. Poor fella. He came down to the ring in a suit and wearing a silver skull mask. Okay.

They brawled into the crowd and Fale threw Naito into a quickly-vacated row of chairs. Fale left him lying and went back to the ring to try and get a countout win. What a terrible monster. I have this thing where I like to point out that Fale can’t even take a simple move like a drop toehold properly, but they didn’t do one in this match, Luckily for me, Naito did do a reverese Atomic Drop and Fale fucked that up. Fuck off Fale. Naito got the win with an awkward cradle. Really bad match.

• Paid Members

Quick question. Is is the point of the tournament that the winner gets a title shot at Wrestle Kingdom? If so why is the Champion Okada in the tourny? What does he gain by winning?

It always used to be but they're moving towards a full year of events so they may get the shot sooner or, of course, Okada could win but lose his title between now and January and then get the shot then.

Actually, the title shot being at Wrestle Kingdom has been a relatively new phenomenon. Traditionally the winner (if not the IWGP champ) has received his title shot almost immediately. In 2012 when Okada won (<cough> I was there <cough>) he and Gedo announced that since he'd already won the title and won a G1, all that was left for him was to be in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom, so his intention was to take the shot then. The two years since it has been explicit that the winner (if not the champion) earns the title shot for Wrestle Kingdom.

The reason Okada is in it is because the champion is always in it. It's massive. It's celebrated as a gigantic achievement and winning a G1 marks you out as a big fucking deal, to the point where, for instance, by 2011 we were shaking our heads going "Oh come on, it must be Shinsuke's year." I'm not saying every G1 winner is a legend (Naito, I'm looking at you) but the greatest of the great that have passed through the company since in the last 25 years have all won a G1. Okada's won two already, and the bragging rights for going 3/4 like Tenzan would be huge.

Bold prediction - one of two things is going to happen this year. Either they acknowledge that AJ has given New Japan enough to deserve going on last at Wrestle Kingdom - which I wouldn't have begrudged him this year, to be honest - and he wins, or Shinsuke has spent enough time making the Intercontinental title mean something and it's time for him to get back up into the title chase. He hasn't challenged for the big belt since the shot he earned by winning the G1 in 2011 (<cough> I was there <cough>). Okada vs Nakamura for the title and "I'm the real boss of Chaos" is a huge money match.

G1 Final would be an appropriate setting for the first Styles/Nakamura match, actually. Ryogoku would lose their minds for that.

• Paid Members

^^^^ Cheers, 'Raid.

Day 2 thoughts:

Nothing anywhere near as good as Tanahashi versus Ibushi, or even Chaos versus Bullet Club, from day one, but a more even show overall. There was certainly nowhere near anything as bad as the worst matches on day one. Elgin continues to impress, and there was a surprise result in there, so things look spicy.

• Paid Members

Today's show was the very definition of house show, by the numbers. Nothing left an impression, the obvious winners won the matches for the most part.

However, I was a bit disturbed at Goto busting out a top rope Yoshitonic/Code Red as a transitional move. Why the fuck do you pull that out on a B show if it isn't the finish? Or ANY show???

• Paid Members

Quick thoughts on Day 3; Ibushi/Doc was standard Bigman VS Smallman fare, AJ/Yano was surprisingly good, skipped the Togi/Fale shit, Shibata/Naito was fun but I don't like Naito's new gimmick or Shibata's slow-as-fuck finisher and Tenzan is still shite.

AND NOW DAY FOUR!!!

Another hardcam show and i'm really starting to get annoyed by these. I feel the matches don't come across as well as they should. Case in point, i never liked Okada/Elgin from Day 2 but seeing isolated clips from the match it seems pretty good. The hardcam just doesn't let the matches flow very well.

Due to this, i don't think i enjoyed Nakamura/Nagata and Honma/Okada as much as i would of if it had the standard camera set-up. Still, both matches were good with red hot finishing stretches. Ishii/Takahashi was bleh because it had Takahashi in it, Elgin/Kojima was okay (seemed like Kojima didn't give Elgin much in terms of offence though) and Goto/Anderson was much better than i thought it would be.

It seems like they are spacing themselves out for this G1 due to it's size and for that reason i can't really complain about the match consistency too much. Every card so far has had at least one match worth checking out and it's sure to get more heated as the tourney progresses.

Also, i'm not getting the Ibushi hate around these parts. It disturbs me.

Edited by Accident Prone

Day 3, Friday, July 24: Kyoto City Budokan Center: BLOCK A matches:

Samurai TV, but NO COMMENTARY! Holy fuck, NJPWWorld are really testing the patience here. Sound quality is also appalling, like an mp3 you got off lime wire ten years ago.

Match titles link directly to NJPWWorld matches.

150724_kak_g1_other_pict02.JPG

Ibushi started no selling Gallows brawling after about 20secs. Doc helps him do a flippy do. Gallows with a big neck slam off apron to floor. Doc beat the snot out of him until Ibushi did a new move-a moonsault to the floor! Only messing, HE DOES IT EVERY MATCH~! Doc being extraordinarily generous lets the mini flipper give him a German suplex. Doc with one of those lift a guy up and twist him as you drop why didn't I just body slam him specials. Doc with a Goldberg jackhammer cos he talked about it on talking shop last week for da 2.5 count. Finally he tries a power bomb only for....Another clumsy awkward roll up loss like Fale to Naito on the first night. Oh dear. 1/2*

150724_kak_g1_other_pict14.JPG

Fale clubbered him for a while. Then it was Makabe's turn. I like Makabe but his corner punches look so weak for a man who normally throws so meaty. Fale with his "I'm not big enough really to use the splash" eh, splash. False hits the Bad Luck Fall/Border toss for da win. Another 1/2*

150724_kak_g1_other_pict19.JPG

Yano is such a goof he should annoy me, but he does some funny stuff. He threw a chair direct at AJ when he attempted a springboard off the guardrail. HE MIGHT BE PERMANENTLY BRAINDAMAGED-ALERT MELTZER ET AL IMMEDIATELY!! Red shoes, ever the mark for putting himself over, wouldn't count a standing flexing pin by AJ for some reason. AJ in control mostly, so he's getting rolled up for the loss for sure. AJ suplexes him into the exposed buckle for a 2.5 count. AJ into the exposed buckles twice and a Powerbomb by Yano for 2.5. He tries the foul but AJ with a Pele. Yano nutshot gets a close count, but he's Calf Sliced for the loss. Good fun. **

150724_kak_g1_other_pict32.JPG

This should be match of the night easily. Shibata is THE BEST WRESTLER IN THE WORLD- he does nothing that does't make any sense, he wants to win and will fight hard for victory, no silly moves or flips needed. Naito on the other and has adopted the gimmick of a lazy bastard (Sombra) a never was or will be (Mascara) and a vastly overrated mark (Rush!) -that's a silly move Naito! Speaking of which, Shibata makes sense by not waiting for Naito to dick about in his suit and be ungovernable by kicking his ass immediately, go Shibata! The silly move is Naito jumping off the apron to drop kick the guardrail basically. It was hyper Jeff Hardy/RVD-tastic in its ugliness. Naito further shows his ungovernableness by slowly taking off the suit to reveal...normal gear! Figure 4 by Shibata. Shibata really laid into him, and when Naito wanted to do his turnbuckle trip into a seated dropkick (is there anything worse than a seated dropkick?) Shibata just held the ropes hard and drop his feet into Naito-go real wrestler! Shibata GRAPPLED him some more before finally locking in a sleeper hold and a Penalty Kick for da win. Good man! **1/2

150724_kak_g1_main_pict05.JPG

Not too excited about this TBH! Not going to lie, spent most of the match reading Cagematch to see how many matches Leo Burke had in AJPW. These matches are kind of why I stopped watching NJPW years ago. Seen them millions of times before. Get rid of Tenzan and some new blood please. Tanahashi with a ROLL THE DICE! Reno lives! High Fly Flow for the mercyful (fate!) end. *

Another largely crap show. This cash grab of spreading out the shows is certainly not paying off quality or atmosphere wise. And cash grabs never benefit the fan.

Nakamura apparently injured, which is worrying

Only on day 3 but Ibushi/Tanahashi was incredible. The two Shibata matches also ruled. Nakamura/Karl Anderson was really good also and the only shock result to me so far (which, as a casual fan, the predictability of these match-ups is hurting this a bit), although after Gallows was made to look really average by Tenzan I'm not sure if I brought Anderson as a guy who could beat Nakamura

Don't like the format though I must admit, imo they should play a round of both blocks on one day and scrap these pointless tag matches. Have the tags build-up the day 1 matches and that's it.

other random thoughts:

- when did Naito turn heel? He gets more boos than anyone it seems

- why does Yano get to hit guys with a chair and nobody else does?

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Nakamura apparently injured, which is worrying

Only on day 3 but Ibushi/Tanahashi was incredible. The two Shibata matches also ruled. Nakamura/Karl Anderson was really good also and the only shock result to me so far (which, as a casual fan, the predictability of these match-ups is hurting this a bit), although after Gallows was made to look really average by Tenzan I'm not sure if I brought Anderson as a guy who could beat Nakamura

Don't like the format though I must admit, imo they should play a round of both blocks on one day and scrap these pointless tag matches. Have the tags build-up the day 1 matches and that's it.

other random thoughts:

- when did Naito turn heel? He gets more boos than anyone it seems

- why does Yano get to hit guys with a chair and nobody else does?

Does anybody ever have a better entrance theme than Takahashi? No.

- Anderson beating Nakamura isn't as far-fetched as you think; Anderson actually made it to the 2012 G1 Final where he was beaten by Okada. Anderson has the chops to run with the big guns (pun most definately intended).

- I actually prefer the way they are running the tournament this year. Not only are the guys getting more time to recover between big singles matches, it also means LESS wrestling for me to watch on a near daily basis. Trust me, watching 7-9 matches allmost every day, especially New Japan style matches, is not easy and gets rather tedious after a while. Trying to squeeze 3-5 hours of wrestling into most days of the week is nearly impossible so you're playing catch-up most of the time too.

With this format, i'm watching no more than four matches a day (i'm skipping all the house show tags and most matches that have the likes of Takahashi/Tenzan/Yano/Makabe in them). It's fucking glorious.

- Naito turned heel during/after his stint in Mexico. You can see those matches on New Japan World.

- He usually tries to hide things like that. Also with the G1 the refs are usually more lenient with what goes on in order to have little-to-no DQ finishes. Also, it's sort of Yano's gimmick that ref tends to let him do what he wants and then stops the opponent doing the same.

- Yes; his name his Minoru Suziki and his entrance is fucking amazing. Also, why are you watching Takahashi matches? He's awful.

Quick thoughts on Day 5; overall, the strongest day since Day 1. Didn't watch the first two tourney matches and now i've seen the massive gash on Yano's head thanks to Reddit, i don't have to go back and watch them. Styles/Ibushi was awesome, Shibata/Makabe exceeded expectations and Naito/Tanahashi was a wonderful back-and-forth contest. I still don't dig Naito's gimmick (so he's kinda lazy like Chikara's Orange Cassidy but still goes hell for leather 80% of the time? What am i missing here?).

Also...Injuries, injuries!

Yano's cut was from a super stiff headbutt was fucking massive. I think he can proberly work with it. They all had the day off after and he's in a multi-man for the next show (where he can do very, very little or even take another day off) before his next singles match against Gallows where he can just do the usual comedy routine and make it a quick ditty. His next singles after that is 02/08 main eventing against Tanahashi where hopefully he'll be in a condition to go a bit harder. I'm not the biggest Yano fan so if he goes out then it wouldn't be a huge loss to me but his match against AJ has been the suprise of the tourney thus far so i was kinda looking forward to some of his other big contests.

Nakamura being injured sucks. If they play up the injury and have Elgin beat him in quick fashion, not only will Elgin look stronger but every Nakamura match means more because a) He has an injury his opposition can use against him and B) He'll probably have to win most, if not every match after that point in order to win the block so it makes every victory a big thing. His next singles match after Elgin in 01/08 against Ishii so, in the same case of Yano, fingers crossed he heals up a bit better for it.

Day 4, Saturday, July 25: Takamatsu City Gymnasium: BLOCK B matches:

Oh for fuck's sake, ANOTHER HARD CAM SHOW!

Here's the 07/25/15 show on NJPWWorld.com.

150725_kak_g1_other_pict01.JPG

1:36:40 mark on NJPWworld;

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi:

Yujiro out with a less enticing lady than normal who literally smashes her ass off the ring. Prob did more interesting stuff than Yujiro will do in this match. A gulf divide in talent here. Yujiro's a bit like the Miz. They did some stuff outside the ring, no idea what because it was so far away from the zoomed out camera. Crowd deadly quiet. Yujiro already employing Randy Orton restholds. Some stuff happened. At the ten minute mark Yujiro hit the Dominator for 2.8. Ishii hits back with hart shots. Gu headbutt by Ishii off a nutshot attempt. 2.8 after a Sliding D. Brainbustah by Ishii for da win. Okay, but impossible to get into due to camera work. Of course once it ended the cameraman had no problem zooming around. Thanks producer! *

150725_kak_g1_other_pict09.JPG

1:53:40 mark on NJPWworld;

Satoshi Kojima vs. Michael Elgin:

This will take Kojima back to MLW days (HHH has never heard of it cos he's such a big star-anyone remember that?). Elgin does some goofy overselling. Koji cutter in first few mins. Stupid foot stomp by Elgin. He does a long suplex with squats-does this dipshit not know Honma has a similar move and he's out later? Unbelievably bad flying elbow by Kojima. Elgin slapping his thighs on kicks I'm the most indytastic way possible. Forearm exchange. DDT by Kojima on the apron, well it was supposed to be but Elgin mucked it up. Some Powerbombs and lariats before Elgin just jumped off the ropes for seemingly no other reason that to get lariated for the loss. They shook hands on such a great battle afterwards. *

150725_kak_g1_other_pict18.JPG

2:12:05 mark on NJPWworld;

Hirooki Goto vs. Karl Anderson:

Anderson hit a Powerbomb on the apron which looked five miles away. Also a Bomaye type kick. Goto hit the neckbreaker on the knee, only to eat a Gun stun while attempting a Shoten Kai for the loss. *1/2

150725_kak_g1_other_pict27.JPG

2:29:00 mark on NJPWworld;

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yuji Nagata:

I've become so frustrated with the shit presentation of this show that I've skipped Namamura's introduction for the first time in forever :(Deathly silence from the crowd, Christ when are we going to be in Osaka or Korakuen? Fuck this crowd! 5 mins in, yawn. This show is so dire. Imagine a Nagata vs. Nakamura match from the past 7 years. Bomaye and kick exchange. Nakamura wins with what looks like a super kick. Yeaoh! There you go. *

Hmm, no pictures of this match on Sportsnavi, so I'm sticking this in:

20150727-00010004-battlen-000-view.jpg

2:51:15 mark on NJPWworld;

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomoaki Honma:

Had hopes for this on paper, but lost interest by now. Some stuff happened miles away outside the ring. Honma did his cool delayed suplex that we already saw Elgin steal earlier. Headbutt to a downed Okada! Brainbustah by Honma for 2.5 and an attempted flying headbutt thwarted by a high dropkick. Heavy Rain and a neckbreaker for 2.5. Sweet flying elbow by Okada and an attempt at a Rainmaker clothesline....Thwarted by a Honma flying headbutt!!! Michinoku pile driver thing and a missed headbutt by Honma. Tombstone attempt by Okada, another Honma flying headbutt! Big German by Okada and a Rainmaker for the win! Good match with two of the best in NJPW. **1/2

Main event was good but overall I'd say AVOID THIS SHOW, AS A VIEWING EXPERIENCE WE PAID FOR-IT SUCKED!

• Paid Members

Day 3 thoughts:

Once again, the prelims are better than than the G1 matches. Maybe that's because Block A SUCKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSS

I lost the will to live during Ibushi/Gallows and actually committed suicide during Fale/Makabe. It was so bad that I was happy to see Euroboy. Think on that.

Shibata/Naito was great. Naito is such a dick and that's GREAT. Tenzan/Tanahashi was okay, and it didn't outstay its welcome.

day 5 was the best yet. Was well uncomfortable seeing Yano busted open to shit but the three matches after were all ace. Naito's heel work is excellent, even if he did spit on Tana about 9 times in the match

I think the hardcam shows are pretty much a bonus, albeit that they are slightly irritating. This seems to be the one of the longer, if not the longest G-1 & I dout if anyone's going to be knocking themselves out, figuratively speaking until they hit Tokyo (6 nights). That said, they've got; Osaka or Naito heat, Sendai & Yokohama coming up shortly too.