NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

DAY TEN

OH YES.

Best day of the tourney so far. I didn't watch Takahashi/Elgin but i'm sure it was on-par with Kobashi vs Misawa. Anyway, every match after that killed it. Kojima/Honma was great fun, Ishii/Nagata was a fucking war, Anderson/Okada (in a rematch from the G1 2012 finals) was filled with awesome sequences and Nakamura/Goto was like HBK's first match in 2002 where you are cringing at every little attack to the IRL injury. Superb stuff. I'd definately have Ishii/Nagata and Nakamura/Goto at a good position in a 'Best Matches Of The Tourney' list.

• Paid Members

DAY ELEVEN is SINGLE. FUCKING. CAMERA. I really, really hate these. Most of the card is a weird one that i would've watched if it had the full set-up but i can't be arsed to watch more Yano (he's great but only in small doses), Gallows and FUCKING FALE with just the hardcam. So all those were skipped and i'm sure they were masterpieces with loads of snowflakes.

I did watch the final two matches although my enjoyment of them was greatly reduced due to the aforementioned filiming issue. Togi/Styles was good stuff but it ended before they got into that higher gear. Ibushi/Naito was great a match but it would of been a fantastic match had it had the full production works. They also sorta botch a top-rope reverse rana which could of gone very badly. I am happy to say that Naito's schtick is rubbing off on me now and his post-match antics are great.

I'm pretty glad in a way that this show got the one-camera deal (and not, for example, yesterday's show) as the matches weren't particularly awe-inspring on paper. But still, Shibata/Yano and Gallows/Tanahashi are matches i would sit through usually but not today. Fuck you camera; you're the numer one heel coming out of this tourney.

Day 7, Wednesday, July 29: Fukuoka International Center: BLOCK A matches:

Multiple cameras but no commentary. I would subscribe to Samurai TVs new online thing- is it possible? I can't find any info on it anywhere.

Here's the 07/29/15 show on NJPWWorld.com:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_7_1

1:38:40 mark on NJPWworld;

Toru Yano vs. Doc Gallows:

Yano's face was all fucked up from the Tenzan shoot headbutt and bloodflow. "Shake hands, I'm gentleman, gentleman!" said Yano. One good thing about no commentary is hearing Karl Anderson at ringside "you dumbass" - after Doc missed a clubbering blow to Yano's back. Magic Killer by the baddies for the win. Was enjoyable silliness. *1/2

1:51:00

Togi Makabe vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan:

Don't know how much you can expect from this as Tenzan was broken down enough before splitting his head open the other day. Makabe hit meaty clotheslines to Tenzan's weak replies. Tenzan's arms are so skinny, it's weird seeing him off the roids-he might have been for years, I just always skip his matches. King Kong knee off the top for a Makabe win. Pretty nothing happening match. *

2:04:00 mark on NJPWworld;

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kota Ibushi:

The real man out second with his DOPE music! Crowd solidly behind Shibata. Some great stuff already at the start as Shibata tries to kick his head off his shoulders and barely misses, followed up by a huge uppercut forearm when Ibushi tries a springboard, and a big kick off the apron. Shibata series of forearms in the corner, when he runs to the other corner Ibushi follows only for Shibata to pull his hair and lay into him again. So good! Ibushi stole his forearm sequence and sliding kick to the face, but this just pissed Shibata off and Ibushi paid in forearms, stomps and kicks to the face. Ibushi kind of missed a moonsault outside. Shibata sadly selling for this for a couple of minutes as Ibushi kicks after being in a long figure 4 earlier. Thankfully Shibata begins to shake his head at these nonsensical happenings and rises to...sadly get hit by a floppy flop for a 2 count. He catches Ibushi's leg and Ibushi keeps trying to forearm him away, Shibata calls bullshit on that and hits a MEGA forearm to the face. Massive crowd chant for Shibata, none for Ibushi! Big German and kick no sell sequence that was good stuff. DVD by Shibata. Ibushi with some nonsensical punches that didn't look good, but did hit his boss kicks. Shibata swats him away with a big slap, sleeper hold and a Penalty Kick for the win! YES! A manly man wins! Very good match, best of the tournament so far. ***1/2

2:22:40 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale:

I love the translation of Fale's name into Japanese-Bad Rack Whare, should be sweet rack! Tanahashi sold and sold to get this match over, even doing a High Fly Flow to the outside. Two more regular ones should have got the win, but Bullet Club pulled the ref out. Same idiotic Red Shoes ref didn't DQ him! Bullet Club suck the life out of everything. Some kicking out of finishes. Splash off the top by Fale for the upset win. I was upset too. *1/2 for Tanahashi's one man show.

2:42:30

Tetsuya Naito vs. A.J. Styles:

Kind of a nothing match. Had good moves etc. but never seemed very fresh or intense. Best  it was Style's talking before the match about what an idiot Naito was coming to the ring in a suit and taking aged to get it off. Naito's lazy gimmick fails another match. *1/2

Day 8, Saturday, August 1: Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium: BLOCK B matches:

Multiple cameras and commentary!

Here's the 08/01/15 show on NJPWWorld.com:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_8_1

150801_njpw_g1_pict01.JPG

1:45:26 mark on NJPWworld;

Satoshi Kojima vs. Yujiro Takahashi:

The very definition of a nothing match on paper. Camera starting to get disturbingly close to Yujiro's lady's crack! Interference by Cody Hall as usual. "I don't know what happened" said Yujiro in English. There was a Kojima DDT on the apron and a Yujiro Powerbomb into the buckles. Brain buster by Kojima and a lariat for...Hall to pull the ref out, who also bumped over the rail. This early 2000s WWE 'highspot' is the shits. Hall comes in for some bumps and Yujiro wins with the Miami Shine silly slam. Crap. *

150801_njpw_g1_pict09.JPG

2:04:47 mark on NJPWworld;

Yuji Nagata vs. Karl Anderson:

I've always found Nagata to be an insufferable bore, and going against chubbed out lazy comedy Anderson does not a happy viewer make. As formulaic and obvious as you can get. Anderson won with something. 1/2*

150801_njpw_g1_pict18.JPG

2:21:15 mark on NJPWworld;

Tomoaki Honma vs. Michael Elgin:

Not been an Elgin fan at all so far. Love Honma though! Elgin did his delayed suplex with squat. I must apologise to him now as I said he was a fucking idiot for stealing Honma's spot early on a show, but of course it's building to Honma using his later. I hope. Hmm, it was kinda, but it was more like Elgin just spoilt a spot. Elgin slapping his thighs like crazy again making me to want to skip his stuff. He jumps off the top for a completely nonsensical silly knee thing. He did lift Honma all the way in from the outside to the top rope into a Falcon Arrow which was pretty damn impressive. Buckle power bomb thwarted by Honma headbutt! Another to the back! Huge Honma chant! Misses headbutt of the top. Honma got bumped around like a rag doll. Elgin wins with a spinning Powerbomb. Sad to see they won't put Honma over scrubs like this. **

150801_njpw_g1_pict33.JPG

2:37:14 mark on NJPWworld;

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii:

Nakamura's missed a few shows, so knowing the mentality if a Japanese wrestler, his arm must be comlletely focked. Ishii managed to sort of reverse powerslam Nakamura right on his bad arm-nice one! Red Shoes counted a 2.8 as what seemed 3, what a tool. Sliding D by Ishii. Kick and Bomaye to back of Ishii's head. One off the top leads too... A kick out! Falcon Arrow by Nakamura and a Bomaye for the win. Was kind of disjointed and never got going with any real selling, just taking turns. Very disappointing but understandable with Nakamura's injury. *1/2

150801_njpw_main_pict10.JPG

3:00:15 mark on NJPWworld;

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto:

Okada did his MASSIVE leap over the guardrail to hit Goto in the first row. This fella's such a great athlete and has years and years left in him. DDT off the rail follow up. Cool flying European uppercut by Okada to a downed Goto. great roll up sequence into a cool neck breaker by Okada then hits his

amazing dropkick, diving elbow, but fails a Rainmaker. Great stretch of reversals and headbutts before Goto finally Shoten's Okada for the win. Very good match, with good selling-it makes a big difference. **1/2

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, is anyone still watching this?

I stumble and fall as I see the finish line in the distance...

Day 9, Sunday, August 2: Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium: BLOCK A matches:

Oh man, the weakest line up yet, but we do have multiple cameras, but no commentary :(

Here's the 08/02/15 show on NJPWWorld.com:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_9_1

1:39:33 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Kota Ibushi:

Yawnzan against Flipper McGee! Tenzan stomped him, Flipper missed a second rope floor to the outside-who'd have thought he'd try that fresh move?! And he did about 3 rolls backwards after missing for some reason. Ibushi reversed a suplex. Lariato exchange sees Tenzan win out. Tenzan blocks a flip with his knees. Ibushi won with the Firebird splash. Not too bad. *

1:57:33 mark on NJPWworld;

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Bad Luck Fale:

BIG test for Shibata here! Shibata did an Inoki and fell to his back

immediately- IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER! Shibata with a cool forward roll into a takedown. Fale knocks him off the apron onto the guardrail. Fale beat him up some. Sleeper hold by Shibata, but Fale breaks it and gets him up for the Bad Luck Fall, but just as he tosses Shibata he drops him and gets caught in the sleeper again-okay, that was great! Fale sells by slobbering all over himself and gets a hard Penalty kick for the loss. Great ending! *1/2

2:10:22 mark on NJPWworld;

A.J. Styles vs. Doc Gallows:

Two matches in a row with massive disparities in talent. Will prob be short too. AJ with a springboard off guardrail into a choke slam on the apron, ouchy! Hayabusa springboard forearm by AJ. Calf Slicer attempt. HUGE Bloody Sunday RIGHT ON THE TOP OF DOC's HEAD-too sweeEEETTT! Not too bad. *

2:26:54 mark on NJPWworld;

Togi Makabe vs. Tetsuya Naito:

Naito takes seemingly five minutes to take off his suit. Gimmick is sure getting heat with me! Makabe gets pissed off and attacks only to be outsmarted. Naito pretended to get a head o' steam for a tope, only to lie on his back instead, funny. Naito pushes Red Shoes down and spits on him-NO DISQUALIFICATION! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON NEW Japan? ECW 'rules' to be used soon? So stupid. Big slam and a missed King Kong kneedrop by Makabe. Makabe smashed his head into the top of the post-Naito JUICED hardway I think. Spider suplex and a King Kong for Makabe. Good, but never really got going like you'd think a semi main would. *1/2

2:51:34 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano:

Tons of comedy. Some messing around with a chair and exposed the bubbles. Tanahashi wins with the High Fly Flow. Thought it'd be a bit better and surprisingly not Yano's best match so far in the G1! *

Pretty awful show, not offensive, just nothing happening.

Edited by paltaper

Day 10, Tuesday, August 4: Sendai Sun Plaza Hall: BLOCK B matches:

Multiple cameras, no commentary. Crowd are turned way down or quiet and the canvas is deafening!

Here's the split matches 08/04/15 show on NJPWWorld.com:

http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00333_10

Michael Elgin vs. Yujiro Takahashi:

Elgin with a press slam and delayed suplex with squats. Elgin with a Bam Bam Bigelow Nuclear Splash over the ropes into the ring. Elgin is somewhat like Buzz Sawyer, and is perhaps growing on me a little. German into the buckles by Elgin. Superplex by lifting Yujiro off the apron all the way over. Flip dive by Elgin off the apron. Yujiro with a Fisherman Buster on the floor. Powerbomb into the buckles by Elgin, followed by a sit out Powerbomb for the win. Better than expected! *1/2

Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomoaki Honma:

This should be good. God I HATE Honma's new music, what happened to the weird techno metal? At least he still has the Vampire Chicken robe! Honma took a few Koji Cutters, one off the second rope. Brain Buster by Honma. Lariato exchange. Honma tried his diving forward headbutt only to essentially get punched in the face. Kojima with a big lariat for the win. Alright. *1/2

Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii:

A hard kick and chop exchange. Exploder off the top by Nagata. Superplex by Ishii. Nagata doing a lot of rib selling. Powerbomb by Ishii. Exploder into the buckles by Nagata. What is this obsession everyone had with moves into the buckle? Roll the Dice tribute to Reno by Nagata. 2.6 off a bridged German by Nagata. Hard slap sequence with sweat flying. Sliding D and a lariato by Ishii for the win. Wasn't looking forward to this, but they hooked me in. Good work lads! **

Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson:

Okada chant by the fans, he looked so unflustered. Cool kick off the apron by Anderson, and a Powerbomb on the apron. Two teases of a count out by Okada. Okada played possum before nipping up into an attack sequence. Anderson with the knock off of Goto's knee neck breaker. Gun stun blocked and a flying European uppercut by Okada. Okada with a knee neck breaker and top rope elbow. Running Powerbomb by Anderson. Reverse Gun stun off the top. Okada blocked a Gun Stun and lifted Anderson from a lying position into a tombstone, great move! He then Rainmaker'd Anderson's ass for the win. Good match! **

Hirooki Goto vs. Shinsuke Nakamura:

Not a very good match. I know he's injured and all, but I'm starting to dislike Nakamura. He's all silly poses and shaking and lightweight in the substance-selling and storytelling. They did some stuff, not particularly great, and also did the worse thing possible-MULTIPLE KICK OF FINISHERS! The G1 last year was so great because when a finisher lands it was all over. This was like a WWE main event. Goto made sure to slam Nakamura right on his bad shoulder. Finishers kick outs and a Nakamura submission win. Crap. *

Day 11, Wednesday, August 5: Iwate Industrial Bunka Center Apio: BLOCK A matches:

It's a hard camera show with no commentary-fuck me!

Here's the split matches 08/05/15 show on NJPWWorld.com

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_11_1

1:38:25 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Bad Luck Fale:

This should be a classic! Match wasn't going too well when the useless Tama Tonga interfered just to make it worse. Tenzan was going to lock on the Anaconda, but decided not to do it and instead waste time by looking at Tonga before knocking him off the apron. What a fucking idiot! WWE style~! Splash off the too by Fale for the win. Dire. *

1:53:15 mark on NJPWworld;

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Toru Yano:

The polar opposites of each other-the joker and the straight man. Bet this will be good. Yano threw water at him so he got his head kicked in! Shibata went for the Penalty kick but hesitated, then tried and put on the arm breaker only to be rolled up and pinned in less than five mins! Upset! *

2:02:44 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Doc Gallows:

Gallows tried to miss something off the top and almost killed himself and maybe Tanahashi. Gallow's was meant to catch him off the top in a choke slam and they fucked that up too. Gallows with a big silly slam thing for 2.6. Tanahashi hit Reno's Roll The Dice. High Fly Flow hit knees. Gallows gets 2.8 off of a Jackhammer. Tanahashi rolling cradle for the win. SUCH A HOUSE SHOW! *

2:20:23 mark on NJPWworld;

Togi Makabe vs. A.J. Styles:

AJ took a few bumps on the guardrails. Camera 2 moved and zoomed in so we could see what was going on for once! Suplex into the buckles by AJ. AJ got his moonsault DDT after an interminable delay before flipping over. Styles Clash attempt. Springboard Hayabusa forearm. Meaty clothesline and flip bump by AJ. Makabe hit a Powerbomb but missed a King Kong kneedrop. Style's Clash for the win. Alright match, way above others here so far today. *1/2

2:39:05 mark on NJPWworld;

Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi:

Naito's gimmick follows the pattern of most exciting vibrant wrestlers basically giving it up and taking it easy at the expense of match quality-think Sasuke The Great for example. Boy, that sentence sucked! And so did the 'I'll slide under you Ibushi so you can mushroom stomp me' or whatever idiocy it was. Flipper did some flips. Usual routine stuff so far. He rocked my world with his fresh moonsault to the floor-go Flipper! They almost killed themselves when Naito tried a reverse frankensteiner off the top-he hit it, but it looked like they were trying to remove Ibushi's neck from his shoulders in the process. Some more 'I can't believe that's only a 2.8 count on my most magical night evah!' type overselling by Ibushi. Naito won with that fucking stupid slam where his opponent lifts him up and flips him around their heads for no apparent reason. Such a shit move. Crap match. *

A truly wretched show, so sad to see NJPW going steadily down the toilet.

Edited by paltaper

Day 12, Friday, August 7: Act City Hamamatsu: BLOCK B matches:

Hard cam, no commentary...for the love of Christ!

Here's the 08/07/15 show on NJPWWorld.com

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_12_1

1:30:49 mark on NJPWworld;

Yuji Nagata vs. Michael Elgin:

We'll see if Elgin continues to grow on me. They did a lot of stuff-Exploders and Powebombs into the buckles. Elgin's Falcon Arrow after lifting Nagata off the apron into a superplex first. Elgin got the win with a buckle Powerbomb and a regular one for the win. Short and fun. *1/2

1:48:08 mark on NJPWworld;

Tomoaki Honma vs. Karl Anderson:

Big Honma chant. They did all the stuff you'd expect. It's like watching Sombra in the G1 a few years ago hen he was incapable of doing anything other than a set routine. A few of the guys are coming across like this now. It was alright, nothing stuck out. *

2:05:35 mark on NJPWworld;

Satoshi Kojima vs. Hirooki Goto:

These guys aren't always the lost exciting when you think of them, but are good at selling which is different test days. Match was alright, but didn't seem to stand out too much-hard to tell with the hard cam no commentary set up. *

2:23:13 mark on NJPWworld;

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yujiro Takahashi:

Yujiro had his ho Cody Hall with him. This should be short with Nakamura injured. Hall interefered and Yujiro gave the ref a light shove. The ref proceeded to walk almost half the ring and climb up on the turnbuckle and look the opposite direction-that was fucking dire! They did some stuff, Nakamura won with some kicks. YEAOH! *

2:39:08 mark on NJPWworld;

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii:

They did some guardrail action that was way too hardcam far away. Okada used Suwa's John Woo dropkick at one point-'necessary training guys'! He hit anHeavy Rain Slam and the neck drop on the knee thing. Ishii comes close with a Sliding D and brain buster. Great German suplexes by Okada leading to the Rainmaker win. Love these guys! Good match with some fresher than normal reversals, taken down a notch by the production, or lack thereof. **

Another poor show, but with a very good main event worth catching. Skip the rest!

Day 13, Saturday, August 8: Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium: BLOCK A matches:

Mr. Bean ring announcer is back. I fucking hate this guy, he's a ring announcer-why's he putting himself over with Tanahashi's haircut? Bring bak W1 guy they got recently!

Cameras but no commentary!

Here's the 08/08/15 show on NJPWWorld.com

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_13_1

150808_kak_g1_other_pict06.JPG

1:34:45 mark on NJPWworld;

Kota Ibushi vs. Bad Luck Fale:

Two of my favourites-Flipper Mc Filleto Fish and Bad luck Fail! Fale stopped flipper from doing a patterned moonsault-well done Fale!

Not much too it. Ibushi can have the most incredible comebacks against the top guys but can't beat Fale, eh ok. I suppose he is big and used his finisher, but come on. Crap. *1/2

150808_kak_g1_other_pict14.JPG

1:51:00 mark on NJPWworld;

Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano:

I never thought I'd be wondering if Yano can get a good match out of Naito, but such is life and the way it ebbs and flows?! Naito has really lost it with this character, but I suppose his body is knackered already. He takes forever to disrobe, so Yano goes out and puts his jacket back on too-funny! Naito does his knock off of Sombra's lazy lay down pose...and Yano climbs back on the apron and does his, funny again! Naito throws the referee down and spits on him...EH, WHERE IS THE DISQUALIFICATION? NJPW going down the tubes with shite like this. Naito wins with the stupid 'why is the other guy lifting me up' finisher. Crap due to Naito. * for Yano only. Of course Naito attacks the ref after, which is perfectly ok here. Like hits him and later sliding dropkick him.

150808_kak_g1_other_pict25.JPG

2:05:10 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. A.J. Styles:

These guys had a good match last year I think, and AJ on Observer said he was looking forward to that which was above break from 'I want to face Ibushi' type talk you'd expect. Some good cocky heel talk from AJ early and he ate the guardrails. AJ collided with Red Shoes referee on a sliding dropkick-'what are you, stupid?!'. YEP! Maybe if he'd been watching the match rather than thinking of putting himself over he'd be ok! AJ started acting like a dick doing Tenzan's chops, before eating some and a great bump. Tenzan's always shouting 'oh, ok, come on, yeah!' type stuff, sounds so weird. AJ springboards in to eat a headbutt. Tenzan teases a moonsault-yeah right! AJ eats knees on second rope moonsault. Anaconda submission on for a while, AJ makes the ropes. Roll into a Calf Slicer for AJ. Good psychology and execution. *1/2

150808_kak_g1_other_pict34.JPG

2:23;56 mark on NJPWworld;

Togi Makabe vs. Doc Gallows:

A legit semi main event. No joking. What a tournament! Doc is a pretty agile big man. Lots of guardrail brawling. Gallows not wearing his jammies like last year. Great high kick by Doc. Meaty lariat exchange! DVD slam and King Kong knee by Makabe for the win. Good hard hiring brawl. *1/2

150808_kak_g1_main_pict09.JPG

2:38:36 mark on NJPWworld;

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata:

Should be great. Strangely we get the direct audio of most of Shibata's music-no complaints there! Same for Tanahashi, bit of a pop and atmosphere killer though. Lots of grappling at the start, which is a nice change compared to a lot of the matches so far. Tanahashi ROUGHED HIM UP! That was role reversal. Took turns Klingon each other with forearms and baseball dropkicks, including one where Shibata had a reason to land directly in Tanahashi's head with a stomp as he slides under-COMPLETELY UNLIKE IBUSHI'S NONSENSICAL VERSION OF THE SAME. Go Shibata! High jumping kicks to Tanahashi on the top rope. DVD by Shibata. Standing High Fly Flow flowed by a normal version-to knees and a roll up for 2.8! Shibata sleeper, Tanahashi fading! Penalty kick miss, Tanahashi with Backlund roll up, Shibata tries another sleeper from this position but is pinned! Very good match, makes me pine for last years G1 where almost every show had 2-3 matches this good, now it's one every 2-3 shows. **1/2

Day 14, Sunday, August 9: Tokyo Korakuen Hall: BLOCK B matches:

Multiple cameras and commentary!

Here's the 08/09/15 show on NJPWWorld.com

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00333_14_1

150809_kak_g1_other_pict05.JPG

1:24:03 mark on NJPWworld;

Karl Anderson vs. Michael Elgin:

Mad long delayed suplex by Elgin. Anderson WAY TOO RELIANT on that Gun stun on ropes, run him into post and then kick off apron DONE EVERY MATCH! Really spoiled surprise element it had originally. I would love to see Elgin in W*ING in an alternate universe. Elgin jumps of the ropes to do a front cracker-kind of like Cena's springboard stunner. Elgin Powerbombs Karl over the top onto Bullet Club, can't believe Anderson did that! Flip splash by Elgin, then a buckle bomb. ELGIN CHANT! Powerbomb reversed into Gun Stun for the win. Was fun, and crowd into it, but was SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT! *1/2

150809_kak_g1_other_pict10.JPG

1:41:46 mark on NJPWworld;

Satoshi Kojima vs. Yuji Nagata:

This was alright. They're both knocking on a bit and it shows, especially after multiple matches so far. Match was built around Nagata having bad ribs, with doctors checking. He got the win with the bridging back suplex. Yano laughing all the way on commentary. *1/2

150809_kak_g1_main_pict01.JPG

1:59:03 mark on NJPWworld;

Kazuchika Okada vs. Yujiro Takahashi:

Mao out with Yujiro. I know her name because of Talking Shop...honest! Match wasn't much halfway through. Okada faked Cody Hall on a Too Sweet :) Yujiro being the feckless dolt he is body slammed Okada over the top when he obviously meant to drop him neck first on the ropes. He then fucked up a corner charge and basically punched Okada in the nose-ouchy! Okada checked for blood. Okada put Yujiro on the top rope just to dropkick him off! I love this guy! He threw Yujiro over the guardrail then Cody Hall, and then LEPT OVER THE GUARDRAIL ONTO THEM-COOL! Yujiro with a buckle bomb and a Miami Shine slam for an undeserved 2.8! They kept asking Mao for comments-'gambate! she said here. Okada back with a neck drop breaker. Cody Hall in for double team and close fall after ref taken out. Of course IT'S FUCKING RED SHOES overacting as usual. Hall back in but eats a clothesline over the top. Sweet Okada dropkick, tombstone and a Rainmaker on Yujiro's dumb ass for the win. Okada carried it all. Good. *1/2

150809_kak_g1_other_pict26.JPG

2:19:04 mark on NJPWworld;

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomoaki Honma:

Gedo in tondo commentary- RAAAAAIIINNNNNMAKAAAAA!!!! Honma out second, wow! Deserves it though. I saw my first Honma match in 2000. The classic two BJPW deathmatches with Ryuji Yamakawa. He was a real stand out performer. After a few years lost with AJPW and millions of indies it's great to see him really 'make it'. He also has an impeccable tan! Nakamura drops him throat first on guardrail. Well, was supposed to be but more dumped him ribs first-ouch! What's with all the sloppy dangerous botches tonight? That was really sore looking. Honma got a lot of offence, delayed suplex, brain buster, Bernard driver etc. Nakamura kind of fell over sliding past Honma in what was meant to be a Bomaye. Nakamura continues to be OFF THE BOIL. He beat Honma with Bomayes. WAY TOO MUCH KICKING OUT OF FINISHES! Was harmless fun. *1/2

150809_kak_g1_main_pict30.JPG

2:35:51 mark on NJPWworld;

Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii:

They exchanged SEVENTY FOREARMS in one exchange! Jesus, these guys really beat the shit out of each other. I started to feel bad for Ishii after he took a TOP ROPE FIREMAN'S CARRY INTO A REVERSE NECK BREAKER-Holy god that looked awful. Headbutts, MEATY clotheslines and BEATINGS FOR ALL! Goto went over with the Shoten Kai. Was very good, but I'm fighting through resistance to the product now that they've wasted so much of my god damned time! **

So much for Tokyo matches being better, crowd was way into it, but action was lacklustre. The americanisation of the product is very disturbing- ref bumps, interfering, kicking out of finishes to build 'epic' matches. The polar opposite of last year where it was exciting that you knew a finisher meant a guy had lost the fight clean. Sad. Main was good, but hard not too feel a little cheated.

I'm still watching. Half way through day 16. I am kinder than you on most of it but it is a slog sometimes. AND I'm doing the prelims!

I saw that! Jesus, I think I'd die if I did the tag matches too!

I know my 'ratings' aren't glowing, but I've become pissed off with Meltzer rating anything remotely competent *** and up. I think average matches should be * and go up from there. Kobashi/Misawa matches are debatable four or five star matches, Ibushi in a mid card match is not. Context and perspective is equally as important in how good a match is as the amount and quality of spots is.

Those dire Young Bucks multi team matches no way have ever gone ****1/2 etc. It's fucking crackers!

I think the length of this tourney has knocked some fans off....maybe killed them!

Edited by paltaper

1 star always meant "abysmal" to me, not average. Kind of a pet peeve. i don't care if it's the most un-wrestling way to rate, 2.5 will always be "average" to me or what's the point of a 5 scale. I'd rather use a 10-scale and rate in quarter fragments anyway.

/loser nerd discussion OVER

I am still watching this, but fell a fair bit behind. Next is day 14 for me I think. Will probably bulk a bunch on Sunday. Tanhashi/Shibata and Ishii/Okada were very good, but I think me favs are still Tanhashi/Ibushi, Styles/Ibushi and Shibata/Ibushi. only just realised all those matches contain Ibushi, fair play to him. Styles/Shibata and Tanhashi/Naito just behind those.

Edited by sj5522