NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Cheers air raid. We arrive on Saturday morning. Maybe a good idea would be to head down to the Sumo arena on Saturday to buy the tickets?

Maybe, if you find out where the Ryogoku box office is and what time it opens, which I don't know. I only ever rocked up at Sumo Hall with tickets already in hand. If it were me, I'd head to Dome City, try and get tickets at the New Japan shop, perv at the other stuff while you're there (and get tempted on 70 quid for a Tanahashi box set), head back over to the Blue Building and take some snaps because Korakuen Hall is inside, then get a burger at Vickys and get mindlessly drunk, then sit outside trying to guess from passers-by whether it's baseball or a K-Pop concert going on. Teenage girls, either way.

• Paid Members

Random thought - for the sake of new blood in the division, surely Ricochet & Sydal have to win the Super Junior tournament. I've seen all the combinations of reDRagon/Bucks/Splitters so many times I have ZERO interest in watching a match exclusively involving any two or all three of those teams EVER again, and no sooner did Roppongi Vice form, that they've reached saturation too. They could honestly do with 2/3 fresh teams to keep things moving at this point.

They should just merge the tag belts, I couldn't even tell you who's holding the heavyweight ones.

Disappointed Ishii v Honma is only at Power Struggle. A massive hoss with a Honma win at WK would be an amazing moment

Random thought - for the sake of new blood in the division, surely Ricochet & Sydal have to win the Super Junior tournament. I've seen all the combinations of reDRagon/Bucks/Splitters so many times I have ZERO interest in watching a match exclusively involving any two or all three of those teams EVER again, and no sooner did Roppongi Vice form, that they've reached saturation too. They could honestly do with 2/3 fresh teams to keep things moving at this point.

Absolutely with you on that. Just thinking the same myself an hour or two back. Haven't followed ROH for 10 years or so, for a reason, I'm not that interested. The sorry lack of upcoming NJ talent is a real problem & it's been the same for years in that respect. Personally, I'd rather see other Japanese wrestlers coming in. I miss Tanaka for one. Wouldn't mind seeing; Zack Sabre, Daisuke Sekimoto, Shuji Ishikawa & others getting some time in there. That said, I don't know the ins & outs of such arrangements & I was pleased to see Kengo Mashimo a few years ago & that didn't pan out particularly well. I suppose from a business perspective, it makes sense to have a decent compliment of Americans there. Doesn't do much for me though & fuck off with the English commentary teams.

2e2f73440846171.jpg 33d31a440846175.jpg

Everybody adopting a reverential funeral stance for some reason.

Edited by KingofSports

They should just merge the tag belts, I couldn't even tell you who's holding the heavyweight ones.

Disappointed Ishii v Honma is only at Power Struggle. A massive hoss with a Honma win at WK would be an amazing moment

Can't agree with you on that one. Honma's very, very limited. Nice to see him have 'his day' at this year's G1 (12/8, I think) but couldn't live with Ishii if it really came down to it. As far as I'm concerned he's had his mid-upper card run. He should toddle off and play with Capt. New Japan & Taguchi....but that's not too likely at present.

Edited by KingofSports

I only fully got into the product this year, shame really as the booking is a bit static seeming right now.

Honma's over as shit though, had a blast watching his G1 matches probably more than any other competitor, they were formulaic but I loved them. Couldn't figure out why he couldn't gain a bit of momentum after the Ishii win.

If they're gonna do slow-moving things like run Tana/Okada again (not that I have any issue with that, should be great), stick the IC belt back on Shinsuke, stick the NEVER belt back on Ishii, then Ishii-Honma seems a fine fit for WK. Who would be a better opponent for Ishii at the Dome in your opinion? Only person I can think of who I'd enjoy as much would be Shibata.

Hadn't given it any thought to be honest mate & I have no idea what the plan is, or who'll have what belt, come the time. I thought AJ was likely to challenge for the IWGP Title at WK, but that's seemingly not on the cards at the moment, so it proves I know shit. I don't have a massive problem with Honma, other than in a different era, he probably wouldn't have got the run that he's had. The guy was no more than a card filler in NJPW & other companies for 10-12 years, following BJW. Shibata, Nagata, Ibushi, Naito, Goto, Anderson would all be suitable opponents for Ishii, or any other 'name' that they don't have imminent plans for. Hopefully not Makabe, as he tends to bore the shit outta me. A match with Sakuraba would be, well, something or other, but about as likely as me getting a shot. Incidentally, Shinsuke is current I.C Champ. He won it back last month.

Edited by KingofSports

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't news, just a comment. I checked Tana's Wiki whilst doing a little research & in the process spotted that Meltzer had 5-star'd the G1 FINAL match against Nakamura. It barely gets a mention on here. So, either virtually everyone bailed on the tournie before the finals (unlikely), or he's talking out of his arse...again. Personally, I had it as a recommended match, in the grand scheme of things, no more than that. Possible NJ MOTY contender, but that pairing have certainly had better matches, over the years. Just struck me as odd, as do a lot of his 'decrees'. Though it's not his fault that someone, somewhere, sometime decided to elevate his status to that of the king-maker, or whatever the phrase is that I'm actually looking for. It's an argument nobody can really ever win or lose, but he does seem at times, to randomly accredit greatness to certain matches, pretty much out of the blue. Maybe he watches that much crap that any major Japanese match looks legendary.

• Paid Members

I don't really do ratings but it was a great match. However, a 5-star match indicates it was perfect and it certainly wasn't that. I don't even think it was MOTY, and not even MOTY in New Japan. But it's Meltzer and Meltzer's gonna be Melzter, you know?