NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Pointless booking for a pointless match. ROH have virtually got their own Dome show outta this.

I think that's rather unfair to say. With 10 title matches, this is a big thing for NJPW; probably their biggest show to date. Having ROH talent only adds to that success, but it would be just as successful without them. Elgin has his own following in Japan, its not necessarily a ROH match at all; if anything i see that match in itself more NJPW vs ROH as I see Elgin more of a NJ talent these days.

For a start there are 8 Title matches. As far as it being their biggest show, you really need to do your homework. Not even close. A match between 2 members of ROH's roster, for the ROH Title is an ROH match, however you view it.

Christ, want to be any more condescending?

Don't see as much NJPW as I'd like, but always make an effort for WK. Lots to be excited about with this card.

• Paid Members

Also be careful about when you sign up. Wait until we're into January.

If you sign up today they'll charge you now for December and then again for January on the 1st. That's especially uneconomical if you then cancel after WK. You'll be paying 2 months for a few days service, which is probabaly still a bargain, but avoid if you can (source: it happened to me).

Edited by Benno

Pointless booking for a pointless match. ROH have virtually got their own Dome show outta this.

I think that's rather unfair to say. With 10 title matches, this is a big thing for NJPW; probably their biggest show to date. Having ROH talent only adds to that success, but it would be just as successful without them. Elgin has his own following in Japan, its not necessarily a ROH match at all; if anything i see that match in itself more NJPW vs ROH as I see Elgin more of a NJ talent these days.

For a start there are 8 Title matches. As far as it being their biggest show, you really need to do your homework. Not even close. A match between 2 members of ROH's roster, for the ROH Title is an ROH match, however you view it.

Christ, want to be any more condescending?

Don't see as much NJPW as I'd like, but always make an effort for WK. Lots to be excited about with this card.

Sorry. I'd forgotten people normally get away with talking bollocks on this forum, without getting called out or corrected. Glad to you're making the effort for WK10. It means a lot.

• Paid Members

So Wrestlekingdom was absolutely amazing. Disappointed I couldn’t watch it live – the English commentary team was pretty inoffensive for the most part, although Yoshitatsu somehow managed to be the worst thing in a 3 man booth that had Matt Striker in it. There was obviously a language and experience barrier for him, so fair enough – but he was there to provide translation and he didn’t really do much of that, instead offering bizarre analysis like repeatedly questioning why AJ Styles was even bothered about winning the IC title, during the actual match for that title. Kevin Kelly was completely non offensive and average, which is his ceiling and Striker was at least limiting his cringe worthy moments. They did a passable job overall and did come good for the drama in the last two matches.

There was definitely a bit too much ROH on the show - Cheeseburger being in the Battle Royal I could live with (although KING HAKU was by far the best surprise there) but Lethal/Elgin was where I hit my limit. Elgin is getting over big and could have done without a match that Truth Martini all over it. Even in ROH, the book/house of Truth stuff comes across as the most poundland gimmick ever, nevermind at the Tokyo Dome.

The rest of the undercard was pretty great though, the Bullet Club vs Honma/Makabe tag was way better than I’d have ever thought. Absolutely the best shift Doc Gallows and the new slimline NXT ready Karl Anderson have put in in months. Your opinion on the 8 man Jnr tag will live or die on whether you’re open to that type of match - I think I enjoyed last year’s one a bit more just because you had JR there trying to call it, quite clearly seething, hating everything about the match. There was probably a bit too much Young Bucks comedy and not enough of the devilishly handsome Sydal/Ricochet team doing flips but overall it was a fine opener. Kushida (with Taguchi dressed as Doc Brown!) vs Omega was really good too – surprised if WWE are raiding they’e not looking at Kenny Omega. Even if you find his gimmick over the top, he carries himself like a star and everything he does in the ring is just so crisp and fitting.

The big take away for the show though was those last 3 matches. You had Ishii and Shibata having the manliest match of all time, then you had AJ and Nakamura having an almost perfect dream match, that lived up to all expectations despite AJ by all reports still being nackered. And then you had that Okada/Tanahashi match, which is going to be regarded as one of the best matches of all time - especially in the context of their feud. It built on everything from their previous matches (and you could fairly argue about what ranks where) and had a just epic last 10 minutes. Nothing working for either man with Nakamura going back to the leg and Okada refusing to sell the damage and powering through was just perfect. That visual of Oakda refusing to let go of Tanahashi’s arm when he was going for the Rainmaker will stick forever. Just top notch emotion and storytelling for a perfect professional wrestling match.

It’s a shame everyone is buggering off to WWE but bloody hell. If you’re one of those people all excited about that, but didn’t watch this show, probabaly have a word with yourself. Well worth the 6 quid for NJPW World.

Edited by Benno

I signed up to NJPW World specifically for this event, having heard almost overwhelmingly positive things about it. I've not watched much in the way of Japanese wrestling previously but I really enjoyed the show. It seems a shame to just cancel my subscription, particularly as I'm probably not going to miss £6 a month. If anyone has any recommendations for events to watch please go ahead and recommend away!

• Paid Members

Other people can give you a better idea historically, but I'd say if you enjoyed last night it's worth going back a couple of years to WrestleKingdom 6 or 7 and working your way through those and if you have time, the big events like Invasion Attack, Dominion, G1 finals, Power Struggle etc.

Worth noting there was another show that just finished airing this morning called New Year Dash that is usually a good "Raw after Wrestlemania" type show.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

Striker is like a cross between Scott Keith and Gorilla Monsoon.

Lesson learned today: always look at the listed Japanese time (JST) and figure out the UK time from there. Right now the listed US times (EST/PST) on the NJPWorld schedule page are out by an hour. I think it's because Japan doesn't do summer time.

I wouldn't touch English commentary with a ten foot pole. Listening to Liger during the main event was much more fun. It's like a 10 year old watching Hogan/Warrior.

Echo the love for the show overall. Skipped the opener because once you've seen one 4 team jr tag title match you've seen them all. 

I don't know who was with Yujiro but I know she wasn't Mao-chan so that match can fuck right off.

I generally find Kenny Omega as "the Cleaner" to be pure Wrestlecrap but I though he was excellent here. Not quite sure about Japanese Emmet Brown but hey its Japan. Important that Kushida finally went over on the big stage and now hopefully has a proper run with the belt.

See above for the tag-title match. The BC as tag champs were beyond stale. Makabe and Honma could have some great matches with........right anyway I'm still glad they won

Surprised Cunt Naito got squashed by Goto. I even thought Naito might have squeaked a win over Tana at the last big show and put himself in the main event, so awesome has his heel turn been. Guessing Goto gets to job the Okada in February (again)

Personaly I think the Never belt is a little below Shibata but at least it shows that the office has finally forgiven him for wasting his youth in MMA. Could be the start of big things (especially with some space at the top of the card)

AJ/Nakamura and their "see you in DisneyWorld" fist bump. Cheeky fuckers. Great match though

Loved loved loved the main. As written before it was a perfect homage/addition to the greatest rivalry of this decade. NJ's booking over the last year/18months has been a little underwhelming at best. Always great matches but when you look at the vice like grip the BC have had on the tag belts, and all IWGP Heavy title matches have involved Tana, Okada and Styles for the last couple of years (guest apperance the androgynous Kota Ibushi and Hirooki "Lex Luger" Goto) things needed a shake up. Alright so Okada won but I get the feeling that this has written Tana out of the IWGP title picture for a while. NJ did such a good job booking the Jr and tag title match to have the right result I near exploded when Okada won this one. Finally the man.

For anyone wanting more New Japan I'd advise starting at Wrestlekingdom 6 (2011) where Okada makes his big return and starts the feud with Tanahashi. The two matches they have in April and Oct 2013 are incredible (as is their match from last years Wrestlekingdom). The G1 climax tournament is often the highlight of the year and the 2014 version is hands down the best tournament in wrestling history. 

There's another big show next month but there's more than enough to keep you going until then on NJW