NJPW World

Sphinx

Ouch, Nakamura didn't wrestle today's show. Forfeited the match to Michael Elgin.

Next block B is August 1st, so we'll see then if he can continue in the tournament or not..

Tournament could be fucked as he's surely the clear favourite to win :/

• Paid Members
Tournament could be fucked as he's surely the clear favourite to win :/

I don't know if clear favourite is right. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they recognized how good AJ has been and let him go on last at Wrestle Kingdom by virtue of winning the G1.

True, I was hoping for a Shinsuke-AJ final though, so in that sense it's a real loss. Not that Okada wouldn't be almost as good, but fuck - that needs to be the final don't it?

Block B is defo a write-off if Nakamura can't continue

• Paid Members

Day 4 thoughts:

Total nothing show. The prelims were kinda dull, breaking the run of fun opening matches. Although, I actually enjoyed a Fale match, which had zero to do with Fale.

G1 matches were a mixture of dull and perfectly acceptable professional wrestling matches. The main event was fine, with a super finish, but otherwise a forgettable show.

• Paid Members

I think Nakamura will be good to go by August 1st. Really looking forward to every match he is in having added drama due to the injury. I hope the New Japan Office has recognised that THE match that people want to see is Nakamura vs Styles. I want it either as the G1 Final or as main event of Wrestle Kingdom. C'Mon Gedo, sort it out son!

Anyways...

DAY 6 YOU CUNTS!!!

Skipped the fuck out of the first match due to Takahashi being it (such a waste of a good spot). Honma/Goto is WELL WORTH YOUR TIME, FOLKS! Easily in my Top 5 of the tourney so far. So, so good. Ishii/Anderson was pretty great aswell and Okada/Kojima was average; nothing bad but nothing great either.

Tomorrow is going be short and sweet; out of the five matches, only two are worth watching and they are going to be fucking blinders; Styles/Naito and Ibushu/Shibata!!!

BTW, here are the current standings in this lovely Google Doc

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

The "Nakamura should be fine to comeback on Saturday" theory works fine until you see he's scheduled against Ishii on that show. Ain't no working careful and taking it easy in that one.

There is a get-out if they really want to ; Nakamura orders his Chaos subordinate to go easy on him.

Of course, being New Japan, they wouldn't do that.

• Paid Members

Up and atom for Day Seven!

Shibata/Ibushi rocked all kinds of balls. Don't skip on this. Don't skip on Naito/Styles either. Styles' trash talk at the start is tremendous. I said a big FUCK YOU to everything else. They were probably 5 star classics and 2.5 on the muta scale.

• Paid Members

Skip Hash vs Fale, it will only distress and anger.

Shibata v Ibushi was a belter. Sexy bastard played crash mat to Ibushi's flashy stuff only an extremely limited amount and as such got the best "this is a fight" fight out of him since the Nakamura match two years ago. I much prefer the sleeper then PK for a go-home rather than the G2PK which I feel is a bit over-egging the pudding - the sleeper combo is much more fitting for a guy as efficient as "The Wrestler" and right now I'd love to see him and MiSu go at it, for obvious reasons. Shibata gets overlooked quite a lot but he might be my favourite native and I'd love to see him get a main event title match with Tana, Okada or AJ.

He ain't winning the G1 though. Wrestle Kingdom surely to high heavens will either have AJ challenging for the belt or play host to the massively anticipated Okada v Nakamura "proper grudge match plus its for the belt" match that they haven't ever had.

Edited by air_raid

I'm assuming this is the best place to ask - what are some of AJ Styles' best matches post-TNA?  I've heard he's been excellent in New Japan.

v Minoru Suzuki at last years G1

v Adam Cole at ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds

v Ibushi at Invasion Attack '15

v Okada at Dominion 7.5

I'm assuming this is the best place to ask - what are some of AJ Styles' best matches post-TNA?  I've heard he's been excellent in New Japan.

[3.5.14, Dontaku] vs. Okada

[25.5.14, BACK TO THE YOKOHAMA ARENA] vs. Okada

[4.8.14, G1] vs. Karl Anderson

[11.2.15, New Beginning in Osaka] vs. Tanahashi

[5.4.15, Invasion Attack] vs. Ibushi

[5.7.15, Dominion] vs. Okada

• Paid Members

No love for the Naito match at Wrestle Kingdom? I thought that was a cracker. And to be honest I enjoyed the unofficial "3rd place play-off" against Tanahashi from last year's G1 finals day as much, maybe more as the title match from New Beginning.