NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

The main event was a good match, but it wasn't as good, for me, as either of their last two matches. I must admit, I found Styles' standup comedy routine of shouting things at the ref, the crowd, Tana and his Bullet Club mates a little tiring. I'm not spoiler tagging this in the slightest because if you are waiting on watching the New Japan PPV and you come here and read the New Japan thread, you're a fucking moron that deserves to have things spoiled for you - AJ's win was completely predictable, as since Tana and Okada had their last huge title match at Wrestle Kingdom, it makes sense to keep them apart for a while. The easiest way to keep them apart is to put the big belt on someone else, and the logical choice for that spot right now is Styles. Also, while I think they have had better matches, the finishing sequence of Pele, piledriver, Bloody Sunday and Styles Clash was fucking brutal and I completely bought it as the finish. They can, of course, tell the story that Tanahashi was doing alright and may have won had he not split his head open, when they build for the eventual rematch.

I was gutted that Goto/Shibata lost the tag belts. I understand the logic behind the Bullet Club renaissance and second dose of belt collecting, I really do, especially with AJ getting put back on top, but I don't consider Super Best Friends an acceptable casualty of that booking decision. I know that not * EVERY * long chase storyline with eventual pay-off has to warrant a lengthy title reign, and sometimes the moment of victory is much more important than the reign that follows, but I thought there was lots of mileage in their defences, especially against guys from Chaos or Suzuki-gun, a potential rematch with Tanahashi & Makabe, or against anyone that beat them in the World Tag League. Basically, I was looking forward to tag title matches without Anderson and Gallows in, who after 12 months on top already are a little played out.

Finally, Honma/Ibushi was utterly nuts, complete balls to the wall stuff. Fair enough, I didn't truly buy that New Japan's next big star was in danger of actually losing, but it was a great match. Ibushi really has the potential to be that great fiery high-flying babyface, the underdog that actually makes it to the top. He's essentially going to out-Naito Naito.

Really looking forward to Nakamura/Nagata on Sunday, too.

Edited by air_raid

I'm with you on understanding the logic behind giving all the belts to the Bullet Club but for those of us watching 12 months ago it's all a bit deja vu. I felt the same way about the main. The tag match was probably Anderson and Gallows' best outing as a team I thought. Super Best Friends had a lot more mileage in them as tag champs but I can only assume that a. TMDK are being brought in as faces (them as outsiders vs, SBF would make more sense) and b. Goto is winning the NJ Cup and inevitably choking against AJ in April.

Roman Reigns could learn a lot from poor Naito about handling a hostile crowd. I have no idea what he ever did to Osaka but they really killed his autumn 2013 push to the main event.

Maybe it's just my imagination but I thought Alex Shelly looked incredibly bored during the Jr. Tag Title match. How long has he been doing the same match now? If NJ are going to have all these Mexican's they could use them to break up the never ending cycle of Bucks/Timesplitters/Hooligans(RIP)/ReDragon matches. And there are a ton of jr teams on the Japanese indies who would be worth having around for a tour or two

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Hate to bring up an old topic but i've been searching around for a while now and found no answer to my dilema. I log into New Japan World, and when ever i translate the page, i get automatically logged out. It's incredibly frustrating as it means i have to find where i want to go, memorise the steps, sign in and then navigate by memory. It happens with both Chrome and Firefox. Anyone found a fix for this?

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

A word to the wise - if you decide to cancel New Japan World, either don't (the best decision)- or do it before the last day of the month. New Japan World's cycle runs as a calender month, so you get charged on the 1st of the month regardless of the date you originally signed up - any cancellation is immediate also, so you can't cancel in the middle of the calender month and keep watching until the month ends.

I hadn't been using it much so I thought I'd be clever and cancel on the 31st May - the cancellation went through and I no longer have access, but I still got charged on the 1st June for another month. Apparently I should have cancelled on the 30th, as the 31st was too late to stop the next months payment. Their help email aren't being particularly helpful thus far - don't think I'll be getting a refund.

That teaches me for being cheap I suppose - I thought I wouldn't need it again until the G1 in July so thought I'd bin it and get Amazon Prime for a month instead - but now I've paid for June anyway, and kind of want to watch the BOSJ final after all. I am an idiot.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

I thought I wouldn't need it again until the G1 in July

You're a mental. The Dominion card as announced is fucking brilliant and looks a can't-miss if you're a New Japan fan, which I'm guessing you are if you signed up for New Japan World :

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano

JUNIOR TITLE : Kenny Omega vs. Super Juniors winner

TAG TITLE : Kingdom vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows

NEVER TITLE : Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii

I TITLE : Hirooki Goto vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

IWGP TITLE : AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada

That's mad.

Omega v KUSHIDA will be the balls and since O'Reilly didn't win, I'm guessing Bucks/reDRagon or Bucks/reDRagon/Roppongi Vice will be added for the Junior tag belts too. And an old bastards multi-man with some combination of Honma, TenKoji, Nagata, Nakanishi, Liger etc.

• Paid Members

I thought I wouldn't need it again until the G1 in July

You're a mental. The Dominion card as announced is fucking brilliant and looks a can't-miss if you're a New Japan fan, which I'm guessing you are if you signed up for New Japan World :

Dominion is also in July.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Could any users of this service possible help me out? trying to find out if I could watch this via my Xbox One? I'm guessing via streaming it through the web browser?

I tried that round my mate's house and it didn't work. I think he said it was because the XBox browser doesn't have Flash.

• Paid Members

G1 talk?

Tanahashi vs Ibushi was the shit. Worth the £5 and change that NJWorld costs. Shibata vs AJ was good, not blow away, but enough to satisfy. I loved Shibata biting his own hand in order to put more preasure on his choke hold.

Not watched the undercard as they involved big lumbering oafs who i have no interest in and the the tag matches are house show fodder. I'll just catch the two main events each day and any match involving Ibushi/Nakamura/Honma. There's all ready enough wrestling to watch this month without filling it up with the fucking Fale, Togi and Tenzan boring the joint up.