NJPW World

Sphinx

Thanks for the heads up there Lister. I also found this guide helpful as it didn't translate fully when it got the payment pages http://www.strongstyletranslations.com/2014/12/how-to-register-at-njpw-world.html?m=1 .

Currently watching the Okada/Styles match from Wrestling Dontaku.

As I don't have a chrome cast or anything of that ilk, I'll have to make do watching on the TV through an RGB cable.

I know it mentioned about an app on PS3, but could I not theoretically just watch through the browser on there?

• Paid Members

Nope, its Flash based and the PS3 browser only has a long outdated version. In fact NJPW have actually set the site up so that if you access it on the PS3 browser it displays a message telling you it won't work and listing the devices you can use.

• Paid Members

Im getting a error when loading media code #2032 on videos using a mac mini works fine via my htc one M8 anyone else had this problem on there mac.

That's a misconfiguration with Flash Server, so it's an issue NJPW’s end. Chances are they’ve uploaded something or tweaked something incorrectly, will notice themselves, and fix it soon enough.

Could also be a cookie error, so try logging out and in again if you haven’t already.

Are you logged into both devices simultaneously? As NJPW might only let you use one device at a time, to stop account sharing.

Edited by Your Fight Site

This may or may not be of use to subscribers; in 2013 & to mark its 30th anniversary, readers of the leading Japanese wrestling publication voted for their favourite matches (1983-2013). The complete list can be found at the link show below (go to the foot of the page). It took 2 of us a good few days to translate. I didn’t get around to noting which Promotion the matches were from, but in the main they should be fairly obvious to Puro fans, as they’re predominantly; NJPW, AJPW & NOAH. From my own perspective, it’s a pretty mixed bunch & to be honest I’ve little clue how some of the matches made it in there, perhaps they seemed better at the time. Anyway, it’s here for anyone interested, listed chronologically:-

http://puroresuview.blogspot.co.uk/p/puroresu-legends-arenas-promotions_22.html

• Paid Members

I took the plunge yesterday because the price was just too good value not to, I was going to pay for Wrestle Kingdom anyway, and knowing I can watch every big Sunday morning show live without paying the usual price is fantastic for me on top of the "I'll never be bored again" factor of having the back catalogue on tap.

I considered starting a new, diary-style separate thread for "Raid does watch on New Japan World today" but there's no point since the only people that would read it are likely to read this thread anyway.

So last night after tea I watched a single match to ease myself in and then one more before bed. Rather than go straight for some of the stuff I haven't seen, I decided to relive a couple of matches that I watched at the time, while I was actually in Tokyo, although matches I watched on YouTube rather than in person, between the shows I DID attend live.

Hiroshi Tanahashi VS Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Climax 2013, Korakuen Hall)

This match I simply had to watch again. Tana knows he's going to get a hard time at Korakuen so plays up to it by acting the dick straight from the start with repeated posing and refusing a clean break off the initial lock-up. At times it's a little like watching a rehash of the Yano match from two years earlier (which I was fortunate enough to see live) but Ishii's gritty determination tips it a little over in terms of match quality and he doesn't need the shortcuts that "YTR" does to make an exciting match. Hash never really gets out of second and makes the mistake of trying to FIGHT Ishii a little too often and a powerslam on the floor sets the tone early. After a comeback flurry Tana is crotched up top when he starts thinking High Fly Flow and eats a superplex then a Last Ride for a convincing two count. There's a further exchange of strikes and in my favourite part of the match, Tanahashi attempts a tiger suplex with Ishii escapes with a backwards headbutt, Tanahashi angrily slaps Ishii round the face, but the "Stone Pitbull" responds by wiping him out with a positive awesome enzuigeri, displaying dexterity I didn't know he had. The ending is sublime with Tana missing the High Fly Flow and eating a lariat and a brainbuster for a heart-stopping nearfall, before Ishii pops Korakuen by obliterating their boo boy with a Steiner Screwdriver for the cleanest of clean pins. This was a real "coming out" party for Ishii and while I'm gutted I wasn't able to get a ticket to see it live, it holds up well on the small screen. If you'd had this for the main event of a big, tour-ending show, you'd have been very satisfied indeed.

Shinsuke Nakamura VS Kota Ibushi (G1 Climax 2013, Osaka)

The Osaka show was simply stunning with Shibata/Ishii (incredible), Naito/Suzuki, Tana/Devitt and Okada/Makabe all worth a mention, so this had a lot to follow, but it absolutely was the right choice to go on last. I mostly watched this as an appetizer for the forthcoming rematch and my God, it's a belter. This was one of the matches that really made me sit up and realize that Ibushi could contest a realistically competitive match with the BEST of New Japan's heavyweights. The story is straightforward with the Intercontinental champ having the edge in strength, size, experience and simply being "better" than the DDT rep, but Ibushi being quicker and thus always being in with a chance. There's some good mat work, some shenanigans on the outside (with Osaka shouting "YEOW!" every time Shins'kay hits a strike) and a truly state-of-the-art match unfolds. Ibushi drops my jaw with a corkscrew Asai moonsault to the floor and again when he follows up a standing Shooting Star press by handspringing back to his feet and going straight into a middle rope moonsault reminiscent of Nakamura's El Niño. The sight of Ibushi kicking out of a Boma Ye at one is amazing as is when he lamps the much bigger Nakamura with a huge elevated Liger bomb. Ultimately Ibushi just falls ever so short, taking a savage Boma Ye to the back of the head then a standard one to put him down without question. The match was an adrenaline rush watching it unspoilt the first time and remarkably the junior heavyweight outsider (at the time) had no problems convincing me at points that he was about to pin the 3-time IWGP Heavyweight Champion. It stands up to a re-watch, and has made me truly excited for the rematch at Wrestle Kingdom, which for me has the potential to eclipse Tanahashi v Okada for match of the night honours.

So, that was last night.

• Paid Members

Last night I watched :

Katsuyori Shibata VS Hirooki Goto, Wrestle Kingdom VIII

I watched this as I've been really looking forward to the pair of them getting their tag title shot on 4th January which I fully expect them to win, and I wanted to refresh my memory as to how their brutal rivalry ended/the respect was formed. In truth maybe the match isn't as good as I remember, but it's still very good. The opening couple of exchanges are excellent and really highlight the simmering tension between the two. About half way through is when it really heats up and there is a section where they exchange big boots vs clotheslines and then later keep knocking each other down for one counts before eventually both struggle to get up, and then have a spot where they each keep back suplexing each other in one of those no-sell sequences that epitomize why some people struggle to get into puro - you'll either accept it or consider it nonsense. Goto kicks out of the PK and though Shibata fails to execute Go 2 Sleep he hits a pretty nasty head breaker. Goto rallies and hits two consecutive of his own, one from the firemans carry and then holding on and hitting another from the inverted headlock position. He wallops Shibata with a lariat to the back of the head, then another from the front which Shibata attempts to shrug off but then runs into a third which turns him inside out. Goto lamps him with Shouten Kai for the surprising victory, as many people earmarked Shibata for a run at the title.

Goto definitely needed the win ahead of their impending partnership so they could look more like equals, and after Okada defeated Naito on the same night THIS win started making a lot of us think that Goto was finally going to get his turn. He didn't, of course, but his title match with Okada in February was excellent and went to prove how good New Japan can be at building up challengers even for when they aren't going to be winning. In terms of THIS match, it was a war, but it wasn't quite what I remembered. The first few minutes and last few minutes really stand out though, and maybe that's what I remembered most. Still, cracking match which I will still revisit.

• Paid Members

I just watched on my lunch break :

(Intercontinental title) Shinsuke Nakamura VS Katsuyori Shibata (08/11/14, Osaka)

I had not seen this match and was really looking forward to hugely as it pits two of my three favourite wrestlers in New Japan against each other. As two guys that are both super smooth and know each other, the opening sparring is very satisfying especially when Shinsuke only just avoids getting his head kicked off. Shibata takes the lead with some brutal striking and a stretch I had never seen, like an Octopus but pinning both of Nakamura's arms behind his back. Nakamura rallies but twice Shibata proves how well he knows the champion, first by reacting to the reverse powerslam with a desperation German suplex so he isn't prone for a Boma Ye attempt, and then countering a subsequent attempt with a dropkick. Nakamura kicks out of Go 2 Sleep and ducks an attempt at the PK, pulls Shibata to the floor and lamps him with a Boma Ye to the back of the head, followed by a standard one, for a ridiculously believable near fall, then finally puts him away with the standing variation. At 17:05 it's shorter than a lot of New Japan main events but what they assemble is intense, believable and a brilliant watch. I absolutely loved this match and would fully endorse a Shibata run with either the Intercontinental or preferably heavyweight title. He's the balls.